Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WWggD?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
curiousGeorge
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: WWggD? Reply with quote

OK, so you are Curious Wink about such an obtuse thread title. Good for you, we're off to a most excellent start!

I would like to propose a discussion about posting. Posting say you, what about it? Welllll...........

Recent weeks have seen a tremendous amount of acrimony and general nastiness in some parts of the phorum, primarily in the Concerns and Complaints section. Bitter threads have devolved into some really harsh affairs, several of them ending up being locked by BK. As well they should have been...

First things first: Am I the LAST monkey who should be attempting to bring this issue to bear? Probably so. Perhaps that is why I think that we should address the issue head on. I have had several nice conversations with both Mods and ex-Mods about this descent into nastiness, all agree that it is a most undesirable trend.

Second things second: It's a fairly commonly held premise that these kinds of nasty threads are at their worst when the LG storyline it in a lull. I doubt many would disagree with this premise. Even if you do disagree, it really has no bearing on the real issue if you do feel that way.

Third things third: It is also fairly conventional phorum wisdom that our dear departed gogo was probably one of the best all around posters to ever grace this phorum. She and her alter ego, Ms. Kelly, had a wonderful way with language that was always insightful, but never mean, coarse, or hateful. She was probably the most thoughtful and kind person to grace this phorum. Indeed, I dedicate this line of discussion to her.

Has the monkey fallen off his branch? No, not so much. I am just tired of the negativity and would at least try and start a discussion about how we treat each other in this wacky online community.

Sooooooo, I propose that before we engage in some post that is obviously an attack on another person, we should ask ourselves first:

What Would gogo Do Question (WWggD?)

I'm not a religious monkey, so the obvious ripoff of a theological slogan is purely the lack of my limited imagination. I kinda think it fits though, it's easy to remember, and makes me smile when I think of her...

Hmmmmm. That's not easy now is it. I'm a mischievous monkey, not a highly educated schoolmistress! And dammit, I like to attack those who I feel deserve it! Try again, banana brain(s). That is not correct.

I think we have an OBLIGATION to treat each other with civility and a modicum of respect. Will we disagree? Hell yes, but that is no reason to launch a personal attack and a sign of a limited ability to engage in classical rhetorical debate. And yes, I am one of the worst perps of this tactic, usually in the thinly veiled disguise of sarcasm...

I could go on, but I think I have made at least an opening to a line of discussion on improving civility. I am interested to hear your responses.
Luminous
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: WWggD? Reply with quote

curiousGeorge wrote:

What Would gogo Do Question (WWggD?)

Applause

What a perfectly fitting legacy.
Broken Kid
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gogo is missed and will always be fondly remembered.

I have long suggested that before posting, someone should think about their post. Sort of that "think first, talk second" philosophy. Maybe this is an even better suggestion. Instead of that, maybe it's a great idea to think about what someone you admire would do or say. Smile
galatea024
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

who was gogo? (New here...) what happened - did someone offend gogo or did this person really pass away?
curiousGeorge
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

galatea024 wrote:
who was gogo? (New here...) what happened - did someone offend gogo or did this person really pass away?

A wonderful lady who returned to her family and students after a wonderful run at the phorum.

Broken Kid wrote:

I have long suggested that before posting, someone should think about their post. Sort of that "think first, talk second" philosophy. Maybe this is an even better suggestion. Instead of that, maybe it's a great idea to think about what someone you admire would do or say. Smile

I thought about "Think Before You Post!", but:

Luminous wrote:

What a perfectly fitting legacy.

was more meaningful to me.
Luminous
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gogo was probably the most civilized poster ever to grace the forum. She stopped posting awhile ago. Most of us who knew her miss her greatly.

You can get to know her by reading here posts here
http://lonelygirl15.com/forum/search.php?search_author=gogo
although it won't be the same as interacting with her live.

As you will learn if you read the galien thread - She left with Klaatu, and hasn't been seen nor heard from since.
ApotheosisAZ
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is indeed a touching farewell to one of the brightest and finest people ever to grace this forum with her presence.

When I think back to times when gogo encouraged people to participate here, and for no other reward than the kindness of so doing, I am inspired to do likewise.

Even when some who didn't understand her message might say something untoward, she responded only with tact and grace.

Remembering gogo's participation will be best served by following her noble example.

Thank you, curiousGeorge, for your brilliantly written reminder.

Apo
Ziola
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is quite possibly the best suggestion that I have seen on this forum (or phorum, whichever you prefer) in weeks. Many thanks to you, curiousGeorge for stepping coming forward with this. Hopefully we, as a community, can live up to this suggestion.

After all, gogo would want it that way.
trainer101
Moderator Manager

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's all raise our glasses in a toast to that wonderful and gracious lady. Gogo, if you're out there, we miss you dearly and thanks...

Great post CG.
Killthesmiley
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first though this thread was going to be "what would greg goodfried do?" and I was ready to bring ghetto self out a flayle my arms around screaming...

and then I saw gogo.

and tears (literally) welled up in my eyes.

I miss my dancer.

YOU: Who does that KTS think she is? Total bitch!

ME: I think I'm you, only better.

~Kelly, KMurr, and Kellylen <3~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
curiousGeorge
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good posts all! As an interesting aside, I found a wonderful site that has done a pretty good job of cataloging (well, typecasting really) the various types of bad forum behaviour.

I thought the mods here would especially get a kick out of (Hit the dropdown menu on the right side of the screen) this site . Someone obviously spent a lot of time with this, our quandary here is not unique!
Ziola
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curiousGeorge wrote:
Good posts all! As an interesting aside, I found a wonderful site that has done a pretty good job of cataloging (well, typecasting really) the various types of bad forum behaviour.

I thought the mods here would especially get a kick out of (Hit the dropdown menu on the right side of the screen) this site . Someone obviously spent a lot of time with this, our quandary here is not unique!
Laughing That is brilliant! Wonderful find to go with my morning coffee. Thanks much, curiousGeorge.
chershaytoute

Location: Oregon with an ocean view...across the neighbors' cow pasture, wow!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cG, this is absolutely brilliant! Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful idea!

You are my most favorite of all monkeys!

WWggD - let's make the Breeniverse a better place to live...

Thanks to giddeanx for the coolest personal glue stick ever!
milowent
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i figured out what happened to gogo! her new CD came out last week!

Luminous
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew things were heating up for her when she smashed the light bulb.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Suggestions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: