Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OT incest discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Off the Cuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sack36
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not particularly prudish about this, but there is a reason why it's taboo in our culture. Pregnancies resulting from such a union reinforce genetic traits that in some cases can be extremely harmful. Thus the Hapsburg dynasty fell because of a genetic trait becoming predominant due to inbreeding.

No individual or pair of individuals should be treated like abominations. In fact the word should be stricken from our language. I'm just saying that anything that portrays inbreeding as anything but a regretable aspect of society should be discouraged.
http://2grandmas.com and http://laying8.com
Proud member of the Him of Won and the Humm of Juan
MayhemII
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sack36 wrote:
I'm not particularly prudish about this, but there is a reason why it's taboo in our culture. Pregnancies resulting from such a union reinforce genetic traits that in some cases can be extremely harmful. Thus the Hapsburg dynasty fell because of a genetic trait becoming predominant due to inbreeding.

No individual or pair of individuals should be treated like abominations. In fact the word should be stricken from our language. I'm just saying that anything that portrays inbreeding as anything but a regretable aspect of society should be discouraged.

I complete coincidence I'm sure but, I Wikipedia'ed' the Hapsburg jaw trait , and discovered one person who suffered from a similar deformity was HP Lovecraft. Shocked
00:19:07] MayhemII: Bree what genre of music is "your song"?

[00:19:33] lonelygirl15: genre? the genre of eternal happiness. hmmmmmmm
Lurker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MayhemII wrote:
Crying or Very sad I loved that show.

Although if I remember correctly, it ended up that Duncan (the supposed half brother) and Veronica were not related, and in result started dating again. So really the whole plot sent mixed signals.

That is quite a mixed signal, and, for me, kind of kills anything positive about what came before. It's like they chickend out or something.

sack36 wrote:

The problem, though, in portraying something as nothing less than a "regrettable aspect of society" is we inevitably encourage "They're different, therefore they're bad" worldviews in the process. What we should be promoting is education, understanding and compassion. Especially in an era where genetic counseling is available.

In any case, it's not as though romance necessarily implies reproduction, or that people have to have their own biological kids in order to be parents, or that the aforementioned genetic counseling isn't present. There's really no reason for the stigma to remain what it is. People just have to be willing to embrace their fellow man. Love and peace, yo.
Spades
Owen's Helper

Location: Cassie is watching, and so is everyone else, she's not that special.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MayhemII wrote:

I complete coincidence I'm sure but, I Wikipedia'ed' the Hapsburg jaw trait , and discovered one person who suffered from a similar deformity was HP Lovecraft. Shocked

Well, he did seem like a pretty strange guy...

I think that if they do not know they were related, it is not so bad.

Accidents happen.

Yes, this is a very disturbing mistake, but no one told either of them anything. Same goes in the real world. How can you know you did something wrong if you do not know it is wrong in the first place?

But that is an area I really do not think the Creator's want to go to, just like Lurker said. That is a really, really dark side of literature that I have yet to see in this show (not to call them evil; it's just a different... writing style, you know?).

The show is PG-13 sometimes, but most of the time they seem to be in a PG atmosphere, where you can die, but no blood will ever be spilled. I'm not saying that the only way to make it better is through ridiculous gory deaths or a lot of swearing or sex, like many other shows do for shock value.

I also do not think the C's got up one morning and decided to start their own little crusade ("With Glenn gone, we can get back to what we wanted to do Miles!" just does not sound right at all).

I highly doubt that there was any kind of incest, whether it be between Brother and Sister, Cousins, or whatever.

Should have just quoted Lurker. But, I need to kill time.

Oh ****, forgot about beer.

And I listened to that song, and it sucked. No offense.
longlostposter
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to go on record here as saying that I don't believe that incestuous relationships can be positive in any way, nor do I think that such relationships should be encouraged or accepted.
Shout outs to my beautiful daughter badkittyx1505, Aithne, and Lurker.
pandababy
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

longlostposter wrote:
I would like to go on record here as saying that I don't believe that incestuous relationships can be positive in any way, nor do I think that such relationships should be encouraged or accepted.

completely agree, and adding to that, i'm sure the creators know that a LOT of people would oppose the idea of incestuous relationships, even unintentional ones ((as it would turn out to be)). So i don't think they'd consider that route.

or at least i hope they don't.
angie_pants
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe they are related in the sense that they both have an important role in the ceremony, which i feel might be the case. i feel like there is a deeper purpose for jonas in the story, besides just helping out bree and daniel.
longlostposter
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

angie_pants wrote:
maybe they are related in the sense that they both have an important role in the ceremony, which i feel might be the case. i feel like there is a deeper purpose for jonas in the story, besides just helping out bree and daniel.

The invitation by Jonas and then the fact that they both had Order connections is just too coincidental to be true. I think it was orchestrated by the Order in some way.
deagol
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In keeping with the title of this thread, I'd like to submit the following evidence into the critically serious discussion at hand:

Last edited by deagol on Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:32 am; edited 1 time in total
longlostposter
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deagol wrote:
In keeping with the title of this thread, I'd like to submit the following evidence into the critically serious discussion at hand:

lol
BrightSilence
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I am trying to say is that it could be handled well. If they are related they will probably freak out at first. But that doesn't mean that it can't happen.

A real life example. Not actually related but a friend of mine fell in love with his stepmothers daughter, as most of you can understand he got a lot of resistance from everyone around him when he decided to sleep with the girl. However, they were really in love and true love is hard to stop.

We are all only human and sometimes things that we do not see as normal are part of us wether we like it or not. I'm sure some brothers and sisters fall for their siblings. Some ignore it as much as they can, very few act on it, but that does not make them aliens to society it's merely a game of chance. It could happen to all of us.
Taig
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

judge, judge, judge....I mean really....Jesus must be the most confused spirit. Apparently everyone here in the LG forum seems to htink they are his father.

Get off it people. Of all the small minded, picky, judgemental, overbearing p[seudo-moralists I have ever seen this group is the worst!!!!!!

Who do you think youo are that you can go about blithley condemning love between anyone. Anyone with the intellectual prowess to peel a boiled egg can fall legitamately in love. Yeah sure, there are a lot of dummies out there making bad choices and a lot of evil people taking advantage of the kinder gentler ones.

But who - or what for that matter - a person loves is none of your business. Thank God this is just an Internet tv show and this forum is not much more than a "padded room"

Thank God the situation is not real and you people are not on the streets beating morality in into society. The scary thing is that a) it is all make-believe and b) there's no plot liine to confiirm or deny the "love story".

Jerry Falwell keeled over ok? and Billy Graham is on his way. The rest of those "bible thumpers" are either in jail, dead or lying low in the carribean spending the parishoners cash.

"Lighten up Francis"

and BTW...you brought it up not me. I'm just trying to put the seat down because it sure stinks in here now.

To tell the truth I'm a little surprised at a few of you. The rest, I guess are just enjoying one more opportunity to hide safely in the dark corners of the internet bashing people and ideas you either can't or won't understand.

Enjoy yourselves.
BrightSilence
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Initiating a dialog is the first step in breaking taboo's that are present in our society. Sounds a bit aphid to me, aknowledge their position and help initiate a dialog.

However there is some truth there. Follow that rule and you respect people while listening to their opinion. I do not agree with your point on stopping this argument, I think since it's clear that some people think things like this are 100% not done, we should have a conversation about it. We should state that you can not judge people on this.

Like the gay thing, as long as you keep things silent there won't be any progress in the acceptance of people that are so called 'different'. I don't know the situation as of now, but I know it has taken most people in America a long time to accept the fact that some people are gay.

The same goes for love between siblings, there could be a better understanding for this aswell. I'm not saying you should promote this, nor am I saying that reproduction should be allowed just like that. (there are humanitary reasons why this should not be allowed, although a good debate about this can't hurt) I'm just saying that if people really love eachother, they should be allowed to be together.
pandababy
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taig wrote:
judge, judge, judge....I mean really....Jesus must be the most confused spirit. Apparently everyone here in the LG forum seems to htink they are his father.

Get off it people. Of all the small minded, picky, judgemental, overbearing p[seudo-moralists I have ever seen this group is the worst!!!!!!

Who do you think youo are that you can go about blithley condemning love between anyone. Anyone with the intellectual prowess to peel a boiled egg can fall legitamately in love. Yeah sure, there are a lot of dummies out there making bad choices and a lot of evil people taking advantage of the kinder gentler ones.

But who - or what for that matter - a person loves is none of your business. Thank God this is just an Internet tv show and this forum is not much more than a "padded room"

Thank God the situation is not real and you people are not on the streets beating morality in into society. The scary thing is that a) it is all make-believe and b) there's no plot liine to confiirm or deny the "love story".

Jerry Falwell keeled over ok? and Billy Graham is on his way. The rest of those "bible thumpers" are either in jail, dead or lying low in the carribean spending the parishoners cash.

"Lighten up Francis"

and BTW...you brought it up not me. I'm just trying to put the seat down because it sure stinks in here now.

To tell the truth I'm a little surprised at a few of you. The rest, I guess are just enjoying one more opportunity to hide safely in the dark corners of the internet bashing people and ideas you either can't or won't understand.

Enjoy yourselves.

i can't speak for everyone on the forums, but speaking for myself, i'm one of those "bible thumpers" as you call them. How can you tell us not to judge people, when that post makes it seem like you're judging all the Christians.

judging people because of their preferences is wrong. it makes them no less of a human being, on that, i'll agree with you. But I am stating my opinion and my belief when i say that incestuous relationships are wrong. why should i close my mouth, when you have the right to say what you think? it works both ways here. i mean, the point of a forum is to have a discussion.

i'm not judging anyone, i just believe it's wrong.
Lurker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see this easily going to Shitsville from here, so perhaps a step in the right direction would be an explanation of what you mean when you say you think it shouldn't be accepted. Perhaps what you mean isn't as potent as what the word would imply?

Last edited by Lurker on Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Off the Cuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: