Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mage: The Ascension Character Sheet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Clues and Puzzles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grace2_89
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: Mage: The Ascension Character Sheet Reply with quote

It seems that this document needs some unpacking, so I thought it would make sense to give it its own thread. I don't know anything about this game, but it seems that others do, so discuss away! Smile

grace2_89
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Slack, talezine mentioned this:
Quote:
talezine [12:08 PM]
Paradox occurs when a Mage performs wild magic: pure magic that breaks the rules followed by non mages (breaks laws of science). Paradox buildup can cause nasty effects: insanity, feedback, silence, or deformities to the person. More wild the magic, more serious the effect, the more paradox crated. This Mage has been pushing her luck.

talezine [12:14 PM]
She is a master computer user, and with technology, she's like a fish in water...swims through it with ease. Very intelligent, but has high manipulative stats...
grace2_89
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

User equeslilia wrote:

Quote:
Not a big fan of Mage (I prefer another setting of the same game world), so I can read this char sheet only not-too-deeply. But for me it looks like M. was playing herself in this game. So it's may be her way of introducing herself to us.

What catches me in is this Isolated Upbringing Flaw.

[4:57]
> You were raised in your supernatural society, or were somehow otherwise sequestered away from "normal" life, so you have trouble dealing with this Outside-World thing. Dealing with any community outside the one in which you were raised adds 1 to social difficulties, or reduces your Social pool by one.

equeslilia [4:58 PM]
It's from Mage rulebook.

[4:58]
Sounds like Hymn of One maybe?

Node background is also interesting.

[5:06]
> You have possession of a wellspring of mystical significance. This allows you to refresh quintessence at a much faster rate and to more easily perform magick in its ambience, but protecting it is an incredibly responsibility.

[5:07]
> Quintessence is the raw material of reality. It is what flows through the patterns of reality and what makes magic possible. The primal force, quintessence can not truly be divided, measured or contained.

[5:07]
Reminds me of trait positive blood in lg15 context.

Spheres are funny here as well. They are the way Mage game system describes what kinds of magick character can do. Correspondence is basically teleportation (whats the deal with watchyourjack, can someone educate me?). Entropy 'gives the Mage power over order, chaos, fate and fortune' - rulebook description suggests it would be very useful for hacker character - so it's makes sense. One that stand out for me is Spirit - which is 'mixture of abilities relating to dealings with the spirit world and Umbra' and includes 'returning ghosts to life'.

[5:39]
Having three dots in Spirit is pretty strange for character who is centered around concept of evasive "you can't catch me while I'm messing with your machines" techno(?)-mage.
kellylen
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some research into the character sheet.

I can't find an alias online of Cr@$hdown. However I notice this is a Roswell reference and we received an X-files flashlight. Is there a UFO connection somewhere in this puzzle? I hope LG15 isn't going Sci-fi on us, that would be odd.

Let's start going down the character sheet.

Chronicle.
The chronicle is titled "The Spiral". Does this mean that we are spiraling back down the rabbit hole? Are we spiraling out of control. Why is it titled "The Spiral"

Nature and Demeanor.
Nature is who you are inside yourself while demeanor is what you show to others. This person's Nature is rogue while their demeanor is architect.
Quote:
Rogue: Screw the world! You do what you need to look out for yourself and get done what has to get done. If someone else suffers in the process, that's just too bad. Regain Willpower when your self-centered methods gain you something of significant value.

Architect: You desire to leave a legacy, tangible or intangible. This could be anything from an artistic masterpiece to a successful organization you founded to a new tradition you started.. Regain Willpower when you create something of great importance and/or lasting value.

I'm a little concerned about the nature being rogue, especially the line about if someone suffers it is too bad. Maybe I am just being over protective of Daniel.

Essence.
I'm not sure what essence means about a person, but this person's essence is "Questing" this means...
Quote:
Blowing through a crossroads, the Questing Avatar glides over worn paths and crumbled ruins. A questing soul, he leads a wizard on an endless journey past thickets of greed and snares of doubt. Bearing gifts of balance, calm and vision, this spirit has more focus than the wild Dynamic and more imagination like the rigid Pattern. Like the Primordial, he flows past obstacles, but his works are more temperate and beneficial.

Heralds of a new day, Questing Avatars rarely take solid forms in dreams. Like the winds they resemble, these spirits are formless, relentless and ephemeral. Refreshing as they seem, such souls never rest. Their Mages wander until death ends their journey.

To me this sounds like we may never find out who M is, M may just be a guiding force to us, like a ghost.

Tradition.
Put simply
Quote:
Mages of Virtual Adepts are technological adepts capable of informational wizardry. They are masters of the sphere of Correspondence, magic dealing with three-dimensional location and space, communications.

This makes sense why Cr@$hdown has high computer skills.

However, it should be noted that they also have 4 "stars" in manipulation and intelligence, and 3 "stars" in charisma and wits. I'm concerned about the high manipulation. I've had a few ex boyfriends who meet that criteria and I know they are not to be trusted. Smile Wink

Spheres
Now Cr@$hdown has 4 "stars" in Correspondence.
Quote:
This is what wiki has to say about correspondence: "Deals with spatial relations, giving the Mage power over space and distances. Correspondence magic allows powers such as teleportation, seeing into distant areas, and at higher levels the Mage may also co-locate herself or even stack different spaces within each other. Correspondence can be combined with almost any other sphere to create effects that span distances."

They also have 3 "stars" in Sphere.
Quote:
This sphere is an eclectic mixture of abilities relating to dealings with the spirit world or Umbra. It includes stepping into the Near Umbra right up to traveling through outer space, contacting and controlling spirits, communing with your own or others' avatars, returning a Mage into a sleeper, returning ghosts to life, creating magical fetish items, and so forth. Unlike other Spheres, the difficulty of Spirit magic is often a factor of the Gauntlet, making these spells harder for the most part. The Sphere is referred to as Dimensional Science by the Technocratic Union.

Just some research I did and want to share with ya'll.
wintermute
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Rogue: Screw the world! You do what you need to look out for yourself and get done what has to get done. If someone else suffers in the process, that's just too bad. Regain Willpower when your self-centered methods gain you something of significant value.

Daniel keeps worrying about someone getting hurt. Think this might be confirmation that his concern is not unfounded.

Wish I had time to dig deeper than I have so far. This is getting good.

'mute

'vote 'mute in '16!
equeslilia
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Essence
Quote:
The Avatar (also Daemon, Enlightened Genius) is the portion of an individual's soul which is the source of an Awakened mage's ability to perform magic, and which grants the possibility of Ascension.

Mages experience the Avatar as a separate personality which is connected to the mage's soul, and which drives the mage toward Ascension. It will often speak to the mage, as a "voice in the head" or via dreams. Avatars generally take on a humanoid form of the opposite gender to the mage, though this is not always the case and is highly dependent on the mage's interpretation.

Quote:
Each Avatar has an Essence. These describe the Avatar's nature, as well as the way in which the Avatar seeks Ascension. An Avatar's Essence usually, though not always, complements the mage's own desires and outlook on magic and life.

So basically the Essence is "where the magick part of your soul drives you, what it craves".
Here is another description for Questing Essence:
Quote:
As a sort of balance between other Essences, the Questing Essence seeks knowledge and new frontiers with puse and with a final goal in mind. Not content to rest on foundations already laid, the Questing Avatar pushes to some goal and doesn't flag or change direction. Once a destination is reached, the Questing Avatar sets a new goal and heads off again. Mages with this drive find themselves consumed by the need for a journey, the need to be in motion with a goal to achieve. These Essences seek a union of the other elements, and they strive to find a wholesome balance by treading the roads that lead between other Essences' paths.

Emotionally, Questing Essences are driven and visionary. Such mages often focus on a new idea and pursue it to its conclusion, then settle on a new project. The Avatar ensures this constant progression by keeping the mage interested in the final steps, with a need to know, understand, and experience. In appearance and demeanor, such Avatars most often appear in a form carrying elements similar to a mage's companions or even herself. The Essence leads the mage through the internal dialogue that opens doors of self-discovery, and sends the mage on quests to understand herself and her world.

On other things

If charsheet really IS the way for M. to present herself to us - it's a brave move to say "yeah, I mostly care about myself, but I'm not gonna lie to you about it".

I think Character, Chronicle or Cabal names might be used as passwords in future.
Justincase199620
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cr@$hdown may be M's username here. My post in Dark Delicacies drop gives the link
solostinlost
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justincase199620 wrote:
Cr@$hdown may be M's username here. My post in Dark Delicacies drop gives the link

Just sent a quick PM to that account. We'll see!
Justincase199620
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also sent a PM, no response yet highly doubt he/she will respond, i think he/she is just observing progress on cracking these codes.
giddeanx
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M writes on the post it note that comes with this sheet "She has done me well over the years" so we can assume that Diane(Cr@$hDown) is not -M

Diane is another reference to the American Kids song by Mellencamp. I was curious if M's real name was Jack or maybe actually Mellencamp shortened to just M.

X
MaboshiHotaru
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kellylen wrote:
I did some research into the character sheet.

I can't find an alias online of Cr@$hdown. However I notice this is a Roswell reference and we received an X-files flashlight. Is there a UFO connection somewhere in this puzzle? I hope LG15 isn't going Sci-fi on us, that would be odd.

Well not to go all side tracked on everyone BUT there is a Roswell (the TV show) fansite called crashdown.com

Maybe Cr@$hdown is a fan of Roswell?

Apparently Crashdown is the cafe in the TV series.
http://www.seeing-stars.com/imagepages/CrashdownPhoto1.shtml

I don't know where I am going with this, but maybe a flashlight is another thing from the Roswell TV show? I've never seen the show - so this is probably a goose chase.
kellylen
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaboshiHotaru wrote:

I don't know where I am going with this, but maybe a flashlight is another thing from the Roswell TV show? I've never seen the show - so this is probably a goose chase.

The flashlight was from the X-Files, but another UFO related show.
MaboshiHotaru
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kellylen wrote:
MaboshiHotaru wrote:

The flashlight was from the X-Files, but another UFO related show.

I was more going for the flashlight as an object, I dunno maybe on Roswell they loved flashlights or something? Razz But yeah, the ufo connection, I dunno maybe? The old site of the Crashdown cafe isn't too far from Dark Delicacies. But it's all pretty thin speculation.

Why would they give us an x-file light and not just a normal torch? So many puzzles with no clear answers :/
Gwenmonster
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possible connection guys!
So the Cabal is The Misfits.
THE PROPOSED SPINOFF TAYLOR WAS IN.
could Taylor be M?
Because literally the more I look at the sheet the more it reminds me of Taylor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Clues and Puzzles All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: