Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[PUZZLE][SOLVED] Semiotics 2/22/07
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 36, 37, 38  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ruberic
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semiotics...interesting. Finally something I know about.

In communication philosophy, there is a theory of semiotics...that is, semiotics is a method of communicaiton that stands on its own merrit...appart from the one who set the communication and the one who recieves it. That is, despite differences in understanding and logic, the communication can be understood by either party.

That being said...it is my belief that Tachyon has sent Daniel the password to the file, and it exists in what he recieved. In that way, Daniel needs to know nothing about Tachyon...Tachyon needs to know nothing of Daniel's understanding about her puzzles...and both can "communicate" about the password by the merrit of the password itself.

WHEW...long explanation...but here is the tie-in.

As a philosophy...it seems to me that the password is in the text provided some how. Either in the note, the book...or a combination of both that is possible to communicate without needing any more information than that.

Also...its in the beginning. I believe Tachyon gave us that hint for finding the clue.

Just my thoughts.

-Ruberic
Ziola
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ilan Mitchell-Smith

That's the actors name...

Ilan Mitchell-Smith was born in New York City and began studying ballet at an early age. After his family relocated to Amherst, Massachusetts, he was enrolled in dance classes four days a week and eventually got a scholarship with the School of American Ballet. While at the ballet, he was discovered by a casting agent for director Sidney Lumet and was signed to play Timothy Hutton's character as a young boy in the film, Daniel (1983). That led to a major role in The Wild Life (1984) in which he played a young man who had a romanticized notion of the '60s, a part that required a lot of research into the milieu of the times.

Edit: to add the bio...sorry for the extra info, but he did play in a film called Daniel.

Last edited by Ziola on Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Skunkwaffle
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I slowed down the audio of DB unwrapping the package Tachyon gave him, and there's someone talking in there. Can't quite make out what's they're saying. Maybe someone with better audio editing software than Acid Pro can clean it up some. Here's a link

http://www.4shared.com/file/11113447/22af24df/DB1.html
EdWont
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Wyatt Reply with quote

Wyatt from the ID. Cowboy from the videos. Wyatt Earp? Played by Kevin Costner in the film Wyatt Earp? Dear Lord, tell me this doesn't have to do with Costner. Shatner I could handle (and I'd even be excited about), but not Costner. Kurt Russel also played Wyatt Earp in the movie Tombstone. Is this what we're talking about? I'm new to this all, and it's overwhelming like whoa. Anyhow. At the best, I hope this helped, and at the worst I hope it at least didn't waste anyone's time.
tiltingwindward
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruberic, thank you for that thoughtful and coherent post on semiotics. It's definitely helped me think about the puzzle (not that I've had any brainstorms yet). According to your theory, we're looking for something that would have meaning for both Tachyon and Daniel independently, correct?
longlostposter
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tiltingwindward wrote:
Let's try to think this one through in a logical way:

We have a note. We have some books. We have a file whose name decodes to SEMIOTICS. Semiotics tells us that we need to look at symbols. The note has symbols (X's and Y's), which remind us of the XX/Xy puzzle referenced earlier in this thread by several people--but this might not be the only application for the word SEMIOTICS. The note tells us that somewhere, there is a "subtle clue," and lo and behold, we discover that the first letters of each line spell out Wyatt (anagrammed?), which happens to be the name on Daniel's fake ID.

Before we get too excited about the Wyatt thing (and believe me, I'm excited about it), we have to remember that Nancy Drew is somehow involved, because otherwise Tachyon wouldn't have passed on her books to Daniel. So, off we go to the list of quotes we have from the Nancy Drew drop.

If you think I'm coming to a grand conclusion with all of this, you'll be disappointed. But I'm suggesting a way to think about the problem that does not involve brute forcing or randomly plugging in passwords. Let's think about possible solutions that involve the note, the books, the Wyatt clue, and the word SEMIOTICS...and come up with passwords from there.

And now for some notes of my own:
I've just read through 6 pages of people trying passwords, and I have to say, I have no idea where most of them came from. So please, if you're going to post passwords you tried or think other people should try, please explain why you thought they might work (i.e., "I tried cucumber45 and foosball188 because Bree once hit Daniel with a cucumber 45 times, and Jonas moved his levers 188 times in the foosball game"--obviously, this is just an example). It will make it a lot easier for everyone else to follow along.

Tommy, Semiotics comes from the name of the .rar file. It is encoded in hex, but it decodes to "Semiotics."
Well, I think it involves Crowley, because the character in the first book is Josiah Crowley. I thought of Goldendawn because of the Yellowsnow vid, and the Golden shoulders, golden (group name, don't know what second word is). Also the books are yellow. Also, I thought of yellow snow, but didn't try it yet.

Tachyon also drew a heart with the words.

I tried brownpaper because it said right in front of you. Also, the string on the package is weird. The package is what is right in front of Daniel. Who was it that said to zoom in on the paper on the package? I think it's a good idea.

I don't know a thing about hex, but the star symbol Crowley used was six-sided and called a hexagram.

What is right in front of Daniel? The books, the package, the string, the camera, the note....

Go back to the beginning? Bree's childhood? From looking at today's vid, Bree had read the book that Daniel was reading. There is a clue. I think if Daniel had told Bree what he was doing, it would have been a big help.

Bree has read the book...is it the Diary book, someone said? What is the name of that book?

OK, enough for now. Bree has read the book, it's right in front of Daniel...
Shout outs to my beautiful daughter badkittyx1505, Aithne, and Lurker.
Antissa Pompeii
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so I was trying to choose passwords like normal, and I typed in 'CHOSEN' just like that. For some reason it didn't just tell me I got the password wrong, but it showed me the file name I think is inside the .rar file. I dunno...try it. I know that Semiotics is the study of signs and symbols, and the file name was full of those. Mabye it helped.
FallingIntoSin
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruberic wrote:

In communication philosophy, there is a theory of semiotics...that is, semiotics is a method of communicaiton that stands on its own merrit...appart from the one who set the communication and the one who recieves it. That is, despite differences in understanding and logic, the communication can be understood by either party.

That being said...it is my belief that Tachyon has sent Daniel the password to the file, and it exists in what he recieved. In that way, Daniel needs to know nothing about Tachyon...Tachyon needs to know nothing of Daniel's understanding about her puzzles...and both can "communicate" about the password by the merrit of the password itself.

As a philosophy...it seems to me that the password is in the text provided some how. Either in the note, the book...or a combination of both that is possible to communicate without needing any more information than that.

Also...its in the beginning. I believe Tachyon gave us that hint for finding the clue.

Just my thoughts.

-Ruberic

And some great thoughts they are, thanks for sharing Ruberic, I might copy some of this to put on the main post Smile
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
"Men think if women are grabbing and clawing at each other there's a chance they might somehow you know... kiss." --Jerry Seinfeld, on the appeal of Catfights
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ruberic
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tiltingwindward wrote:
Ruberic, thank you for that thoughtful and coherent post on semiotics. It's definitely helped me think about the puzzle (not that I've had any brainstorms yet). According to your theory, we're looking for something that would have meaning for both Tachyon and Daniel independently, correct?

Correct.

And it is not the word itself...but the meaning that both could put behind the word / password. Semiotics states that it is not words that give meaning...it is the mind's connection to the word that gives it meaning.

Somehow, Tachyon has given us the clues we need to find this, and it is accessible to Daniel right now. The only things that would match this requirement (as I see it...but I am often wrong) is the paper, the books, the string, and the note.
longlostposter
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruberic wrote:

Just my thoughts.

-Ruberic
Ok, so what about the perimeters of the heart shape?

Or diagonals? A smaller heart shape within?
longlostposter
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruberic wrote:
tiltingwindward wrote:

Correct.

And it is not the word itself...but the meaning that both could put behind the word / password. Semiotics states that it is not words that give meaning...it is the mind's connection to the word that gives it meaning.

Somehow, Tachyon has given us the clues we need to find this, and it is accessible to Daniel right now. The only things that would match this requirement (as I see it...but I am often wrong) is the paper, the books, the string, and the note.
Or the camera. Thanks for stealing my idea. Laughing Laughing
tiltingwindward
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. So the password, whatever it is, is a word/phrase combination that has meaning for both Tachyon and Daniel, but does not necessarily have the same meaning, nor the same inspiration. Nevertheless, both will recognize it as a familiar symbol.

Ruberic wrote:

Does this mean you think the Nancy Drew quotes from the first drop are not relevant here?
ladron121
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is everyone getting this "heart shape" thing from? The text on the note? I just watched the vid again to look, and I think that is a really big stretch Smile
theresascraps
Lonely Fan

chosen did do something different for me too

theresa
longlostposter
The Order of Denderah

It must be the note. When Daniel is reading the note, that is what is in front of him; even on the video. Plus the note has Drew in it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> OpAphid: Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Page 9 of 38

Jump to: