Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who Is Isaac Gilman?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Clues and Puzzles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Libra
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

milowent wrote:

22 looks right....

POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT

this is from the variety.com article lg15today linked to last night:

"Show's new character, who will make his first appearance Monday and appear in episodes over the next two months, had already been conceived by the show's creators, Miles Beckett and Greg Goodfried, as a 22-year-old scientist who helps the series' lead characters create a serum in order to thwart an evil org known as the Order."

Thank you for that Milowent. I'm having a hard time seeing "22 year old" and "scientist" in the same sentence. In my area, nobody will hire you as a "Scientist" unless you have a Ph.D. or MANY years of experience. Maybe things are different in the magical land of California. I know not everything in the show is realistic, but this really hit a sour note with me.

Sorry to be off topic. Are we sure that YouTube channel is real though? A fan could have seen the article and made it.
flychiqk
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Libra:

Is that really a canon Isaac Gilman?

Says his age is 22. If the real character is only 22 years old I'll be pretty angry. You cannot be a scientist at 22 years of age. Trust me, I'm 22, have a B.S. in Biology and nobody will hire me as even a Research Technician without a higher degree or YEARS of experience!!!!

It is more than possible. I know several people wo are 26 and already have their Phd. In this day and age people who have a good instinct in science are graduating early or taking the GED and moving on to college at the ages of 15/16 ect.

Maybe you should get a grant and do some research for a while. I did several research projects during my undergrad program....it is very helpful and it counts towards your lab experience. Or, depending on you exact discpline in biology, you could intern for a company. But your best bet is to get your masters. lol.
impulse
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Libra wrote:
I'm having a hard time seeing "22 year old" and "scientist" in the same sentence. In my area, nobody will hire you as a "Scientist" unless you have a Ph.D. or MANY years of experience. Maybe things are different in the magical land of California.

No, it's not.

Libra wrote:
I know not everything in the show is realistic, but this really hit a sour note with me.

I wouldn't say that it hits a sour note, but it does bother me. it's not that difficult to make it realistic, come one Creators!!!

Libra wrote:
Sorry to be off topic. Are we sure that YouTube channel is real though? A fan could have seen the article and made it.

I'm sure a fan did it. What scientist would introduce himself with "I'm a super secret scientist"? Oh wait, a 22 year old scientist might! d'oh!

Last edited by impulse on Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Inigo
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand how neutrogena has anything to do with this.

Just another corporative marketing ploy to make money. ugh.
Libra
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Impulse, it's nice to know that I'm not the only one bothered by it. I'm always afraid I'm going to post something and people are going to be all like "What is wrong with you!" Laughing

I assume that if it is fan created, the Creators will eventually take control of it? Unless this character wasn't meant to Vlog. I wonder how we will be introduced to him.

And yes Inigo, it was announced in an online article that it is a type of product placement I guess. They said that they had a good positive response about the product placement earlier this year that they went ahead with this one from Nuetrogena. If you read the article (posted in the LG15 in the Press section of the forum) you'll see that it's a 2 month deal!
flychiqk
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Libra:

I assume that if it is fan created, the Creators will eventually take control of it? Unless this character wasn't meant to Vlog. I wonder how we will be introduced to him.

Yes, the whole youtube thing is totally weird. I would assume that the character would have made an account much earlier than last night if he was going to vlog.

Hopefully the will introduce us to him soon.
hockeygurl
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess if our choice is between an older regular scientist or a younger, brilliant (think Doogie Howser) supersecretscientist...

I mean, suspension of reality isn't a difficult thing for most of us at this point, is it?

But hey, it COULD be true in the real world. Of course, it being supersecret, we'll never know for sure. Wink

Yep, that's Taylor of course! Very Happy
kellylen
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont know. the whole serum to thwart the order thing just seems comical to me :s
cbizzle44
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if I were a super secret scientist, i would DEFINATELY put it on my youtube profile.
no question.

but i tried to find something on how neutrogena is working on anti-aging. all i found was jennifer garner and "vitamin A is really good for your skin!"... so not much at all.
here's what i'm thinking- our super secret scientist was working as something not that important at the wyman foundation, but learned a lot (because really, 22?). so then he went to neutrogena and said "i know all this stuff about anti-aging. hire me!"
plausible? perhaps......

oh, it's what you do to me

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=clarazzle44- in a youtubian world
kellylen
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbizzle44 wrote:
if I were a super secret scientist, i would DEFINATELY put it on my youtube profile.
no question.

but i tried to find something on how neutrogena is working on anti-aging. all i found was jennifer garner and "vitamin A is really good for your skin!"... so not much at all.
here's what i'm thinking- our super secret scientist was working as something not that important at the wyman foundation, but learned a lot (because really, 22?). so then he went to neutrogena and said "i know all this stuff about anti-aging. hire me!"
plausible? perhaps......

i thought maybe they were going to find a cure for acne.

and trust me. if i was a super secret scientist i would put it in my yt too
garnet
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is Isaac Gilman?
The new Doogie Howser.
sack36
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why it's so hard to think 22 for scientist. One of my nephews was hired as a programmer for Nortons at age 16; and another at 18. My father was accepted at Notre Dame at 15. My uncle got his PHD in physics at 25 and none of these were considered particularly astounding phenomena in my family. 22 is a bit young for research scientist, but not overly so, and they'd want him young enough to fit well with the group.
http://2grandmas.com and http://laying8.com
Proud member of the Him of Won and the Humm of Juan
Libra
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sack36 wrote:
I don't know why it's so hard to think 22 for scientist. One of my nephews was hired as a programmer for Nortons at age 16; and another at 18. My father was accepted at Notre Dame at 15. My uncle got his PHD in physics at 25 and none of these were considered particularly astounding phenomena in my family. 22 is a bit young for research scientist, but not overly so, and they'd want him young enough to fit well with the group.

It's hard because I am 22. And I did research. I've tried to apply for jobs in research, and the people hiring want YEARS of experience, not someone young who will "fit in well with the group".

At least in biology, Research Scientists are people with Ph.D's and years of experience. You can't have that by 22.

I've heard of programmers being hired young. But not scientists.
impulse
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Libra wrote:
Research Scientists are people with Ph.D's and years of experience. You can't have that by 22.

I concur.
hockeygurl
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbizzle44 wrote:
no question.

lol!

Yep, that's Taylor of course! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Clues and Puzzles All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: