Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Discussion] Facility J - Pre-Drop Preparation
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Facility J: Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trainer101
Moderator Manager

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject: [Discussion] Facility J - Pre-Drop Preparation Reply with quote

In light of recent events it's been brought to my attention that IRC chat may not be the most open/transparent way to handle the upcoming drops. In the interest of involving as many members who want to play as possible, we are asking for your suggestions as to how to best handle the drop.

Three ideas have been mentioned -
1. Using the LG15 chat as opposed to IRC - I do not know if everyone can get in or not, I'm relying on you to share your experiences.

2. Using this forum - I don't have a problem with cleaning up a thread when we're done with it. The obvious issue is how much traffic the forum can handle. Granted, we are not a big group at this moment, but even as small as we are a new video could bog down the forum considerably (perhaps the LG chat too, for that matter).

3. Use IRC and post the chat logs - if not here, then somewhere where they are accessible to everyone. Full disclosure - the logs will be available to all players.

We are open to ideas so if you have 'em, share 'em.

EDIT to say - by "we" I mean the folks who have been playing - not the PM of the game.

Last edited by trainer101 on Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:55 pm; edited 5 times in total
ShardinsKitten
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh I say we can use IRC, and anything there can be copied and pasted here. The rule for not posting logs, was on the OpAphid chat, this is a different chat, and a different thing, so I don't see why it couldn't be done.

And personally, if it ends up being Mine that goes and gets it, I know I'll have to act as operator for him (because he wont give his number to just anyone) and the speed of the chat is helpful, and easier when trying to get questions answered both ways vs. the forums.

The only other suggestion I have is, (if everyone has yahoo) to set up a yahoo conference with everyone.

ultimately I'll go with whatever ya'll decide and think is best, this is just MO.
trainer101
Moderator Manager

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ShardinsKitten. At the request of Luminous, I've added a third option. This is not a poll (I hate those things) just a discussion.
TOSG
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who do we have in place that could retrieve the drop? I know that sskylarr posted something to the effect that she may be able to do it, but did we find anyone else, in the event that she couldn't?

Regarding IRC, I do think that a real-time chat option is preferable. I'm not a personal fan of IRC, but if that's what people want, then that's fine. I do agree that we should make the chat logs public domain if so, though.

How do you think Walter/TravelerJ will let us know when the drop has been made? I would imagine that a video would be posted, but we should probably keep our eyes open in other channels as well - any ideas?
trainer101
Moderator Manager

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walter hinted to Luminous that we should be ready around mid-week so it could be any day now. I think ShardinsKitten has a retriever ready in addition to sskylarr.

We should probably keep an eye on their MySpace accounts in addition to their YouTube accounts.
Luminous
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trainer101 wrote:
Walter hinted to Luminous that we should be ready around mid-week so it could be any day now. I think ShardinsKitten has a retriever ready in addition to sskylarr.

We should probably keep an eye on their MySpace accounts in addition to their YouTube accounts.

I've been thinking about this, and here's what I predict. The numbers on page 41 are 0312 - 0316.

0312 - I received email confirmation of the drop - look for something mid week, which would be 0314. So what about 0316?

0314 - So maybe Walter releases another puzzle either through a video or a profile change on YouTube or MySpace. We have until Friday to decode and finish with drop preparations. (The drop address and numbers are on page 43.

0316 - The drop actually happens.

I don't know this for a fact, but it makes sense to me.

Last edited by Luminous on Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Luminous
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOSG wrote:

Regarding IRC, I do think that a real-time chat option is preferable. I'm not a personal fan of IRC, but if that's what people want, then that's fine. a

I'm wondering if there is a better chat option than IRC? The biggest problem I see with IRC is it's really hard to register if you aren't familiar with it. It isn't very intuitive or user friendly

The problem with the LG15 chat is it uses alot of resources, and lugs down peoples systems. Also, when we set up a room, it delets itself in a few minutes if it isn't active, so you have to keep setting it up over and over again.

Does anyone know of a chat software that is easier for people to use?
TOSG
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luminous wrote:
TOSG wrote:

Regarding IRC, I do think that a real-time chat option is preferable. I'm not a personal fan of IRC, but if that's what people want, then that's fine. a

I'm wondering if there is a better chat option than IRC? The biggest problem I see with IRC is it's really hard to register if you aren't familiar with it. It isn't very intuitive or user friendly

The problem with the LG15 chat is it uses alot of resources, and lugs down peoples systems. Also, when we set up a room, it delets itself in a few minutes if it isn't active, so you have to keep setting it up over and over again.

Does anyone know of a chat software that is easier for people to use?

Personally, I like AIM (more for its ubiquity than anything else, but it's functional enough) - very user-friendly, and easy to start up a chat room using it.

Although, I could understand people not wanting to be arsed to set up a screen name if they don't have one already (although it's quite easy).
trainer101
Moderator Manager

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we should schedule a "dry run" chat to test various options.
Luminous
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have the IRC open. All you have to do is register. I'm also researching other chat options.
Luminous
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOSG wrote:

Personally, I like AIM (more for its ubiquity than anything else, but it's functional enough) - very user-friendly, and easy to start up a chat room using it.

Although, I could understand people not wanting to be arsed to set up a screen name if they don't have one already (although it's quite easy).

I'll go check out AIM. What ever way we go, people are going to have to register and set up a name if they want to participate. I don't see any way around that.
Luminous
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realize AIM was AOL. Do you have to be registered for AOL to have AIM?
TOSG
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luminous wrote:
I didn't realize AIM was AOL. Do you have to be registered for AOL to have AIM?

Nope. You can just download AIM and set up a screen name.
kellylen
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AIM is free too Smile
Luminous
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you get slammed with ads? And what if I want to uninstall? Can I remove it? /me no like or trust AOL Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by Luminous on Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Facility J: Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: