Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

just an object; it doesn't mean what you think.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
exastra
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: just an object; it doesn't mean what you think. Reply with quote

several people complain how boring this series has gotten and how anti-climactic the "I Completed the Ceremony" vid was.

but maybe the mistake is in percieving this as a narrative, episodic series instead of a video blog. if we treat this as we are meant to-- as a vlog-- then the presentation of events is realistic and proper. this can't follow the same protocols and conventions as a tv show, or you break the established format and the established reality.

An inflexible audience will be ambivalent, disappointed and feel cheated if a story does not conform to that audience’s expectation or assumption of a particular format or plot point. They who prefer the familiar and predictable will be incapable of appreciating and allowing such divergent innovation, and therefore be unwilling to. If such an audience goes into a story expecting it to be a drama and it turns out to a romantic comedy, instead of accepting and enjoying the merits of the story, that audience will rebuke and resist. That which betrays the expected and typical or defies and denies a definitive definition is anathema.

let's use our imaginations and be more openminded instead of judgmental and expecting to be spoon fed. innovation requires that boundaries be exceeded and stereoypes defied.
nevermind that the page is wrinkled, the story written on that page is what's important. let the creators tell their story. let the story be and become whatever it is.
demerick
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: just an object; it doesn't mean what you think. Reply with quote

exastra wrote:
They who prefer the familiar and predictable will be incapable of appreciating and allowing such divergent innovation, and therefore be unwilling to.

Okay, I'm blonde and I'm not able to interpret what you're trying to say here. Forgive me. Could I get you to clarify? Thanks.

I do agree with what you're saying. Our expectations here are based on what we expect from television and cinema. This is a different form and therefore we can't depend on those expectations to guide our experience here. It's easy for us to fall in love with our theories, but we should realize that they are just theories. I've been guilty of this like so many others. Thanks for the reality check.
nancymakuhari
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is this directly related to plot discussion?

Also, congrats on your expanded vocabulary. I am confident that you'll be able to sway the ignorant masses through your patronizingly superior tone.
exastra
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, that wasn't meant to be condescending. but if you felt patronized, maybe that says more about you than me?
anyway, i only meant to point out that many folks are criticizing the show for trying to be consistent with what it is.
if it isn't internally consistent, or is consistent but you don't like how that consistency develops, then it makes sense to complain about that.
but don't hate a psuedo-vlog for trying to be vlog-ish.

this post is related to the plot because how we percieve this influences what we think the plot is or should be or is "supposed to be".
Flautapantera

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't exactly get the same condescending and/or patronizing tone.

Although I DO love the enlarged vocabulary. I love smarties. Very Happy

You know that moment where you just want to grab a pair of scissors and run away with them?
exastra
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, and answering demerick: to translate, if you want what is expected or normal then you aren't likely to enjoy the unexpected or abnormal, nor be likely to tolerate it.

smarties rawk! Very Happy
vertigo
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nancymakuhari wrote:
How is this directly related to plot discussion?

Also, congrats on your expanded vocabulary. I am confident that you'll be able to sway the ignorant masses through your patronizingly superior tone.

Heeeeehehheheheheh thanks for the LOL!! Very Happy

But seriously, my english is not good enough to understand all that.

I feel uneducated.
TheDoctorIsIn
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exastra wrote:
sorry, that wasn't meant to be condescending. but if you felt patronized, maybe that says more about you than me?
anyway, i only meant to point out that many folks are criticizing the show for trying to be consistent with what it is.
if it isn't internally consistent, or is consistent but you don't like how that consistency develops, then it makes sense to complain about that.
but don't hate a psuedo-vlog for trying to be vlog-ish.

this post is related to the plot because how we percieve this influences what we think the plot is or should be or is "supposed to be".

I'm pretty sure she meant that you're using language that wasn't consistent with the register of this forum. That does come across as patronizing, especially to educated people. You aim your language at your audience.

That aside, I think you're right. This reminds me more of the old serials from the pre-television days or the magazine serials. Short episodes that led to the next and tried to toss a hook in as well.
LesterG
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: just an object; it doesn't mean what you think. Reply with quote

exastra wrote:
several people complain how boring this series has gotten and how anti-climactic the "I Completed the Ceremony" vid was.

but maybe the mistake is in percieving this as a narrative, episodic series instead of a video blog. if we treat this as we are meant to-- as a vlog-- then the presentation of events is realistic and proper. this can't follow the same protocols and conventions as a tv show, or you break the established format and the established reality.

An inflexible audience will be ambivalent, disappointed and feel cheated if a story does not conform to that audience’s expectation or assumption of a particular format or plot point. They who prefer the familiar and predictable will be incapable of appreciating and allowing such divergent innovation, and therefore be unwilling to. If such an audience goes into a story expecting it to be a drama and it turns out to a romantic comedy, instead of accepting and enjoying the merits of the story, that audience will rebuke and resist. That which betrays the expected and typical or defies and denies a definitive definition is anathema.

let's use our imaginations and be more openminded instead of judgmental and expecting to be spoon fed. innovation requires that boundaries be exceeded and stereoypes defied.
nevermind that the page is wrinkled, the story written on that page is what's important. let the creators tell their story. let the story be and become whatever it is.

way to kill all the fun, geeze....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Plot Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: