Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aleister Crowley: relevant element or moot & dead ended?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam fan
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Aleister Crowley: relevant element or moot & dead ended? Reply with quote

In the "Video" section thread for "I'm Here To Help", Samara nailed Spencer's reference to a character in a Kuttner book.

Kuttner is related to Crowley by one degree of separation and this seemed possibly significant, so I posted this in the aforemnetioned thread:
Sam fan wrote:

Wow! Good call, Samara! Applause

Being a sci-fi geek myself, I know that the author, Henry Kuttner, was one of the authors/fans who was in touch with H.P. Lovecraft....

Lovecraft, as you guys probably know, crafted stories about the Cthulhu mythos.

Any Lovecraft fans know it's possible to wax at length about the Cthulhu "reality", but the wiki gives a good, relatively short shot of info:
"The Mythos usually takes place in fictional New England towns and is centered on the Great Old Ones, a fearsome assortment of ancient, powerful deities who came from outer space and once ruled the Earth. " ... Think "Enochian" anyone?!

The Enochian thread is woven further because Lovecraft was often linked with *da da da DA!* Aleister Crowley. The link was usually ideological/professional, but a deeper link is that Lovecraft married one of Crowley's former lovers, who no doubt regaled him with tales (which Lovecraft fans think is at the base of his "History of the Necronomicon").
[...]
It may have nothing to do with actual, or main, plot of this series, but in my opinion it's great fun, anyway.
[...]
*sigh* ...well, maybe Spencer's reference was a nod to the Kuttner->Lovecraft->Crowley/Enochian link, anyway. Who knows? Rolling Eyes

Maybe the Crowley link is just coincidence -- and the Creators put Crowley's picture up on Bree's bedroom wall because it looked spooky and "occult"... but it's interesting to see it resurface with Spencer and it's got me wondering. Think

Also, December 15, 2006 has turned out to be a significant day in the Breeverse and a video about Crowley was posted on YouTUbe on that date: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU-Oy8Xv4Xw

If this is beating a dead horse, I apologize...

[EDIT: statement removed to avoid offending people.]
chershaytoute

Location: Oregon with an ocean view...across the neighbors' cow pasture, wow!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I'm not sure if he's relevant anymore or not. I tend to think he must be, since, as you say, there was the picture on Bree's wall and there's the quote making the the connection to the Hymn of One on their website. I hadn't really thought about one degree of separation though (and I just happen to be a big science fiction fan, too - like you and Samara, I picked up on the book connection, though I was a bit embarrassed not to have caught the Sliders thing (is that a TV show - sometimes I think I'm pretty hopeless <rueful grin>)

Either way, I seriously doubt it's coincidence!

Oh, and on a side note, I happen to be reading a book of Kuttner's short stories just now...gotta love that guy...timeless!

Anyway, I'm thinking, since this is a Crowley thing, we might get more discussion going in the Her Religion area, so I'm gonna scoot us over that-a-way...

WWggD - let's make the Breeniverse a better place to live...

Thanks to giddeanx for the coolest personal glue stick ever!
rupaZer0
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the link to Crowley will be limited. The HoO cannot be Thelema because the Creators have already said it is not based on any single real-world religion. That doesn't mean Crowley won't become relevant again, but he's not super-important.
chershaytoute

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam fan, you've got to be on to SOMETHING! The newest video mentions another Kuttner story and character - Dark World, so either the connection is through Kuttner or TO Kuttner, I dunno!

What other things can we posit here?

Sam fan
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chershaytoute wrote:
You know, I'm not sure if he's relevant anymore or not. I tend to think he must be, since, as you say, there was the picture on Bree's wall and there's the quote making the the connection to the Hymn of One on their website. I hadn't really thought about one degree of separation though (and I just happen to be a big science fiction fan, too - like you and Samara, I picked up on the book connection, though I was a bit embarrassed not to have caught the Sliders thing (is that a TV show - sometimes I think I'm pretty hopeless <rueful grin>)

Either way, I seriously doubt it's coincidence!

Oh, and on a side note, I happen to be reading a book of Kuttner's short stories just now...gotta love that guy...timeless!

Anyway, I'm thinking, since this is a Crowley thing, we might get more discussion going in the Her Religion area, so I'm gonna scoot us over that-a-way...

Good idea (moving that) ~ thanks!

Because of the Enochian connection (and that having been a part of the ceremony) I'm thinking it might still be relevant.

That an interesting coincidence that you happen to be reading one of Kuttner's books! (Although a true metaphysician would say that there are NO coincidences, right? Wink )

rupaZer0 wrote:
I think the link to Crowley will be limited. The HoO cannot be Thelema because the Creators have already said it is not based on any single real-world religion. That doesn't mean Crowley won't become relevant again, but he's not super-important.

That's a good point abuot teh Thelema, for sure... I just think that there is more to Crowley than strictly Thelema ~ as mentioned, the Enochian might link with the "alien race" and the alien race ties in with Cthulhu/Lovecraft->Kuttner-. Spencer video. maybe <shrug>
Sam fan
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chershaytoute wrote:
Sam fan, you've got to be on to SOMETHING! The newest video mentions another Kuttner story and character - Dark World, so either the connection is through Kuttner or TO Kuttner, I dunno!

What other things can we posit here?

Thank you for sparking that thread of convo, Diane ~ you're awesome. Very Happy ...
...what gleams out like neon from the Dark World plot is that ine of the main characters (Ganleon) is the head of a group of mutated who live in Dark World (Bree is a mutant, right?)... and once he goes to Earth and then back to D.W. he has two distinct personalities -- wasn't there some speculation about Bree having an alter ego (Cassie perhaps?), or maybe the brainwashed Bree and the Order-resisting Bree couldbe seen as two distinct personalities.

How that would tie in with the current plot line though? Hmmmm Think
chershaytoute

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can hardly wait to see what the next Kuttner reference is - and I am SURE there's going to be one. I have a strong hunch Spencer's going to make one.

I wonder, too, where Orson Scott Card and Vonegut come in...?

AngLSTM
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the Hymn is gone, but does that mean they couldn't have other religions? It's still the easiest way to dupe disenfranchised scared young mothers or soon to be mothers.... look at how many spiritual quests Steve went on after he left HoO...
atnegam
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AngLSTM wrote:
So the Hymn is gone, but does that mean they couldn't have other religions? It's still the easiest way to dupe disenfranchised scared young mothers or soon to be mothers.... look at how many spiritual quests Steve went on after he left HoO...
They are still doing ceremonies. Not sure how they are framing the ceremony without religion
grace2_89
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atnegam wrote:
AngLSTM wrote:
They are still doing ceremonies. Not sure how they are framing the ceremony without religion

They are? How do we know that? Did I miss something?

(Sorry, that sounds accusatory but it's not supposed to! Very Happy )
atnegam
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grace2_89 wrote:
atnegam wrote:
AngLSTM wrote:

They are? How do we know that? Did I miss something?

(Sorry, that sounds accusatory but it's not supposed to! Very Happy )

In the new lonely girl video Bree talks about being selected for the ceremony. I assume that they are still going on. Without the draining of blood of teenage girls, the Order really doesn't seem so bad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Her Religion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: