Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LA Gathering
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you attend a lonelygirl15 convention in LA California?
Yes
34%
 34%  [ 36 ]
No, unfortunately I wouldnt be able to attend
65%
 65%  [ 67 ]
Total Votes : 103

Languorous Lass
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's okay, Pilate. You can't help it -- you were probably born that way.

(As a guy, I mean.)
Kasdeja
Hymn of One

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silenced

*edit* in response to BK

You cannot make another post so soon after your last; please try again in a short while.
Bagged, tagged, sold to the butcher at the store.
Ziola
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, yeah, convention...uh.......::crickets chirping::...........I'm on the east coast.....anyone wanna plan something out here?
Languorous Lass
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, BK, to get back to the topic of conventions . . .

I was about to say "Unless the storyline improves dramatically, I can't imagine why I'd want to show up." Then I realized that the main reason I visit this forum these days is to see what all of the other sick puppies who frequent the board are doing. So I might consider coming just to meet Forumites in person.

If the convention were scheduled at a time that was close to another, related convention -- for example, the San Diego Comic-Con International, aka SDCC, which is becoming far more of a media con than a comic con -- I'd be far more likely to show up. Plus the creators might be able to get on the SDCC schedule, which would give them vast exposure to an audience that might be extremely interested in their attempts to create a new means of storytelling.

SDCC takes place between July 25 and 29. Plus San Diego is a relatively short drive from LA. So scheduling an LG15 con for a date just before, or especially just after, SDCC might expand the number of people who would show up, as well as expanding the potential audience for LG15.

Or the LG15 con could be scheduled around another, similar media-focused con.

P.S. Ziola, I'm on the East Coast too . . .

EDITED because I are a BBCode idiot.
Ziola
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Hello, Lass...how you doin'? Cool
chershaytoute

Location: Oregon with an ocean view...across the neighbors' cow pasture, wow!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 months later...

Anybody up for doing meeting and greeting...

KTS, bunni? You still want help planning up anything? When I was doing GEnie, we used to have GEt toGEthers (note the interesting use of GEs throughout) up and down the Left Coast (since my partner and I ran the Left Coast RoundTable, and I drove up and down the coast several times a year, it worked out nicely... Very Happy We did everything from bowling (oh, dear! Laughing) to rollerskating (I rollerskate on my backside...interestingly enough...and it HURTS! <snicker>)

When I worked at the gaming company, we did a lovely dinner with bellydancing "do."

Hey, entertainment value is important!

Anyway, if you want help, I'm in! Just let me know what's been done...I'm ready to jump in with both feet...and likely to land square on my backside! Wink

WWggD - let's make the Breeniverse a better place to live...

Thanks to giddeanx for the coolest personal glue stick ever!
Sami
P. Monkey's Agent

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great idea. I'd go to LA for this
The Creators
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you guys can build up momentum for a meeting/party in LA sometime in May/June then I could work things on our end to get cast and crew involved. Thanks!

Miles
QtheC
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not in the LA area, but this sounds like a fun opportunity for some fan interaction, and a generous offer by the Creators.

All that would be needed is a location (hotel ballroom or a something like a big bowling alley that serves food/drinks would work), and to do some research on hotels for out-of-town visitors.

No doubt, some attending would photograph and video events and share them online.

When LOST fans from a forum called 'The Fuselage' organized similar events the last three years, they arranged with the producers to provide a list of charity auction items (things like signed magazines, posters, scripts, etc.) that fans could bid upon, with the money going to charity. This was very popular with fans and many bid remotely by proxy if they could not attend in person.

If you want more ideas, see this excellent forum set up for discussion about the "Lost Weekend" http://www.thefuselage.com/Threaded/forumdisplay.php?f=367
and the dedicated website for the event:
http://www.lost-radio.com/lostweekend/index.html

This website with its organization, rules, etc. is a very good model for someone to follow to put on a similar event. Big hotels have employees whose job is to help organize events, but some money may be involved to reserve a space. Note the distinction between "fan party" and "convention" and guidelines for interaction with VIPs.

It might make sense to arrange such an event near (in time) to a popular convention in the area, that would justify a trip for out-of-towners. Comic-Con is one of the biggest conferences that fans might like to attend, but it also will fill up hotel rooms in the area.

I wonder if you could rent a margarita machine and use it to make Orange Slurpees?

So there are some ideas for some eager organizer!
immortal1
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QtheC wrote:
I am not in the LA area, but this sounds like a fun opportunity for some fan interaction, and a generous offer by the Creators.

All that would be needed is a location (hotel ballroom or a something like a big bowling alley that serves food/drinks would work), and to do some research on hotels for out-of-town visitors.

No doubt, some attending would photograph and video events and share them online.

When LOST fans from a forum called 'The Fuselage' organized similar events the last three years, they arranged with the producers to provide a list of charity auction items (things like signed magazines, posters, scripts, etc.) that fans could bid upon, with the money going to charity. This was very popular with fans and many bid remotely by proxy if they could not attend in person.

If you want more ideas, see this excellent forum set up for discussion about the "Lost Weekend" http://www.thefuselage.com/Threaded/forumdisplay.php?f=367
and the dedicated website for the event:
http://www.lost-radio.com/lostweekend/index.html

This website with its organization, rules, etc. is a very good model for someone to follow to put on a similar event. Big hotels have employees whose job is to help organize events, but some money may be involved to reserve a space. Note the distinction between "fan party" and "convention" and guidelines for interaction with VIPs.

It might make sense to arrange such an event near (in time) to a popular convention in the area, that would justify a trip for out-of-towners. Comic-Con is one of the biggest conferences that fans might like to attend, but it also will fill up hotel rooms in the area.

I wonder if you could rent a margarita machine and use it to make Orange Slurpees?

So there are some ideas for some eager organizer!

Do I know you QtotheC? The people who put together the LOST party are the same people who put together the Bronze Posting Board Party for the Buffy fans. The same people also run both boards.

I've already put the Creators in touch with the organizers of these parties--not sure what if anything came out of it. I'll try and follow up.
QtheC
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

immortal1 wrote:
Do I know you QtotheC? The people who put together the LOST party are the same people who put together the Bronze Posting Board Party for the Buffy fans. The same people also run both boards.

I've already put the Creators in touch with the organizers of these parties--not sure what if anything came out of it. I'll try and follow up.
I doubt you know me, but I was a regular poster on The Fuselage last summer, especially in the section on 'The Experience' ARG, posting as QuinceTheCarpenter. I have not attended any LOST parties, just shared forums with those that have.

Further to my previous post, it does not have to be nearly that elaborate. I am sure you could call a bowling alley and simply ask them for some group discounts and pick a good night and time - they will love to get the business. Here is a thread that discusses the "Bowlapalooza" night held at a place called "Lucky Strike" - This was one poplular event from the "Lost Weekend" :

http://www.thefuselage.com/Threaded/showthread.php?t=61832

That may be a good and easy event to try to reproduce for LG15 fans. (Caution: I have done no checking myself, and have no idea about reservations or capacities, etc. ... don't just pick a place and time without calling the management and having an idea of attendance).
mincartaugh
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you started this thread quite some time ago and have probably gone a long way towards making it happen, but I have some questions and suggestions.

First, the location in LA was put in as an "Of course" suggestion. Wouldn't it be better to have the convention in the area where the most number of people can attend? If that's LA, so-be-it. But if the convention could draw 10,000 in New York and only 3,000 in LA it seems to me it would pay to do it there. A survey of fans intent would also avoid the problem that happened with the first Star Trek Convention. They expected about 1,000 fans at the New York City Con but they got more than 10 times that many. By the way, I don't live on the east coast. I just feel that knowledge is power. (ooh... does that make me part of the Order? LOL)

Second, there should be a sellers room. This is one of the places you can get financial benefit. Sellers would rent their space or agree to a cut of their profits. (personally I'd go for renting the space if I were you.)

Third, a fan art contest would be nice. It could culminate in an art auction or there could be silent bids on the art produced. Again, an entry fee into the contest or a rental of space or percentage cut could defray the cost of both the space it would take and the contest prize.

Fourth--and this is something I'd find most intriguing--you could have a "ceremony" (not the ceremony obviously) of the Hymn of the One. It could have a bibliomancy done as well as a couple prayers "spoken" in Enochian and a Zodiac of Denderah on the wall.

My personal favorite place to have it would be Monte Carlo, but I have to win the lottery first! LOL
Sami
P. Monkey's Agent

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope this can happen Very HappyVery Happy
chershaytoute

Location: Oregon with an ocean view...across the neighbors' cow pasture, wow!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think LA is probably so that the Creators and cast don't need to go out of area...and thus, perhaps, can continue bringing us videos while this is going on?

Miles, May/June may be short notice for some folks - especially people who would be coming from seriously out of area... This is something we might want to get a consensus on.

FOLKS? This summer - May? June?

Next...the LA area. We'll need an idea as to how many people - both to figure out the meeting facilities and for where we're staying (we'll want to get a rate at wherever that is...and we'll want to offer several places to stay). I think it might be cheaper to go with the outlying area rather than LA itself, not to mention less chaotic. Cheaper is good, less chaotic is good, at least, to my way of thinking. Laughing

But, as far as chaos goes, we also may want to be able to plan events, too. So, we're going to want to figure out how long we want this to last, what LG15 specific events, other events groups meals, other stuff, etc....

We need to figure out registration, pay-in, etc...

I've always seen ours as a helpful community. Someone said camping, do we need to plan an area/something so that we can accommodate people who want to hotel, and folks who'd rather be more rustic...?

Again, we help each other... I think we need to be able to either get shuttle service, have hotel shuttle service, or do shuttle service ourselves from the airport(s).

We'll need to make sure our mapping is beyond accurate (mapquest, google, etc. can be highly entertaining at times)

Okay, there's a start on some of the what's...

WWggD - let's make the Breeniverse a better place to live...

Thanks to giddeanx for the coolest personal glue stick ever!
mincartaugh
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

June time frame may be a little optimistic. Many venues require a much bigger lead time to reserve. Certainly any camping sites in the LA area will have been booked for at least 6 months. I know this because I organize a MinCartaugh camping reunion each year.

For a group larger than 100 people--and, come on, my family is larger than that--a June 2008 or later would be more realistic.

As for the Creators doing video. An away venue would give them a chance to have BD&J flee somewhere else! (Hopefully they won't be in the same situation a year from now. If they are, I suspect a venue for 10 would be appropriate.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Suggestions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 5 of 17

Jump to: