Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[VIDEO] 0151 - Aunt Alex
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
janesalteredstates
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited out all the stuff I totally agree with...
sphinx wrote:

And finally, after watching this video I yawned, and then wished I could send the actress playing Aunt Alex some of these:

Except the thing I wish I had said. Aunt Alex is Aunt Scary.

Also, yay for Team Walter! Off to the facility...
ShardinsKitten
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ladron121 wrote:
I've already stated my feelings on this at length, so I'll just sum up.

Good for the PM for selling out, at least for his sake. He will get paid to do what he wasn't before, and it seems he loves what he is doing now. But I want to make this clear: he is not doing what got him the job in the first place.

He has neglected the narrative, neglected his characters, and now has neglected those of us that brought him the attention of the Creators in the first place. I'd go so far as to say there is no OpAphid ARG anymore, only the ARG aspect of LG15. I know I'm channeling some very old spirits here, but this stopped being a true ARG when he revealed himself in the LGpedia, among other things...

So are new players going to agree with those of us that have played since October? No, of course not, and they shouldn't have to. Are players like myself going to be horribly pissed off about what has happened since Canon Day? (and lets all be honest with ourselves, the start of the decline is that day) Of course we are. No specifics needed anymore, I'm sure you've heard it all before.

We started out with total interaction, intriguing plot, challenging puzzles with immediate confirmation of clues and movement to the next plot point or character. We are now dealing with convoluted plot, 10 or more filler videos in between anything that deals with the "ARG", 1 dimensional characters, NO INTERACTION, and a total sense that we put in the attention, the hours, the work for nothing.

So the PM sold out. Good for him! He has to deal with the complaints, the anger, the total apathy to his creation now. We have every right to complain, but only so long as we realize that there is nothing we can say to change anything. I used to play because it entertained the hell out of me. I now play because of the people I made friends with, and the need to keep this "ARG" going in hope of better days ahead. I'm an optimist like that, but one with a firm sense of realism.

I have to say I agree with you, and the first drop I was around for was the ukiah (sp?) drop. it feels like there isn't even an ARG here anymore. Like OpAphid and Tachyon don't even exist anymore besides the mention of them in the LG15 videos. I came here originally for the LG15 and stumbled on OpAphid and Tachyon and the ARGs here, that's what kept me coming back. Lets face it the LG vids are good, but they aren't that good. I could walk away now, and not think twice. But I'm hoping for the ARG to come back to the fun and excitement it looks and sounds like it once was. But considering I don't know most of you being new and all... I don't know how much longer I'll wait for it.
Loki
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOSG wrote:
ladron121 wrote:
TOSG is right, I've been looking at the FacilityJ ARG. Not my cup o' tea, since they mail out all the drops Wink but still worth a look everyone. Lots of DNA!!!

Speaking of which, we're looking for someone near Princeton, NJ to look into a possible drop. I know that most of the OpAphid drop retrievers are based on the West Coast, but if you guys know of anyone...

I'm in Massachusetts, but that's not really close enough... especially since I don't have a means of transportation or for that matter, the time to myself, to assist with anything like that right now...

Everything is not as it first appears.

Knowledge is power. Knowledge shared is power lost. -- Aleister Crowley
FallingIntoSin
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I totally agree with Sphinx and Lad but I'm going to add my own two cents in (beware it may be jumbled because I SO should be sleeping).

This is my first ARG and since I had no clue what the letters ARG even meant when I first started playing, I spent a bit of time researching past ARG's online and tried to get a feel for exactly what this type of game entails. The one thing I noticed WITHOUT FAIL, is that every one of the Puppet Master’s stayed behind their curtain until the game was complete, then they got their fame. These PM's knew, going into the ARG, that not getting the fame/recognition until the end was part of the deal and even though I'm sure they wanted to come out, they didn't. Staying "hidden" is just one of the unfortunate aspects of the job, it sucks, but you deal and hopefully you deal because you care more about the game them the fame...and well, even if that's not true, you stay hidden because that's how the game is run.

Our PM didn't stay hidden. Perhaps he had his reasons, perhaps he needed the money, perhaps he saw the great opportunity to join the LG creators, perhaps he wanted the fame, perhaps a big green alien from space came to him and told him to become unhidden, perhaps he promised a dying friend on this death bed he'd come out...whatever, the reasons don't matter...the fact is the curtain is gone, the game has lost it's mystique, and frankly I think that if the PM/player interaction doesn't cease, this ARG will become nothing more then a harsh lesson to all the other PM's on what NOT to do. I mean, It’s kind of hard to write a sexy email to OpAphid when you know that instead of some sexy vixen responding to your emails, it’s really a man with a beard and honestly, that part of the “mystery” may truly be ruined forever…but I think with good damage control, perhaps even that can be reversed.

The forums are dying, the IRC is dying and disappointment mars almost every chat lately. It's no fun to play a game when thinly veiled "hints" of when the next drop is going to come (or not come) are being given out. We should have a game that's so alive, so kicking, so rocking that we have way to much to do then to just log in when rumors of a drop come and to log out when it's been postponed and we shouldn't need the PM to tell us this or hint at this. We should be too busy figuring out puzzles, interacting with characters, finding drops to even think about interacting with the PM in an OOG way. A lot of people say they are here for the game and I hope that's true, perhaps if our PM went back into the shadows we'd see if that was true.

I miss the old game, with the PM was nothing more then a Bot. As a counselor, I'm always reminded not to break that boundary of counselor/friend and I think the same way there's a reason why the boundary of PM/Players should not be broken. You can't be both a PM and a friend, just like I can't be both a friend and a counselor to my clients. And when you break the PM curtian it becomes harder and harder to observe and respect those boundaries.

Anyway. Rereading this it seems a bit harsh and I don't make it sound like I don't appreciate all the PM has done, because did make something out of nothing and I know it's taken a lot of hard work, he's done an excellent job with so many of the videos and puzzles. I just hope he realizes how fragile this ARG is at the moment because I know none of us want to see this great community get pulled off of life support.

So here's to hoping for some kick-ass puzzles and drops in the upcoming weeks in true old-fashion ARG style Smile
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
"Men think if women are grabbing and clawing at each other there's a chance they might somehow you know... kiss." --Jerry Seinfeld, on the appeal of Catfights
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ziola
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falling,

I agree with what you are saying and I don't think that it sounds harsh at all. You made some excellent points and have brought up things that I had forgotton at this point.

Well said, dear.
Loki
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try as I might, I cannot seem to come up with a single excuse to defend the PM of this ARG... as much as I want to, and as good as I am at such things.

The selling out bit, well, that's easy to excuse, maybe he needed more resources. But the subsequent relative abandonment of the ARG? Inexcusable. No question.

I began watching the forums, and the ARG back around the time that lg15 was revealed as a "fraud" on YT. I watched CiW for awhile, and I glanced at Op vids from time to time. But now... I make the decision to start actively participating, only to find that I've missed the main event.

Whatever happened to that girl OpAphid?

Everything is not as it first appears.

Knowledge is power. Knowledge shared is power lost. -- Aleister Crowley
FallingIntoSin
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ziola wrote:
Falling,

I agree with what you are saying and I don't think that it sounds harsh at all. You made some excellent points and have brought up things that I had forgotton at this point.

Well said, dear.

Thank you for these kind words, I really appreciate them <3
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
"Men think if women are grabbing and clawing at each other there's a chance they might somehow you know... kiss." --Jerry Seinfeld, on the appeal of Catfights
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
surrealisticpill
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow.... this used to be a thread about a video.
mourningbelle
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like the blame for pulling back the curtain (or whatever you want to call it) is being firmly placed in the PM's hands, and I don't think that's right..

If I remember correctly, the first people to officially "out" the PM were a group of posters from Anchor Cove. And it wasn't as if he started messaging people on irc or youtube saying "Hi, my name is Glenn, and I'll be your friendly PM today". In every case I know of, the players have reached out to him in some way, whether it be for clues or hints or just to say hello and maybe talk about something non-meta.

I'm not trying to point fingers at any of the players, and I'm sorry if it's coming off that way. I don't think that anyone can be specifically blamed for this.

On the idea of the arg being "on life support", I agree that it's been.. Slow. To underestimate. Perhaps I'm being too forgiving, but I genuinely think that the "wait!" we've been getting as of late is acutally going to lead up to something.

It seems so harsh to be left out of the loop, not knowing what's coming next. I think that over the last two months of 2006, all the puzzles and videos came at such a quick pace that we didn't have a real chance to consider the contents fully before the next part came out. We all became so emotionally involved in the story at that point that now, being left in the dark waiting for something, we're all feeling a little like we've been dumped without a good reason. It's not you, it's me.

I do have faith that the game will continue soon enough. Wasn't the extreme let down of CIW part of the reason this game was created in the first place? I don't believe that the PM would leave us hanging out to dry like that.
At this time tomorrow
I'll be just one day closer
One sunset further behind
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
FallingIntoSin
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

If I remember correctly, the first people to officially "out" the PM were a group of posters from Anchor Cove. And it wasn't as if he started messaging people on irc or youtube saying "Hi, my name is Glenn, and I'll be your friendly PM today". In every case I know of, the players have reached out to him in some way, whether it be for clues or hints or just to say hello and maybe talk about something non-meta.

That's kind of my point, the PM should of never been reachable like he was and if he was reached shouldn't of responded. I'm not really familar with Anchor Cove (I never go over there) but I do know that a lot of people here (myself included) had figured out who the PM was a long time ago and kept it a secret until he made it "okay" for it be announced. Know who it was, didn't ruin it for me, I could still "believe" the ARG. Yes, the curtian can be pulled by players (I'm sure in some of the other ARGs, people have figured out who the PM is) but it takes two to swing it completely open.

I'm not saying a Sparkle hint every once in a while would kill the game, sometimes we do need honest direction/hints. But a Sparkle should be all it ever is. Just like you just don't call your counselor at home for a friendly chat, we shouldn't really be reaching out the PM about non-meta stuff. Though, as the PM, in a postion of authority and respect, he needs to be the one to draw the lines when players try to cross them.

I wasn't here for Cassie, but for all our sakes, I hope we aren't left out to dry like that again...but perhaps that would be better then a slow trickle that slowly dries up.

Like I said before, I too have hope that this ARG can be turned back around and I have hope that the PM has some awesome stuff coming up in the future (funny how we all know that he's working something, eh?). I'm not one to hold grudges, so if this game turns around I'll be happy as can be! Smile

And btw, it's good to hear from you Belle, I've been missing you! <3 It's always nice to hear the other sides of things in a thoughtful and well-written manner Smile and your one of the best of that!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
ladron121
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to say anything about the PM. I will say that anyone who has "meta" chats with a PM about the game they are playing is breaking the 4th wall dynamic of any ARG.

My official bottom line is there is no more OpAphid. There is the ARG aspect of LG15. And because it has changed, so has the game. Now we are going to have to wait longer periods of time for puzzles, and have shorter periods of time to solve them because they need to keep their video release schedule. That is going to always be more important to them than the game. The characters from OpAphid have become as diluted as the LG characters, and their interaction with us will be on the same level, which is only when it allows the story to move forward.
bethy
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's something to consider, something that I think got missed yesterday.

They're in the LA area again....

On the way to pick up Alex, they drove by the Santa Monica Toyota...which makes a lot of sense if they were driving to LAX from Malibu.

Here's a map of the location of the Santa Monica Toyota

That's the exact route I would take if I were going to LAX from Malibu. In fact, I've often done that very thing when I've wanted to avoid the 405. I head over Malibu Canyon to the coast from the west valley and down to Santa Monica, taking Lincoln past the Marina. It's a longer drive...but easier than the freeway during rush hour.

Now, if Bree went with Tachyon,is it safe to assume that Tachyon picked her up? They said Bree took off within 2 hours...that's not enough time for Tachy to drive south (we assume Alex lives in Malibu, I guess) from her usual stomping grounds up north.

We know that OpAPHID is in LA...so I guess it's safe to assume that Tachy is also in LA again.
bethy
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH!!!!

And yeah...the ARG is basically pooped out...big time.

I said this a long time ago...okay, it was only a month ago, but it seems longer...in the PM Revealed thread:

Quote:
Dropped off?? They've been practically non-existent. Clearly, his attention has been elsewhere, and while it still is with the project, I have to say that the ARG has suffered for it. It's been 2 full months since we've have regular activity. A puzzle here and there is okay, but it's been somewhat pointless. What was the point of the braille puzzle in the video? to hear Daniel's voice mail? Big whoop...I didn't see any added value with it. It was fun to solve the puzzle...but it really seemed like "busy" work more than anything else. And sending Tachy to Fiji??? Now that's a convenient way of stopping the action while he focuses on other stuff. Plus, the reveal of the puppet master is usually (though not always) part of the end of an ARG.

Although, I like that The Creators are willing to adopt his ideas. It's clear he's kind of been leading the story for the last two months. PLUS, having the "big picture" behind him will mean financial assistance for the ARG (I hope). Running ans ARG isn't cheap...so that's a good thing. HOWEVER...

The ARG is on life support right now. I know plenty of people who gave up a month ago. I mean, really...give it life or pull the plug. But by announcing he's the guy behind the curtain....it seems like, I dunno...despite the new ARC name, there's nothing happening. It was announced 9...10 days ago...nada.

I'm not trying to be overly critical here...but if he needs help keeping the ARG going, then he should find a few "lieutenant puppets". I think they need a team to work on the ARG as well. Even volunteers who take Glenn's direction...but at least keep the ARG alive. I'm sure there are several people here who would be more than willing to give their time and talent to help. Totally anonymously, of course....I don't think any of us would want to know who the "others" are.
ladron121
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job w/ the screencap bethy! However, travel hasn't always been a big problem for the characters in LG15. Jonas drove from Ukiah to the Los Angeles area to pick up Bree when he first became involved. That is easily a 10+ hour drive. And since Tachyon is always moving, she could have just been in the area when she picked up Bree. j

Who knows anymore. If the drops are in LA again, we have plenty of Jr. D.R.O.P. members ready to go Smile I'll sit back and get drunk w/ everyone else. Its good to be the boss Razz
Nieriel.Manwathiel
Owen's Helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loki wrote:
I think we're all getting bored... I know I am!

*considers writing lots of letters to the Creators and asking them to move the ARG along... or at least give us an OpA video to stare at for a few hours while we bounce our little ball...

In Japanese I'd say I've passed the -naritai (becoming) stage, and moved right on into the -desu (am) stage... u.u

Ah! ろきさん!ろきさんはせんぱいですか?わたしはいちねんせえです。
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> OpAphid: Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: