Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VA Tech
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kasdeja
Hymn of One

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just can't believe I had heard nothing about this until I got home from work yesterday. What a horrible occurence. I just can't believe nobody mentioned it...I was even on MySpace all day. Not a single bulletin. My heart goes out to the vicitims, their families and the students of VA Tech.

You cannot make another post so soon after your last; please try again in a short while.
Bagged, tagged, sold to the butcher at the store.
longlostposter
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esteed, thank you for your very kind offer, and I feel the same way you do.

Also, I hope you didn't take what I said earlier as an excuse for people who do these kinds of acts; I don't think you did, but I tend to be a little overly-sensitive sometimes too.

Has anyone heard from Loretta today?
Shout outs to my beautiful daughter badkittyx1505, Aithne, and Lurker.
Esteed
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry LLP, I knew you weren't excusing this at all. I get what you're saying and agree, that is probably the thought process that was involved in this guy's attack.
Killthesmiley
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this situation is horrid and terrible.
I've been watching and reading the news and there are so many flaws in what the authorities did and the security at the school.
No locks on the doors, no lock down plan, no immediate emergency contact plan...
everything they said that they did completely floored me. When I was in college we had so much security and plans and things in place to help protect the students if anything like this happened. And thats a college with only 3000 students. VTech had over 9000 on campus! And when I listened to the president and the dean speak about this stuff, and try to answer questions, they had the most bewildered look on their faces.
"What do you mean lock down the school after the first shooting?"
"What do you mean contact the radio staitons to tell the students whats going on? Our email went out 2 hours after the shooting happened. Thats fine enough"
"What do you mean locks on classroom doors?"
It all just seemed so half assed.

On top of that, te sherif spoke at the press conference about how they suspected originally there were two shooters, and that the first one fled. But they weren't looking for that person. Where is the logic in that? On top of that, I listened to the swat team's trainer on CNN saying straight forward the swat team didn't follow the procedures, and they screwed up.

This situation is tragic, and I really think it could have been prevented. I'm sorry if people get offended by what I just said, but knowing some of the security messures that they could have taken, and how easy they are to put into place and how easy they are to use, it floors me to know that none of those measures could even be utilized in the situation, for example locks on the classroom doors (there are no locks on the doors, as said by a student witness). I'm just ... floored at the reaction that the authorities are giving us.

ETA: I haven't seen her on yet today...anyone else speak with her?

YOU: Who does that KTS think she is? Total bitch!

ME: I think I'm you, only better.

~Kelly, KMurr, and Kellylen <3~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PolkadotConfederation
Hymn of One

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you Kelly. I was discussing the whole situation with my friends, and we all agree that measures could have been taken to prevent what happened. And the fact that the other students weren't informed about the situation until TWO HOURS after the first shooting occured is mind boggling to me. Plus the fact that the school administration decided the best way to inform people would be to SEND OUT AN EMAIL? If there were kids in class, how would they be able to check their emails? From what I can tell, most students didn't even know anything was going on...it was just a regular day for them. This whole thing is just horribly sad.

And I haven't seen Loretta around either. That worries me.
martha
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking with my mom about this last night. It would be so hard to coordinate an evacuation plan on a campus with 28,000 students. The school I went to had 25,000 and we didn't have any sort of evacuation plan. We had fire drills at the dorms, but that was it. In one of the main buildings on campus, on a normal day, there would be probably well over 500 people in the building. Just leaving class, or trying to get to class, when everyone is calm, is chaotic. I'm sure it could have been prevented, but you know, hind sight is 20/20. Maybe at least now, schools will start thinking more about situations like this, and what to do.

I'm shocked that a school that large didn't have a campus police.
voyboy
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checking in again.

Loretta - Im off to work - will keep checking in throughout the day.

(big hug from itskassie too) Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Killthesmiley
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*thinkng about loretta*

the victim list has been publish i think. I'll keep it out of the forums for now just out of respect just in case

YOU: Who does that KTS think she is? Total bitch!

ME: I think I'm you, only better.

~Kelly, KMurr, and Kellylen <3~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
longlostposter
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martha, I hate to disagree with you, but I will. From what I understand, there were two separate shooting areas and the incidents at the two different areas were hours apart. WTF?

Why did 9-11 happen? I'll tell you why. Arrogance. George Bush and company thought that no one would dare attack America in such a brazen fashion, and so ignored the voices of the CIA, FBI, and other intelligence agencies. If it wasn't arrogance, it was just plain disregard for the lives of the American people, laziness, or stupidity.

This is a disturbing trend. People who are in charge aren't doing their jobs, and then when something like this happens, they get this befuddled look on their faces. What does it take to make them wake up? I know if something of this magnitude happened on my watch, I'd never be able to get a good night's sleep again.

George Bush is constantly telling us we have to be in Iraq so that the terrorists don't strike us at home, but yet nothing is being done to ensure security at home. The threat of terrorism is put out there as a kind of 'weapon of mass control', as it were, but it's obvious this "terrorist threat" isn't enough to get his Homeland Security people off of their asses to do anything about it; just the same as they couldn't get off of their asses to come and save the lives of the citizens here in my beloved Louisiana.

So now what we have here is a scenario where American lives being lost in Iraq, and here at home as well. But make no mistake, George Bush and company are taking the threat of terrorism so very seriously.; that is why security measures are so very tight everywhere. Rolling Eyes

Ahh, I've gone off on a rant. Please forgive. I've never forgotten New Orleans, nor will I ever. Homeland Security could have saved thousand of lives simply by dropping life preservers on New Orleans.

Anyway, anyone can see that security has become such a priority here, due to the threat of terrorism, that Americans need not worry about being in harm's way.

Excuse me, I have to go puke now.
longlostposter
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Killthesmiley wrote:
*thinkng about loretta*

the victim list has been publish i think. I'll keep it out of the forums for now just out of respect just in case
Kelly, I think that is a wise decision.
kellylen
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad I hope we hear from her soon. I'm worried Sad
martha
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

longlostposter wrote:
Martha, I hate to disagree with you, but I will. From what I understand, there were two separate shooting areas and the incidents at the two different areas were hours apart. WTF?

Umm, I don't understand what you're not agreeing with. Do you think it would be easy to have an evacuation plan? Or the hindsight part? You just didn't explain your disagreement very clearly, I guess. I also don't really see what 9/11 has to do with it either. Confused

All of these school shootings have been preventable, but since it's been middle and high schools, mostly, not colleges, I don't think anyone has really thought that it would happen at a college, thus the hindsight comment. Now that it has (and I dearly wish it hadn't. I still feel just yucky about it) colleges will probably start thinking about these scenarios and what to do.

I think they should have canceled classes after the first shooting, but I'm not sure how they would have communicated that to the students, especially the ones commuting in. It would have been easy to notify the professors and then have the professors leave notes on the doors of the classrooms, that's what my school has done in the past. All schools need to have some sort of system, not just email, to let students know about things like this. Some students don't have access to computers. I still can't believe they don't have campus police there.
longlostposter
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martha, how about police barricades? Wouldn't that have kept students coming in out?

We aren't really communicating here. There is no excuse for what happened, in my book.
PolkadotConfederation
Hymn of One

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kellylen wrote:
Sad I hope we hear from her soon. I'm worried Sad

I'm worried too. Crying or Very sad
martha
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

longlostposter wrote:
Martha, how about police barricades? Wouldn't that have kept students coming in out?

We aren't really communicating here. There is no excuse for what happened, in my book.

\Where would they have put the barricades? Would they have just barricaded the whole campus? That doesn't sound realistic to me. I imagine they thought it was an isolated incident, and that he wasn't going to kill 30 more people.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Off the Cuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: