Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Live in-character event?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Concerns and Complaints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luminous
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deagol wrote:
I'll copy-paste my thoughts from the other thread:

deagol wrote:
I think they've taken this important step in a very irresponsible manner. Here's just a few reasons:

1. I would've never used email, I would use forum and comments PM's. Of course, HoO isn't supposed to be privy of this site, but that's another issue.

2. You never, never say "oh don't tell anyone" and expect it to remain secret. It never happens, and it only introduces distrust, division, and deception within the community.

3. You figure out a way to make sure everyone in the community is aware of this being official, and clearly communicate the OOC objectives and the motivation behind it. A simple announcement by the creators would suffice.

4. You announce this early in the morning, so that you are available to field any issues that come forward in a timely fashion.

5. You don't jump right away on the first week of your brand new ARG and throw this logistically complex event on the community, no matter how much you've planned it. The players also need to plan.

6. Rules of engagement need to be discussed and agreed on, potentially disruptive behavior needs to be foreseen, fully specified, and somehow enforced by the whole community.

7. Again, sharing must be encouraged at every level. Understandably, direct participation in the event would have to be limited, but then those that can't participate need to be assured that information about the event will be available, and everyone'll have total access to whichever insights come from it.

8. I will give the benefit of the doubt and assume no minors have received the invite. That's just common sense.

9. Security needs to be guaranteed for all players, and this is not paranoia or exageration. I'm sure they've thought of this, but they have to realize that they have no control over who's going to show up there, and what some people are prepared to do to make themselves the center of attention. It'd be very naive to hope that there's no one in LA with misguided, or, God forbid, malicious intentions.

I think I'll stop here and let people think about these, discuss, shoot'em down, add their own, or ignore these concerns, whatever rocks your boat.

Good luck and I really hope this has been thought out throughly.

I just want to add that Esteed expressed really well what I'm trying to convey here.

Deagol, I wholeheartedly agree with you and Esteed.
Carmilla07
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why everyone is going crazy about this. It seems to me that people are just looking for reasons to complain and worry about nonexistent problems.

The NIN ARG did something like this not to long ago (they had everyone meet in LA and look for a van that we would have to knock on) and no one freaked out in the forums or got hurt during the event.

I also hope that those of us who got the e-mail and RSVPed get a confirmation number or something so not just anyone can show up and take our spots.
Luminous
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carmilla07 wrote:
I don't see why everyone is going crazy about this. It seems to me that people are just looking for reasons to complain and worry about nonexistent problems.

The NIN ARG did something like this not to long ago (they had everyone meet in LA and look for a van that we would have to knock on) and no one freaked out in the forums or got hurt during the event.

I also hope that those of us who got the e-mail and RSVPed get a confirmation number or something so not just anyone can show up and take our spots.

If LG15 were a smaller operation, I would agree with you. But its not. It's had major news coverage for months. Thousands of people check in periodically to follow the story, most of whom never post on the forum. Certainly a large share of crazies post on YouTube.

While there are many of us who love and enjoy LG15, they've made their fair share of enemies over time. I'm very excited about the possibilities of a live in character event, however I think they really need to be very judicious about how they handle it, for the fun and safety of the players, as well as to minimize hard feelings that could arise within the community from a poorly organized or "exclusive" event.
Ziola
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luminous wrote:

If LG15 were a smaller operation, I would agree with you. But its not. It's had major news coverage for months. Thousands of people check in periodically to follow the story, most of whom never post on the forum. Certainly a large share of crazies post on YouTube.

While there are many of us who love and enjoy LG15, they've made their fair share of enemies over time. I'm very excited about the possibilities of a live in character event, however I think they really need to be very judicious about how they handle it, for the fun and safety of the players, as well as to minimize hard feelings that could arise within the community from a poorly organized or "exclusive" event.

Well said Lum...I'm sure we can all remember the fallout from the infamous Op phone calls...and that was just a small group of people. Something that has the potential to become very large and out of control should be really well planned...which isn't something the Creators are well known for (sorry guys, but its the truth)
Carmilla07
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luminous wrote:

I would just like to point out that NIN isn't exactly a small group and the NIN Year Zero ARG got far more press coverage than the lonelygirl ARG ever did.

I think by it's very nature this is meant to be a somewhat exclusive event since only people that scored 100% and live in the LA area got the e-mail invitation and only the first 35 people will get the invitation at the event. That also narrowed it down to only people who were serious about the ARG and not just causal viewers (such as random people on youtube). They also can't be expected to hold events everywhere in the US. They are based in Cali so only makes sense that most of the activities would be near where they are.

I get what you guys are saying though only thing I'm actually worried me about is if we are allowed to bring a friend. The invitation says not to tell anyone about it which I would assume means I wouldn't be allowed to tell a friend and bring them.

Telling people to wander into a LA park by themselves isn't a good idea. The e-mail should have said that we could bring one friend with us if anything just for safety reasons.
The Creators
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that The Hymn of One email and seminar are not gamejacks or a hoaxes. This is our first ever "live event." For safety reasons, we are keeping it small. Only the first 35 people that received an email and show up at the location will receive further information about the very small and private seminar. All others will be turned away. We think this will be a really cool day and hopefully the beginning of more in our quest to create a truly interactive form of entertainment.

Thanks,

Greg
modelmotion
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: safety Reply with quote

There are still a few issues of safety here.

Can you talk about what steps will be taken to protect people who attend given that the location has now been made public.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ApotheosisAZ
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: safety Reply with quote

modelmotion wrote:
There are still a few issues of safety here.

Can you talk about what steps will be taken to protect people who attend given that the location has now been made public.

That is my primary concern about this event.

The way this has been presented is frankly not SMRT.

Either The Creators actually believed that this would remain secret (not SMRT) or they knew it would be leaked and remained silent until now (also not SMRT.)

That is why I jumped to the conclusion that it might have been a hoax. I gave The Creators more credit than that.

The community deserves assurances of security for the participants.
milowent
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: safety Reply with quote

ApotheosisAZ wrote:

why, though? heads would roll if something bad happened, but i don't see why they should be revealing details of their precautions to us in advance. i think anybody who feels the slightest bit of apprehension in being involved in the live event should just skip it, and send me in their place.
modelmotion
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: operator Reply with quote

My thought is that anyone who attends should have an "operator" in contact with them just as they would for an ARG drop. That seems like the only way we can ensure that someone does not get tricked while attending the event.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ApotheosisAZ
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: safety Reply with quote

milowent wrote:
ApotheosisAZ wrote:

why, though? heads would roll if something bad happened, but i don't see why they should be revealing details of their precautions to us in advance. i think anybody who feels the slightest bit of apprehension in being involved in the live event should just skip it, and send me in their place.

Milo, Greg's announcement makes it sound as if the only security precaution taken so far is this:

The Creators wrote:
For safety reasons, we are keeping it small.

While I am not actually suggesting that they should reveal all details, I am suggesting that they should at least assure us that such precautions have been taken.
Luminous
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: operator Reply with quote

modelmotion wrote:
My thought is that anyone who attends should have an "operator" in contact with them just as they would for an ARG drop. That seems like the only way we can ensure that someone does not get tricked while attending the event.

This is an excellent idea Smile And it would expand the fan base that is able to participate. Maybe chat could be used to relay the attendees experiences so that those who aren't "chosen" could at least be included.
Esteed
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care one whit if there's one of these in every state. I don't care if there's one of these in any other state. I live in Delaware and the show is primarily based in California. That means anything that goes down like this probably won't be an option for me to really participate in. I accepted this when I started watching the series and really, if you don't like it, find a webshow based in your home state to watch so that you can participate.

Do you want to know my problem with this? This is a public place. Anyone can access it. It doesn't matter if people are turned away after 35 people enter. There are safety issues here, and more precautions will be necessary than "keeping it small". I don't pretend to demand the Creators reveal all, but at least saying, "Don't worry, we've got plainclothes cops stationed throughout the park just in case," would go a long way. Even hiring some rent-a-cops is better than just "keeping it small".

If these measures have been done, all the Creators need to do to assure the community is say they have been done. That's it. If they haven't been done? Faulty planning. Great idea, but faulty planning.
Luminous
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree safety should be a primary concern, but I don't think we should necessarily count on the creators handling our safety. Cops or no cops, I agree with modelmotion - it's always good to have an operator in a situation like this - especially since attendees are not allowed to bring a friend.

I also think it would be wonderful for the fanbase if the creators provide a way for the greater part of the community to enjoy participating as well.
modelmotion
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: operator Reply with quote

I think we also need to look at the precident being set here for the ARG community. I remember being in the Maddy chat room when someone chewed our everyone really really really severely for allowing someone to go to a drop without an operator.

We are all learning here but in todays world I think that rule was probably set up for safety purposes but it also allows for the experience to be shared as mentioned above so its really win win.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Concerns and Complaints All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: