Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spencer Gilman's Hero - Stanley Miller

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArgenteumAstrum
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Spencer Gilman's Hero - Stanley Miller Reply with quote

So, after visiting Spencer's supposed La LabRat (which, I'm POSSITIVE is his), I saw his hero's section listed...his father, the dead Isaac Gillman and (the also dead) Stanely Miller. I hopped over to my absolute favorite website...wikipedia, and searched for him. The website stated "Stanley Lloyd Miller (March 7, 1930 - May 20, 2007) was an American chemist and biologist who was known for his studies into the origin of life."

The article says he was a Professor of Chemistry at UCLA - San Diego, the same school Spencer's myspace claims he went to...odd. Now, the wikipedia article states he's dead (so, contacting him about Spence would be kind of hard), and links another article on the UCLA website, which I explored and honestly, it seemed a bit fishy...anyone, feel free to check it out.

I spent a good deal of time looking up Dr. Miller and all his "famous" experiments. One in particular that struck a cord with me, was the Miller/Urey Experiment. It discusses the origins of life. I found this to be really interesting.

Like I've said in other posts...I have a theory about HoO being heavy into eternal life. The logo for The Wyman Foundation is the extremely similar to the logo that we were introduced to way back in video 103,"Breaking & Entering", the one about Epogen. The symbol, most commonly known as a figure 8, is also a mathematical symbol for infinity. The connection I thought of, was when Bree kept saying "the eternal song", eternal = eternity...eternity = an infinite amount of time.

Anyway, that's what I think...mull it over, do what you will.
Luminous
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a quote from Stanley Millers UCSD site. It's from this link:
http://exobio.ucsd.edu/birthday_70.htm

No wonder he's one of Spencer's heroes. He was just 23 when he first presented what was to become his defining work at the University of Chicago to a room full of distinguished scientists:

Quote:
The concept that life began in a primordial soup on the early Earth was proposed by Oparin and Haldane in the 1920s. However, how the organic compounds in the soup could have been synthesized on the early Earth was first experimentally demonstrated in spring of 1953 during a seminar given by Stanley in Kent Hall at the University of Chicago. In the audience were some of our century's greatest scientists, who had come to the University as part of the Manhattan project and stayed on after the war.

Only the most distinguished scientists, many who either had or would eventually be awarded Nobel prizes, were usually invited to present these distinguished Department of Chemistry seminars. To have a 23-year-old graduate student give one was unprecedented. Nonetheless, the room was full because the word had spread that some new Earth-shaking results were going to be presented. Needless to say, Stanley was a bit nervous.

The news that Stanley reported is of course now world famous-passing an electric spark through a sealed glass apparatus containing a mixture of methane, ammonia, hydrogen, and water vapor had resulted in the synthesis of some of the amino acids found in proteins. Perhaps, he suggested, this was how organic compounds were made on the ancient Earth before life existed.

While Stanley was confident of his results, the rows of famous faces in his audience were, to say the least, intimidating. He was bombarded with questions. Were the analyses done correctly? Could there have been contamination?

James Arnold, who is now an emeritus professor at the University of California at San Diego, was in the fourth row. He remembers sitting between two other chemistry professors who - before the lecture - were convinced that what Stanley was going to report was either an artifact or caused by contamination. After the lecture they sat in silence, unable to find any flaws in what Stanley had done.

Last edited by Luminous on Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:28 am; edited 2 times in total
ArgenteumAstrum
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I read on the subject, the more I truely believe HoO is dedicated to finding the "fountain of youth" or something like that. They obviously have some pretty smart people working with them. Personally, I have no interest in living forever. Good luck with that one HoO...
Skunkwaffle
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes me wonder how Bree having to do the ceremony of her own free will would have affected it.
staceyepileptic
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this on one of Spencer's MySpace friends hero:

Kenneth R. Miller, Ph.D.
Professor of Biology, Brown University
"Intelligent Design is a new anti-evolution movement that has been presented as an alternative to an older formulation known as "creation science." It argues that an unnamed "designer" must have been responsible for much of the process, although it presents no evidence for the actions of such a designer. Theological explanations may be correct, of course, but they cannot be tested by methods of science and are therefore not science."

And thanks to wikipedia: Kenneth R. Miller (born 1948) is a biology professor at Brown University.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Plot Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: