Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[THEORIES] Why is this arc called Parallax?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mellie3204
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:04 am    Post subject: [THEORIES] Why is this arc called Parallax? Reply with quote

I had a wierd, wacky, long and convoluted connection I found to Parallax, and I can't get it out of my head. So at the risk of making a fool of myself, here it is (originally posted in the Religion section of the forum):

mellie3204 wrote:
...I was basically taking a link-trip through Wikipedia and historical people, and came up with some weird connections I want to post here (well, weird to me anyways, though it could just be sleep deprivation! Anxious )

Firstly, from the Enochian Wiki:

Quote:
"Enochian is a name often applied to an occult or angelic language recorded in the private journals of Dr. John Dee and his seer Edward Kelley in the late 16th century."

From John Dee's Wiki I get 3 different links of interest:

Quote:
...He studied with Gemma Frisius...

Gemma? That's a coincidink. A popular name... I guess.

Quote:
Dee was a friend of Tycho Brahe and was familiar with the work of Copernicus.

...Hmm. Doesn't this Tycho character's name sound a little Tachyon-esque?

Quote:
Dee's Speculum or Mirror (an obsidian Aztec cult object in the shape of a hand-mirror, brought to Europe in the late 1520s), which was once owned by Horace Walpole.

Walpole? Is someone messing with names here? That kinda sounds like Warpylol.

So who were these three people mentioned? I went to their Wikis:

From the Wiki of Gemma Frisius:
Quote:
While still a student, Frisius set up a workshop to produce globes and mathematical instruments. He became noted for the quality and accuracy of his instruments, which were praised by Tycho Brahe, among others. In 1533, he described for the first time the method of triangulation still used today in surveying.

Triangulation??! And here's Tycho menetioned yet again. So these people all knew each other...

Not much info on the Walpole Wiki: but more general web searching reveals he was an occultist and led a rather interesting life.

MUCH more interesting though, is the Wiki of Tycho Brahe:
Quote:
...Tycho Brahe... best known today as an early astronomer, though in his lifetime he was also well known as an astrologer and alchemist.

Quote:
He is universally referred to as "Tycho" rather than by his surname "Brahe", as was common in Scandinavia.

Quote:
On November 11, 1572, Tycho observed ... a very bright star which unexpectedly appeared in the constellation Cassiopeia...Since it had been maintained since antiquity that the world beyond the orbit of the moon, i.e. that of the fixed stars, was eternal and unchangeable... other observers held that the phenomenon was something in the Earth's atmosphere. Tycho, however, observed that the parallax of the object did not change from night to night, suggesting that the object was far away.

Ok....am I just going nuts, or is this just a tiny bit spooky??

Can anyone else find more connections? I would keep looking but I need to sleep!

I know, paranoia and the harder you look the more connections you see and all that.... but still... please help me put my mind at ease and tell me I'm nuts?

Laughing
iamcool
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

who's decision was it to change it to parallax?

My lawyers told me to edit the content of this signature so i didn't get sued

Me and Oobles are 'TWAT's - 'The Worldwide Association of Threadjacking' Smile
tigerlilylynn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iamcool wrote:
who's decision was it to change it to parallax?

The PM picks the names, tells the admin and the admin makes the sections. ^_^
mellie3204
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... then I probably am seeing cosmic connections where someone just thought it sounded cool! Laughing

I will try to get more sleep before my next bour of 'research'

(Luv your current Avatar BTW tigerlilylynn!)
deagol
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: [THEORIES] Why is this arc called Parallax? Reply with quote

mellie3204 wrote:

While still a student, Frisius set up a workshop to produce globes and mathematical instruments. He became noted for the quality and accuracy of his instruments, which were praised by Tycho Brahe, among others. In 1533, he described for the first time the method of triangulation still used today in surveying.

That quote goes on to say:

Quote:
Twenty years later, he was the first to describe how an accurate clock could be used to determine longitude. Jean-Baptiste Morin (1583-1656) did not believe that Frisius' method for calculating out longitude would work, remarking, "I do not know if the Devil will succeed in making a longitude timekeeper but it is folly for man to try."

The history of determining longitude through an accurate clock (it was finally achieved some 200 years later) was told in the book "Longitude" by Dava Sobel, featured in LG15's "Proving Longitude Wrong."
sparrow
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it might even be a sly jab at us, and our view of this versus OpAphid's and even Tachyon.

We're viewing the same thing, but from different angles.
Loki
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tycho Brahe (pronounced: Teeco Bray) was a very famous astronomer in his day. He was also famous for his secretivity and his quick temper. He got into many duels because he would never let a point go. Ever. In one such duel he lost the bridge of his nose. It was replaced with a silver prosthetic.

Brahe was believed to have been killed by his young protogee, a man by the name of Johannes Keppler, by mercury poisoning. Keppler stole Brahe's notes and fled, using the notes to create his three Laws regarding planets' orbits. The notebook was eventually recovered (Keppler gave it back).

I swear every fact in here is true... I'm taking astronomy this semester, and my professor had an entire section of a lecture which he spent on Tycho Brahe and Johannes Keppler.

Neither of them really had much to do with parallax, per se, however the observations and astronomical laws which came from their research DID play a role in the large scale observation thereof.

Oh, and if anyone was interested, the formula for (stellar) parallax is: distance (in parsecs) = 1/parallax (in arcseconds)

Everything is not as it first appears.

Knowledge is power. Knowledge shared is power lost. -- Aleister Crowley
mellie3204
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: [THEORIES] Why is this arc called Parallax? Reply with quote

deagol wrote:
mellie3204 wrote:

That quote goes on to say:

Quote:
Twenty years later, he was the first to describe how an accurate clock could be used to determine longitude. Jean-Baptiste Morin (1583-1656) did not believe that Frisius' method for calculating out longitude would work, remarking, "I do not know if the Devil will succeed in making a longitude timekeeper but it is folly for man to try."

The history of determining longitude through an accurate clock (it was finally achieved some 200 years later) was told in the book "Longitude" by Dava Sobel, featured in LG15's "Proving Longitude Wrong."

Heh, looks like in my excited paranoid state I missed another obvious connection Smile

I'm kinda relived to know you guys read up on this kind of stuff too...
sparrow
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loki wrote:

Brahe was believed to have been killed by his young protogee, a man by the name of Johannes Keppler, by mercury poisoning. Keppler stole Brahe's notes and fled, using the notes to create his three Laws regarding planets' orbits. The notebook was eventually recovered (Keppler gave it back).

So the thing about him dying by his bladder bursting was a myth? Aw man, there goes that excuse to get out of class ("No, seriously, prof, if I don't get to a bathroom soon I'm gonna go all Brahe!")
sarahbear
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loki wrote:
Tycho Brahe (pronounced: Teeco Bray) was a very famous astronomer in his day. He was also famous for his secretivity and his quick temper. He got into many duels because he would never let a point go. Ever. In one such duel he lost the bridge of his nose. It was replaced with a silver prosthetic.

I swear every fact in here is true... I'm taking astronomy this semester, and my professor had an entire section of a lecture which he spent on Tycho Brahe and Johannes Keppler.

Neither of them really had much to do with parallax, per se, however the observations and astronomical laws which came from their research DID play a role in the large scale observation thereof.

Oh, and if anyone was interested, the formula for (stellar) parallax is: distance (in parsecs) = 1/parallax (in arcseconds)

amyone else see the similarity of tycho and his assistant, johanness, to jonastko? Shocked
Pi
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loki wrote:

Seriously? (laughs) I wish I had your instructor. I love the stories behind the research. My first 4 syllable word was Astronomer. Charlie Brown Encyclopedia #8 baby! Still remember it...all about the stars. When I finally got around to taking the class my instructor was so crazy hard that in the end all I could babble was...reeed shift...blue shift... liiiight (eyes crossing). I think that's all we studied the whole time. How to measure light.

Sorry for going off topic Mods. Just liked the extra info.
janesalteredstates
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loki wrote:

If they were not before, I hope the creators find a way to use aspects of this now Smile
tiltingwindward
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, just have to jump in here to correct some historical inaccuracies regarding the great Tycho Brahe (sorry Loki). Tycho actually had a brass nose, not a silver one. And the story of how he died is nowhere near as mundane as a simple poisoning over scientific legacies. Tycho was actually quite the womanizer, and would do almost anything in order to get a woman to go to bed with him. One evening, he was at a party, chatting up a lovely young woman. He had to go to the bathroom desperately, but he wanted the young woman more, so he kept chatting, and kept chatting...until his bladder burst, poisoning him and killing him within hours.

This is what I learned in my astronomy class about Tycho, who was my professor's favorite astronomer for exactly this reason. I swear to all the gods you can name, I am not making this up. However, it provides us with an important lesson: no matter much fun it is to chat, always obey the impules of Nature. I don't want anybody dying of a burst bladder.
imagin
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

janesalteredstates wrote:
If they were not before, I hope the creators find a way to use aspects of this now Smile

tiltingwindward wrote:
I don't want anybody dying of a burst bladder.

Forgive me, but I'm dying laughing over here at the possibilities this combo brings to mind... especially since the angst gang keeps running off into the woods without being prepared. Do you think they rememeber the toilet paper?

Maybe they should have kept the Boy Scout Handbook?
impulse
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tiltingwindward wrote:
However, it provides us with an important lesson: no matter much fun it is to chat, always obey the impulses

I had to quote that. Listen to tilting, she speaks the truth!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> OpAphid: Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: