Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[PUZZLE][SOLVED] Semiotics 2/22/07
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 36, 37, 38  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PinkoLady
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

islandlove wrote:

I must say that math is a big snooze fest for me

Me too, my friend, me too. Actually anything with lots of numbers does that me, so trying to figure out hex puzzles or xx/xy codes or whatever make me want to go take a nap.
islandlove
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PinkoLady wrote:
islandlove wrote:

Me too, my friend, me too. Actually anything with lots of numbers does that me, so trying to figure out hex puzzles or xx/xy codes or whatever make me want to go take a nap.

I'm good with most math

Just not Algebra **shudders**
Balmung
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, i just messaged daniel on youtube asking what the last book was.

no clue if he'll answer.
Luminous
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

islandlove
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luminous wrote:

okay theres one problem with this

there were only 56 original books

other books were added years later, and there are several other series

Last edited by islandlove on Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:46 am; edited 1 time in total
windsong
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems too bright... i dont know, this is driving me nuts
PinkoLady
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

islandlove wrote:

I'm good with most math

Yeah, I actually find it easy when I do it but I can never find myself interested in it. Geometry and Calculus weren't too bad, since they're applicable to so many practical things, but Algebra is the most tedious, dull crap ever.

Either way, if I can avoid doing math... I will.

Last edited by PinkoLady on Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:48 am; edited 1 time in total
islandlove
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PinkoLady wrote:
islandlove wrote:
PinkoLady wrote:
islandlove wrote:

I'm good with most math

Yeah, I actually find it easy when I do it but I can never find myself interested in it. Geometry and Calculus weren't too bad, since they're applicable to so many practical things, bad Algebra is the most tedious, dull crap ever.

I can do it, it takes forever because I can never concentrate on it
Balmung
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PinkoLady wrote:
islandlove wrote:

I'm good with most math

Yeah, I actually find it easy when I do it but I can never find myself interested in it. Geometry and Calculus weren't too bad, since they're applicable to so many practical things, but Algebra is the most tedious, dull crap ever.

Either way, if I can avoid doing math... I will.

haha i always loved algebra because it's like a puzzle you have to figure out

plus i was good at it

that always helps haha
PinkoLady
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Twin Dilemma does seem too bright, though it's definitely the closest I've seen to the title.

Others added to the original series might count...

Last edited by PinkoLady on Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Balmung
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, i gotta go to school tomorrow morning so i'm gonna hit the sack [thank goodness for an open period first thing though Very Happy]
imagin
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here's everything slightly a clue that I have found in The Clue in the Diary.

pg. 6 - The wind shifts and smoke from the fire blows in Nancy's face, making her cough and choke, and making her eyes burn. When she is able to see again, she sees a man about to crawl through the back hedge, running away from the fire. She yells stop, but he does not return. This is later determined to be the guilty party.

pg. 9 - Once again Nancy is caught in smoke, and rounds the house trying to escape it. Thanks to the smoke, she happens upon a small book (the diary) that was laying on the ground, and determines it was likely dropped by the man who ran from the house.

pg. 11-12 - Another shift of wind throws the sparks to grass near her car, and Ned moves the car for her... this is how they first meet.

pg. 16 - Nancy's car is rear-ended by a Mr. Weston.

pg. 17-18 - The friends overhear conversation about the fire and the Raybolts... locals wonder what might have caused the fire, since the house had been empty all summer... they speculate that Mr. Raybolt himself might have started it to collect on insurance. They also realize that "Foxy Felix" Raybolt is not well-liked by his neighbors.

pg. 21 - Discussion of how the fire seemed to start suddenly, with an explosion, rather then slowly, like a cigarette.

pg. 22-23 - Nancy learns that her father knows Foxy Felix by reputation... and it's not a positive one.

pg. 24 - Nancy examines the diary, determines that most of it is written in Swedish, and that she is unable to decipher so much as an entire sentence of even the English portion, and resolves to find someone to translate.

pg. 26 - Ned calls Nancy to see if a ring he had found at the Raybolts', near the hedge, might be hers. It's a signet ring with the initial D and an inscription in a language that Ned cannot read.

pg. 32 - Nancy pores over the dictionary, and finds a small diagram drawn on the bottom of a page.

pg. 33-34 - Nancy examines the ring, deciding it is probably a man's ring, meant to be worn on the little finger, and has an inscription in Swedish that she recognizes - translated, it means "Wear this in luck".

pg. 34-35 - Nancy learns from Ned that local police believe explosives, stored in the basement, may have been set off by remote... perhaps even accidentally by a passing car. She theorizes that the man may have done so intentionally from outside the house.

pg. 35 - The Raybolts are away and no one has been able to get in contact with them yet. It's also apparently common knowledge that the locals feel that the Raybolts "deserved" it.

pg. 39 - Nancy finds part of an address in the Diary. It's Riverwood Cottage, Sandy Creek, which happens to be the home of the Swensons. Mr. Swenson is someone who has reason to be unhappy with Mr. Raybolt. Nancy is dismayed, because she likes the Swenson woman and child, and it is pointed out that the ring does not match Mr. Swenson's initials. (J.S.)

pg. 42 - The Raybolts' whereabouts is still unknown.

pgs. 45-50 - Nancy, Bess and George are driving to visit the Swensons and are nearly run off the road by a big truck.

pg. 52 - Nancy sees a photograph of Mr. Swenson in the Swenson house, and realizes that it is the man she saw running away from the fire. She is also shown mechanical toys that Mr. Swenson made for his daughter, Honey, and realizes that he is an inventor... the type of person most likely to have been scammed by Mr. Raybolt and thus have reason to strike back at him.

pg. 56 - Mrs. Swenson reveals that her husband is away looking for work, and that she expects him back soon. She also declares that he was "cheated out of his rights".

pg. 61-63 - Nancy learns from Mrs. Swenson that the Swensons are Swedish, that Mr. Swenson's mother's maiden name is Dahl, and so assumes he might have inherited the ring, and that he does keep a diary and carry it with him at all times. She also lets it slip that she believes him to be fine.

pg. 65 - Nancy learns that Mr. Raybolt is the man who stole the patents from Mr. Swenson. She also learns that Mrs. Swenson is unaware that the Raybolts' house burnt.

pg. 68 - Nancy is able to determine lists of supplies purchased and suppliers from the English portion of the diary, and resolves to visit them to see if Mr. Swenson might have taken job there. She also realizes that one of the companies is also the same town as where Mr. Weston lives.

pg. 69 - Nancy receives a sealed envelope at breakfast that Hannah says was left that morning.

pg. 70-71 - The envelope was the second mechanic's bill. Nancy learns during breakfast that Mr. Weston is the owner of an electronics company in Stanford... and she just happens to be planning to visit a company called Stanford Electronics Company.

pg. 71 - Nancy learns from her father that he managed to reach Mrs. Raybolt, and she is returning to the area. When questioned about Mr. Raybolt's location, she was unreponsive and elusive.

pg. 72 = "By eleven o'clock the three girls were en route." (Since we're all hung up on elevens and threes...Smile

pg. 73-74 - Nancy learns that Mrs. Raybolt believes her husband perished in the fire.

pg. 76 - The girls learn from Mrs. Raybolt that Mr. Raybolt had gone to the house that evening to meet a man there on business. She did not know the name of the man or what the meeting was about, but did state that Felix was uneasy about the meeting, and that he supposedly anticipated physical violence.

pg. 77 - the girls are advised by a state trooper that a dangerous criminal, identity unknown, is believed to be hiding in the area.

pg. 77-78 - the girls are nervous about the possibility of seeing someone in the woods, and when they do notice a man near the road, Nancy hits the gas and flies on by, to his astonishment.

pg. 83-87 - The girls visit with Mr. Weston, retrieve the money for the damage to Nancy's car, and learn that Mr. Weston does not believe that Mr. Raybolt was harmed in the fire. They also learn that Mr. Weston does not have a very good opinion of Mr. Raybolt. They ask Mr. Raybolt if Mr. Swenson is working there, and he checks and does not find his name listed as an employee. When they leave the premises, though, and the men are getting off work, they are surprised to see Mr. Swenson leaving.

pg. 92 - Nancy is told by Ned that the police have said that they have a new angle that they are working on, that they expect to result in an arrest shortly, and that they refuse to release any other information about it.

pg. 93-95 - Nancy speculates that mail is being stolen, and learns from the postmaster's son that it actually is.

pg. 96-101 - The girls visit the factory again and this time, speak with Mr. Swenson. Nancy informs him that his family has not received the money orders that he sent, and agrees to hand-deliver the next letter to his wife for him. They also learn that he admits to being at the house when the fire started--- that he had just rung the bell when the explosion occured. he first tried to help, and then when he realized he couldn't, and a car was coming and he might be blamed, he ran away.

pg. 102 - Nancy learns for certain that both the diary and the ring are Mr. Swenson's, and that it contains proof that would incriminate Raybolt.

(It just now occurs to me that, hey, the story has an explosion, and the owner of the property that exploded it does it on purpose to blame someone else... might we have the same scenario?)

pg. 104 - The girls are bothered by a crude man who doesn't want them talking to the workman, claims he is a factory guard, and then strides off down the street. They leave, even more concerned that Mr. Swenson is in a jam, and that he might be ready to run again.

pg. 107 - Nancy experiments by contacting the Postmaster, and setting up a sort of "sting" to make sure that the letter and money order do go out like they should.

pg. 108 - they return to the post office, and learn that the money order clerk had been stealing ALL the money orders sent. The clerk had two accomplices, one of whom was the rough-looking man who had bothered them. Other post offices nearby were also notified so they could run the same "sting". The clerk and both his accomplices were arrested.

pg. 110-111 - The girls overhear two men discussing a tip Mrs. Raybolt had given them about someone, the girls assume Joe Swenson, that he had an appointment scheduled with Mr. Raybolt, that he was working in town with an assumed name, and that they expected to have him in jail by that night.

pg. 113-116 - The girls meet with Mr. Swenson again, inform him of the money order and mail situation, and remove him from work before the two men get there.

pg. 117-127 - Mr. Swenson is arrested, and the highlight here is that though Mrs. Raybolt does not appear to have seen Mr. Swenson before, she claims she has, and that Mr. Raybolt was afraid of him.

pg. 131 - In the midst of an argument in the police station, Nancy accuses Mrs. Raybolt of knowing where her husband is. Mrs. Raybolt is startled, then unconvincingly declares again that Raybolt is dead.

pg. 134 - It is revealed that Mr. Weston has a high opinion of Mr. Swenson (whom he knows as Mr. Dahl) and is willing to stand by him as a man of integrity.

pg. 138-139 - Nancy learns that one of her father's client's wives may have seen Mr. Raybolt driving a bang-up car near a gas station a few days prior. The man had also purchased a large amount of canned food, including bread in tins (??) and that this suggests that he was going camping.

pg. 141-143 - The girls learn that a man had been camping in an old shack not too far from the Raybolt's place, and that he had threatened lumber workers with a shotgun, but has since moved on.

pg. 144 - Nancy believes that Mr. Raybolt is waiting on life insurance and house insurance payments, and intends to leave the country, and that his wife is well aware of his intentions.

pg. 151 - Nancy is finally able to have the diary translated, and learns of the existance of a secret hiding place in the Raybolt house, of which no one but Mr. Raybolt is aware of the location.

pg. 151-152 - The translater confirms that the diary makes it fairly clear that Mr. Swenson is the inventor of the items.

pg. 155 - Nancy declares that she has figured out how to trap Felix Raybolt.

pg. 156-159 - The girls return to the Raybolt estate to watch and see when he tries to sneak to the safe.

pg. 164-168 - Nancy watches as Mr. Raybolt accesses the safe, and then begins to burn evidence against him. Nancy tries to stop him, her father and Ned arrive, and Mr. Raybolt is placed in the car and they transport him to the jail.

pg. 168-169 - Mr. Raybolt is not flustered about the situation, though he does admit to having illegal explosives stored in the basement, and claimed that the fire was accidental. Mr. Swenson is cleared, and Nancy remembers the papers, enabling them to charge and hold Mr. Raybolt.

pg. 170-171 - Mrs. Raybolt takes them from bad to worse, by trying to convince her husband to admit nothing, and in the process, incriminating them both even more.

pg. 173-174 - Loose ends are tied up, the girls receive gifts from the Swensons, Mr. Swenson is promoted at the electronics factory, and Mr. Swenson gifts the ring to Nancy.
PinkoLady
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balmung wrote:

haha i always loved algebra because it's like a puzzle you have to figure out

plus i was good at it

that always helps haha

Solving linear systems with three variables was the most boring process ever, I barely freaking made it to the third variable half the time. It wasn't hard, but a piece of dust, or something equally mundane, would distract and excite me. =P

Last edited by PinkoLady on Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:54 am; edited 1 time in total
NillaWafers
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm so I read "The Secret of the Old Clock". It's pretty straightforward. A bunch of relatives (one who's parents died in a boat explosion, Jonas anyone?), want Nancy to find Josiah Crowley's latest will. She talks to all of the relatives until a old lady (very forgetful), mentions something of an old clock and a "notebook". Nancy goes to the Topham's estate pretending to sale charity ball tickets, in order to see if the clock is there (the Topham's took care of Josiah, and were the current, snobby, recipients of the last known will). She finds out that the clock the old lady was talking about is at their lake house.

So she goes and visits a friend's camp, and manages to go check out the house. She notices a moving van parked some distance away, and goes to inspect. Well it turns out the movers were thieves, and Nancy hid in a closet to avoid detection. Of course just as they were about to leave she sneezes. So they lock her in the closet. During the period in the closet, Nancy tries to get out by using the rod that normally holds hangers, to pry the door open. This is where I saw the only thing that might ring true, here's the quote: "That old Greek scientist, Archimedes, didn't know was he was talking about when he said the world could be moved with a lever," Nancy murmured. "I'd like to see him move this door!"

Kinda reminds me of proving science wrong. But back to the story.

The caretaker comes and lets her out, she chases the thieves, and sees that they stopped to eat at an inn (geeze who eats at inns nowadays?), so she goes and checks their truck for the clock. Of course she narrowly escapes detection. So she gets the clock and inside is a notebook detailing a safety deposit box and the name it is under, saying the most recent will is there. Yay Nancy! So the rightful heirs get the money, and the snobby relatives are left in the dust.

That's about it.
Luminous
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PinkoLady wrote:
Yeah, Twin Dilemna does seem too bright, though it's definitely the closest I've seen to the title.

Others added to the original series might count...

It's number 63

Here it is juxtaposed with the one in the video:

I agree the color is off, but the composition works.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> OpAphid: Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Page 18 of 38

Jump to: