Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

0061 Proving Longitude Wrong [10/28/06]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SharpI
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Code to be broken? Reply with quote

Okay folks, listen up. Look at this exchange from the "Proving Longitude Wrong" vlog posts:

Quote:
#34 Me Says:
October 28th, 2006 at 9:24 pm

TIME

TIME

TIME

Quote:
#43 Me Says:
October 28th, 2006 at 9:31 pm

TIME?
Pay Attention Folks…..
Sheesh

Quote:
#46 QuickClick Says:
October 28th, 2006 at 9:32 pm

Okay, I get that Daniel is reading Time magazine and I see the clocks (7:10, 7:12) but what does it mean?

Quote:
#48 Me Says:
October 28th, 2006 at 9:33 pm

Thats for Me to know and you to find out…

Good Luck

Nite

Now, you should know that "Me" is under suspicion in the vlogs for posting rah-rah LG15 material - that is, under suspicion of being a Creator or a Creator henchman.

So what does TIME TIME TIME mean? I thought first that it's a phone number - 710-712-TIME - but that turns out to be dead (and unlikely to be a solution, since the 710 area code is the U.S. Government).

I did notice that 710-712 contains the recurrence of the ceremony date ("10-12") but unsure what that gets us... except that Daniel pointing to England in the video may indicate support for "10-12-06" meaning December 10, 2006 (that's how the English would write that date).

I really want to think there's a solution here, where if you solve the puzzle and call the number/find the webpage/locate the geocache/whatever and give them your longitude, you get a LonelyGirl15 t-shirt. Any ideas?
abcdefg
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys.... i've been lurking here for months and i finally have something (possibly) interesting to add.

okay, i don't know if it's really signficant to the plot or not, but about the clocks:

the book she's reading actually tells of one man's quest to make a "clock" which will accurately measure time, and therefore longitude.

from amazon.com:

The scientific establishment of Europe--from Galileo to Sir Issac Newton--had mapped the heavens in both hemispheres in its certain pursuit of a celestial answer. In stark contrast, one man, John Harrison, dared to imagine a mechanical solution--a clock that would keep percise time at sea, something no clock had ever been able to do on land. Longitude is a dramatic human story of an epic scientific quest and Harrison's forty-year obsession with building his perfect timekeeper, known today as the chronometer. Full of heroism and chicanery, it is also a fascinating brief history of astronomy, navigation, and clockmaking, and opens a new window on our world.

here's another interesting review of the book as well (which also mentions the knowing where you are and where you're going bit):
http://www.curledup.com/longitud.htm

so in a way Harrison was really proving science wrong with the invention of his clock (his winning clock is also currently on display at the royal observatory in greenwich).
house
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone checked this week's issue of TIME to see what's on pages 7, and 10-12? Just curious... the table of contents, on the web, looks like alot of religious stuff.

These numbers remind me of the cookie baking/rating vlog. But, we're dealing with the same numbers: 10 and 12. The 7 is the oddity. But, I suppose you'd have to pick some hour (even if it was just random) when you're using clocks. My husband proposed that, if you fall back an hour (as we're supposed to do tonight), the time would actually be 6:10 and 6:12. So, that could tie in the year 06'. Leaving 12-10-06 as the pertinant date. Furthermore, if you use the gestational calender: a child conceived on 12-10-06, the due date would be America's Labor Day. (Don't ask how I know that...just random facts, again)
Morgan
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sfonzarelli wrote:
I really hope the creators haven't decided to listen to the people who whined about how they just want her videos to be nothing but Bree fondling her stuffed animals and gviing reading reccomendations to indie music so they can argue over which stuffed animal they like more and whether or not Bree and Daniel make an adorable couple and have actually 86'd the religious subplot.

SECONDED. lol.

<3 Danielbeast <3
abcdefg
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, has anyone else figured out a way to check if 7:10 and 7:12 (where exactly did we get 7:12 from though?? i missed that...) are latitude and longitude coordinates?

looking at mapquest, 7 degrees, 10 minutes, 0 seconds latitude / 7 degrees, 12 minutes, 0 seconds longitude is smack in the middle of Nigeria.

not quite sure how that's relevant though, so maybe i'm way off here...
minsky
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm Daniel points to England, Clock set to 7:10 Time in London at the moment 7:34 am (how long ago was this vid posted). In the other video Daniel was packing. Could we be looking at a road trip to London to see Gemma?
house
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.billheidrick.com/tlc1990/tlc1190.htm

This site is interesting. I googled "Time 7:10 Thelema" and this was the first hit. It's a calendar/schedule regarding a November Gnostic Mass, in 1990. The time 7:10 represents an astrological chart of some sort:
12/8 ZID (Cool 7:10 to 9:10 PM
This poem/song is also related:
Quote:
THE STARS WILL SHINE
People put too much value on reason
There's more to life than bread alone
The sun must pass through every season
A pinch of salt can season a soul

CHORUS:
There's a time to arise
There's a way to go on
There's an end to the night every dawn
every dawn

People take too much time out from living
They're hiding away from their nightmares and dreams
The moon revolves through infinite phases
Imagination finds a face in the wheel

CHORUS

People fear too much fear in each other
They learn to hate from Dad and Mom The stars will shine maybe forever
Burnt out at last, their light still travels on

If you read further down on this page, you'll see this:
Quote:
One of the Masses at Thelema Lodge was disrupted. A member, who had been instructed to keep away pending resolution of a problem, emerged from behind the veil strangely garbed. He received the cake of light and departed in the same manner. This somewhat soured the experience for many of those attending.

Quote:
deagol
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is getting really interesting, even eerie... to me at least.

Yes, a way to measure longitude is to keep good time!

Wikipedia wrote:
The tragic wrecking of the British fleet led by Sir Cloudesley Shovell led to the British Longitude Act, which created the Longitude Prize for anyone who could devise a practical method of determining longitude at sea. This was eventually achieved by John Harrison with his chronometer;

Ahh, I knew that book cover seemed familiar. Harrison spent 40 years perfecting his clock design before he had one that earned him the prize. But even then, the Board had become so skeptic about anyone winning the 70 year-old prize that it attributed Harrison's success to just luck, and didn't pay him! He waited 2 more years and only the King's intervention got him the money. He died only 3 years later. A very good read.

Here's the eerie part...

A couple of days ago I was researching Gemma, and read about this Gemma Frisius guy. Didn't look like anything interesting until now...

Wikipedia wrote:
[Gemma Frisius] was the first to describe how an accurate clock could be used to determine longitude.

Hmm... Gemma just needs a good clock. Harrisson provides one (only 220 years later!).

But that's not all. This time I read the whole article until the very end. The last thing mentioned is a name that gave me goosebumps: turns out John Dee was Gemma's student!

Is this too much 6-degree stuff? Can't be coincidence.
pcbbc
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: What is Daniel pointing at? Reply with quote

I'm not sure he is pointing at England. The UK is the purple thing to the left and above where he is pointing.
To me it seems he is pointing more towards central France or Switzerland. Switzerland would seem more appropriate, given the clock references.
Also latitude 7 deg 10 min, 7 deg 12 min run through Switzerland - but, as the video is about longitude, that doesn't seem right.

But I've concluded what he is actually pointing at is Bree.... in France Very Happy
deagol
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, LA is usually 8 hours earlier than London.

But not right now... if I post this within 10 minutes.

See, daylight savings ended in London at 2 AM local time today, almost 8 hours ago, but it's still in effect in Los Angeles until 2 AM local time (PDT), still a few minutes away.

So, for the last 8 hours, the time difference has been 7 hours... Maybe they just spent 10-12 minutes thinking about it, thus 7:10.

[edit to fix calculations]

Last edited by deagol on Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
quikstrike98
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't grok the significance of 7:10, but as posted earlier, the invention of an accurate timepiece was (ahem) instrumental in determining longitude during navigation at sea.
deagol
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similarly, New Zeland time is usually 13 hours later than London time.

But not for the last 29 days, it's been only 12 hours difference (convenient as you just swap the AM for PM either way). Since October 1st, 2 am local NZ time NZ started daylight savings, and today at 2 am London ended daylight savings, making it 13 hours more once again. An hour and 10 minutes later, London standard time was 2:10 am when it was 7:10 pm PDT in LA, the time in Bree's clock.

Ok now I just need to untwist my brain.

[edit to fix calculations]

Last edited by deagol on Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
essie
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the story being more upbeat and happy. Yet does anyone think her story she told about longitude seems to be a clue?

2 girls survivors.. ( Bree and Gemma )
man with emerald ring that gets murdered for it ( Daniel? )

I really would hate it with Daniel got killed of the series.

Just my two cents.
lonelygirl
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

essie wrote:
Back to the story being more upbeat and happy. Yet does anyone think her story she told about longitude seems to be a clue?

2 girls survivors.. ( Bree and Gemma )
man with emerald ring that gets murdered for it ( Daniel? )

I really would hate it with Daniel got killed of the series.

Just my two cents.

holy cow, that does seem possible. that might explain the last thing she said about daniel. Surprised
TheFatLady
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deagol wrote:
Ahh, I knew that book cover seemed familiar.

So do you actually have this book? Can you check it to see if the numbers 710 can be applied significantly to it? (e.g. something interesting in tenth sentence of page 7, or whatever.)

Dying to know, and if it weren't 4 a.m. here, I'd go buy the book myself!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> The Videos All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: