Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Beginners Guide to mIRC Chat
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shifty
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: A Beginners Guide to mIRC Chat Reply with quote

First off, mIRC is an application you can run on your computer to connect to IRC chatrooms. This will give you much more versatility and reliability in the chat. Here are the steps to get started:

-Step #1: Download the mIRC client at http://www.mirc.com/get.html
-Step #2: Install mIRC with the default settings.
-Step #3: Follow the directions to setup mIRC found here: http://www.mirc.com/install.html
-Step #4:Go to the Options menu, under the Connect->Servers category and if FreeNode is in the IRC Network dropdown menu, select it and move to the next step. Otherwise, hit the Add button. Input the following information in the corresponding boxes:
Description: FreeNode Main
IRC Server: irc.freenode.net
Port: 6667
Group: FreeNode
And then select FreeNode from the IRC Network dropdown menu.
-Step #5: Go to the Options menu, under the Connect->Options category and hit the Perform button.
-Step #6: Hit the Add button and select Freenode, then click ok. Ensure FreeNode is selected for the Network. Then in the perform commands text area, put "/join #operationaphid"(Ensure the "Enable perform on connect" option is selected).

After signing in with your chosen username, I recommend that you register it. You can do this by typing:
"/ns register yourpasswordhere"

If you get a message saying "That username is already registered," this means someone already has that name and you will have to come up with a new name. You can change your name by typing:
"/nick yournewnamehere"

After registering your username, it is required that you identify yourself each time you sign on. mIRC makes this easy but auto-identifying yourself if you follow this step:
-Step #7: Go back to the perform menu from step 6, and add the following line after the "/join #operationaphid" line: "/ns identify password"

Following these steps will set up the client to automatically join the channel on connecting to freenode and identify you.

Some FAQ's:
Q: How do I do an emote?
A: To emote, simply type: "/me texthere"
Q: How do I join another chat channel?
A: To join another chat channel, type: "/join #chatnamehere"
Q: Why does my username have a number after it?
A: Your username may have a number after it if you are disconnected and rejoin. This is called ghosting. You can remove the ghost by typing: "/ns ghost yourusername yourpassword" then change your username back by typing "/nick username"
Q: How do I change my password?
A: You can change your password by typing: "/ns set password newpassword"

*Note: where "yourpasswordhere" is written, you insert your own desired password.*
Thanks acidfingers for helping with the walkthrough.

[Edit: And the Panda declared the thread a sticky. And the pesants rejoiced.]

Last edited by shifty on Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:56 pm; edited 3 times in total
ladron121
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work shifty!
mourningbelle
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woot!

<3
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Luminous
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: A Beginners Guide to mIRC Chat Reply with quote

-Step #4: Go to the Options menu, under the Connect->Servers category and select FreeNode for the IRC Network.

I'm a newbie, both to ARG's and IRC. It seems I have successfully set up IRC, however FreeNode does not appear as a network option for me. The closest thing I can find is a network called Freequest. ?????????????

Help.
Destrin41016
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and next time when the server crashes there should be an official secondary chat so every one doesnt go 20 different places
Luminous
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Destrin41016 wrote:
and next time when the server crashes there should be an official secondary chat so every one doesnt go 20 different places

Server crashed? Is that why it doesn't show up in the IRC list to add?
shifty
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: A Beginners Guide to mIRC Chat Reply with quote

Luminous wrote:
-Step #4: Go to the Options menu, under the Connect->Servers category and select FreeNode for the IRC Network.

I'm a newbie, both to ARG's and IRC. It seems I have successfully set up IRC, however FreeNode does not appear as a network option for me. The closest thing I can find is a network called Freequest. ?????????????

Help.

Fixed, hope that helps.
Luminous
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: A Beginners Guide to mIRC Chat Reply with quote

shifty wrote:
Luminous wrote:

Help.

Fixed, hope that helps.

Yay! I'm in! Thanks for the help!
Cassie_xx
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it safe for your computer?
No viruses?
alysaface
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cassie_xx wrote:
Is it safe for your computer?
No viruses?

lol.

yes..

http://youtube.com/profile?user=alysaface

stalk me.

You were so much cooler before you got your little PHD in everyone elses problems.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Cabby
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I can only find freequest aswell. what up?
shifty
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cabby wrote:
yeah I can only find freequest aswell. what up?

Refer to step #4:

Hit the Add button. Input the following information in the corresponding boxes:
Description: FreeNode Main
IRC Server: irc.freenode.net
Port: 6667
Group: FreeNode
And then select FreeNode from the IRC Network dropdown menu.

Hope that helps.
acidfingers
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the people not finding FreeNode on their servers dropdown list, the reason why is because the server dropdown list is supposed to basically be a user-managed library of different servers that you can connect to. Since there can be an infinitely large number of servers, it is expected that the users will maintain that list and add that server when they wish to use it. The mIRC program comes bundled with some of the more popular servers already added to the library just for ease of use, but FreeNode wasn't included, so you must manually add it yourself using the steps mentioned by shifty above.

Hope this helps explain the "why" for that part of the instructions Very Happy
Ziola
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

acidfingers wrote:
For the people not finding FreeNode on their servers dropdown list, the reason why is because the server dropdown list is supposed to basically be a user-managed library of different servers that you can connect to. Since there can be an infinitely large number of servers, it is expected that the users will maintain that list and add that server when they wish to use it. The mIRC program comes bundled with some of the more popular servers already added to the library just for ease of use, but FreeNode wasn't included, so you must manually add it yourself using the steps mentioned by shifty above.

Hope this helps explain the "why" for that part of the instructions Very Happy

Could you type slower and use smaller words please? Very Happy
Soulsproximity
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to preform this on Ircle but having no luck, can anyone help or post instructions?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> OpAphid: Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: