Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flame Wars
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Concerns and Complaints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Killthesmiley
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Flame Wars Reply with quote

its getting so bad, that I'm scared to post what i feel about this, and my advice for the moderators.

thats horrible guys. I have a nice little letter that I wrote out that I wnt EVERYONE to see...but I'm scared to post it because I'm apparently a drama starter....

YOU: Who does that KTS think she is? Total bitch!

ME: I think I'm you, only better.

~Kelly, KMurr, and Kellylen <3~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
iamcool
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think this forum is way to sensitive, anytime there is a difference in opinion the thread is locked Confused

My lawyers told me to edit the content of this signature so i didn't get sued

Me and Oobles are 'TWAT's - 'The Worldwide Association of Threadjacking' Smile
cup o' noodles
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, someone even locked my thread about how awesome Hooda is.

What's up with that?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
iamcool
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know i have no idea Confused

BK said it hurt someons feelings Confused

wtf??? Confused

cup o' noodles
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It hurt someone's feelings that Hooda's awesome? Psht.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Broken Kid
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iamcool wrote:
i think this forum is way to sensitive, anytime there is a difference in opinion the thread is locked Confused

Well, that's not true. But it is, apparently, what some people think, and I've read that elsewhere.

A thread is locked when someone requests it be locked or when the discussion is turning into attacks or flaming. Often in heated discussions, people keep replying and fanning the flames.

Difference in opinion is great, but when people get personal and are attacking each other, it's often better to lock a thread and let things die down.
bethy
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BK...it's more true than you want to admit. This is from a PM I received today from a forum user who shall remain nameless. (Admins who know how to check my inbox are welcome to peek at it if they want to verify it, I've left it there):

Quote:
Seems like the OpAphid crew can just go around kicking puppies anytime they want, but as soon as someone effectively calls them on it the thread gets locked.

Additionally, two other forum users have alerted me to two different off-board locations (whre I don't participate) where the flames are further fanned, brought back over here.

Clearly you guys can't do anything about the off-board stuff...but by locking things where stuff gets heated, you are effectively making it worse. There's a big difference between discussing something in a heated manner and hurting feelings/attacks. Some people really are too sensitive and will get their feelings hurt no matter what. By locking the threads at their request, in effect, valdiates their oversensitive feelings. I'm not saying there aren't times when things DO need to be locked...because there are, many of them.

I'm just saying that sometimes...cooler hads can prevail when they are left to talk it out and the discussion is contained in one location. Sometimes, when you swat a bug to get rid of it....the guts just make a bigger mess and you were better off opening the window a letting it find it's own way.

BK...the rest I'm sending via PM because it's too specific and I certainly don't need to be targeted anymore than I already am.
iamcool
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is my fave quote ever bethy!

bethy
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it, too Josh.

BTW, sometimes, flame wars are healthy. The forest is a happy place, but sometimes it needs a good scorching fire so it doesn't sufficate itself in it's goodness. Just keep it contained and let it do it's job.
gogo
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit that I'm forever asking for threads to be locked when I feel that the discussion has gone way off topic and has gotten to the point of personal attacks. However, I only do so when I am involved in a thread and feel that I, too, have contributed wrongly. I only participate in a few discussions here, and by no means, do I go searching through the forum trying to find fault. I just don't want to go overboard myself and start insulting people's mothers and the like. However, like most people, I would have a difficult time being a bigger person and ignoring a personal attack against myself without a comment. (Then someone will respond to me, and I to them and the next thing you know, I would be posting in super-sized fonts in all capital letters and being downright spiteful and mean. I know...I should exercise self-control...)

I admit that I am pretty sensitive, but I do believe in worthwhile discussions where differing views are shared reasonably. I would agree with Kelly's original post.. It is easy to attack people and jump on bandwagons and give in to mob mentality (I have been guilty of it). I guess it just comes down to the kind of discourse people want to have on this board. I didn't know that issues left here, went somewhere else and continued here. Yikes.

People should be nicer to each other since we are all here for the same reason (pretty much).

Now that I've said all I wanted to say, can someone please lock this.

(just kidding about locking this thread) Rolling Eyes (really, i'm just kidding)
I'm such a loser... Embarassed
I hope you realize that I suck.::The finest satire is that in which ridicule is combined with so little malice and so much conviction that it even rouses laughter in those who are hit.-Georg Christoph Lichtenberg
curiousGeorge
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the bigger issue is that there are some people who can not participate in a logical and productive debate without resorting to personal insults. This is the classic sign of of poorly-supported logic POV and is verboten in any formal debate setting.

Unfortunately, one only needs to pay attention to a lot of what is represented as political ideology to see numerous examples of this. I think it is entirely appropriate to lock threads where posters have resorted to this tactic when logic fails them.
gogo
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh shut up...you're such a banana-eating monkey!

See: excellent example of poorly designed argument.

I agree with curiousgeorge, so I guess I have no example about how to form a well-designed argument against his point.
I hope you realize that I suck.::The finest satire is that in which ridicule is combined with so little malice and so much conviction that it even rouses laughter in those who are hit.-Georg Christoph Lichtenberg
tigerlilylynn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bethy wrote:
Additionally, two other forum users have alerted me to two different off-board locations (whre I don't participate) where the flames are further fanned, brought back over here.

There are 3 of us??? I know about Anchor Cove. UnForums effectivly gave up on this game and I know there was a CIW board but that died out. 0_o

Also, I <3 Gogo ^_^
Broken Kid
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too agree with CG...

bethy wrote:
BTW, sometimes, flame wars are healthy. The forest is a happy place, but sometimes it needs a good scorching fire so it doesn't sufficate itself in it's goodness. Just keep it contained and let it do it's job.

I guess I have yet to see these healthy flame wars. So far, there's been nothing productive coming out of a flame war or antagonistic and aggressive debate. A clear and concise statement of one's opinion results in respect and acknowledgment. An angry/aggressive/antagonistic post results in more of the same. This doesn't do anyone good.

All that being said, there's nothing wrong with a discussion of this here, but please don't (anyone) use this as an opportunity to discuss other (already heated) issues.
curiousGeorge
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks BK for the most sage advice. As for you gogo, I won't dignify your attack with any kind of response. Hmmph.

I only have personal issues with a certain poster and his continued use of this phorum to push an extreme and very controversial agenda. Despite the fans he has garnered (I'm looking at you and your Key, girlfriend), his agenda is clearly meant to garner attention to certain radical views. Be warned, he is dangerous even while he sleeps...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Concerns and Complaints All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 1 of 21

Jump to: