Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TCC, Epogen and....thyroids???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Clues and Puzzles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Killthesmiley
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: TCC, Epogen and....thyroids??? Reply with quote

Yea so i'm uber bored thismorning, so i went on some researching binge and decided to apply it to my lonelyboredom.

What I have discovered is this:

tricarboxylate carrier, better known as TCC ...
Quote:
is an integral protein of the mitochondrial inner membrane.

WHAT???

Alright, so what that means is that it is one of the many building blocks involved in the structure of a mitochondrion.

Mitochondria (plural...) is esentially a cell's power plant. It generates the chemicaal energy needed by the cell to function.

Quote:
The inner mitochondrial membrane contains proteins with four types of functions: [2]

1. Those that carry out the oxidation reactions of the respiratory chain.
2. ATP synthase, which makes ATP in the matrix.
3. Specific transport proteins that regulate the passage of metabolites into and out of the matrix.
4. Protein import machinery.

WHAT!!!????!!!!

It's imports and exports things.

alright...so that is veering off topic. but I thought a nice bio lesson would be nice.

Ooook ... Next I will talk about the Thyroid.

Quote:
The thyroid is one of the largest endocrine glands in the body. This gland is found in the neck just below the Adam's apple. The thyroid controls how quickly the body burns energy, makes proteins, and how sensitive the body should be to other hormones.

I would like to move on to two issues thyroids often have. Hyperthyroidism, and Hypothyroidism.

Hyper:

in the basic terms without a bunch of balo-hy:

Quote:
Hyperthyroidism is the result of excess thyroid hormone production, causing an overactive metabolism and increased speed of all the body's processes.

Hypo:
Quote:
Hypothyroidism is the disease state in humans and animals caused by insufficient production of thyroid hormone by the thyroid gland

TCC Connection:

Quote:
The tricarboxylate carrier (TCC), also known as citrate carrier, is an integral protein of the mitochondrial inner membrane. It is an essential component of the shuttle system by which mitochondrial acetyl-CoA, primer for both fatty acid and cholesterol synthesis, is transported into the cytosol, where lipogenesis occurs. The effect of hypothyroidism on the activity and expression of the hepatic mitochondrial TCC was investigated in this study. TCC activity was significantly decreased in hypothyroid rats as compared with euthyroid animals. This hormone deficiency effect was due to a reduction in the amount of carrier protein, which resulted from a proportionate decrease of the specific mRNA. Hypothyroidism did not influence TCC mRNA stability. On the other hand, nuclear run-on assay revealed that the transcriptional rate of TCC mRNA decreased by ~40% in the nuclei from hypothyroid versus euthyroid rats. In addition, the ribonuclease protection assay showed that, in the nuclei of hypothyroid rats, the ratio of mature to precursor RNA decreased, indicating that the splicing of TCC RNA is affected. Furthermore, we found that the ratio of polyadenylated/unpolyadenylated TCC RNA as well as the length of the TCC RNA poly(A) tail were similar in both euthyroid and hypothyroid rats. Thus, the rate of formation of the TCC 3'-end is not altered in hypothyroidism. These results suggest that hypothyroidism affects TCC expression at both the transcriptional and post-transcriptional levels.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this, in basic every day terms means that the TCC could not carry the energy from the mitochondrion to the cell nuclious (i think if i remember things right) like it is supposed to if the case is Hypothyroidism.

Soooo where does Epogen come into this...
( i just almost lost this all...ugh stupid computer...)

Quote:
Rheumatoid-collagen disease, chronic liver disease, and hypothyroidism are common culprits in anemia of chronic disease, as are chronic infection and cancer.

Quote:
Epoetin alfa is used to treat anemia

Is it possible that our beloved bree positive traits are Anemia and an under-active Thyroid?

ETA:

Hyperthyroidism is essential the complete opposite

Now if i'm understanding correcting Hyperthyroidism has the same connection, however in the TCC case, it either produces more TCC, or the TCC protien becomexs over active as well and carries too much energy to the cell.
And Epogen is also a known treatment to Hyperthyroidism, except (from what I've read) it doesn't have the same connection to Anemia.

ETAA: So if that is right, in turn the cell becomes overactive itself. Possibly causing it to reproduce faster?

YOU: Who does that KTS think she is? Total bitch!

ME: I think I'm you, only better.

~Kelly, KMurr, and Kellylen <3~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
marlasinger
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. Like I say. An under active Thyroid is usually detectable by a weight issue:

wiki wrote:

Adults
In adults, hypothyroidism is associated with the following symptoms:[4]
[edit]Early symptoms
[7]
Poor muscle tone (muscle hypotonia)
Fatigue (physical)
Cold intolerance, increased sensitivity to cold
Constipation
Weight gain
Depression (especially in the elderly)
Muscle cramps and joint pain
Thin, Brittle fingernails
Thin, brittle hair
Paleness

[edit]Late symptoms
[7]
Slowed speech and a hoarse, breaking voice. Deepening of the voice can also be noticed.
Dry puffy skin, especially on the face
Thinning of the outer third of the eyebrows
Abnormal menstrual cycles (Specifically Menorrhagia)
[edit]Less common symptoms
Heat intolerance, increased sensitivity to heat
Impaired memory
Impaired cognitive function (brain fog) and inattentiveness
Urticaria (hives)
Migraine headache
A slow heart rate with ECG changes including low voltage signals. Diminished cardiac output and decreased contractility.
Reactive(or post-prandial) hypoglycemia[8]
Pericardial effusions may occur.
Sluggish reflexes
hair loss
Anemia caused by impaired hemoglobin synthesis (decreased EPO levels), impaired intestinal iron and folate absorption or B12 deficiency from pernicious anemia
anxiety/panic attacks
difficulty swallowing
Shortness of breath with a shallow and slow respiratory pattern.
Impaired ventilatory responses to hypercapnia and hypoxia.
Increased need for sleep
Osteopenia or Osteoporosis
Irritability and mood instability
Yellowing of the skin due to impaired conversion of beta-carotene to vitamin A
Impaired renal function with decreased GFR.
Thin, fragile or absent cuticles
Elevated serum cholesterol
Acute psychosis (myxedema madness) is a rare presentation of hypothyroidism
Decreased libido
Decreased sense of taste and smell (late, less common symptoms)
Puffy face, hands and feet (late, less common symptoms)

As for anemia, it's a low blood count. Much of the same symptoms are apparent. I've been anemic for most of my life. It's not serious, and I treat it with a LOT of iron in my diet.

wiki wrote:

Signs and symptoms

Anemia goes undetected in many people, and symptoms can be vague. Most commonly, people with anemia report a feeling of weakness or fatigue, general malaise and sometimes a poor concentration. People with more severe anemia often report dyspnea (shortness of breath) on exertion. Very severe anemia prompts the body to compensate by increasing cardiac output, leading to palpitations and sweatiness, and to heart failure.
Pallor (pale skin, mucosal linings and nail beds) is often a useful diagnostic sign in moderate or severe anemia, but it is not always apparent. Other useful signs are cheilosis and koilonychia.

I'm going to have to admit something here: I don't think we can figure this out just yet. At all. I think, personally, that what Bree's got is going to have to be fictitious in the end, for a multitude of reasons.

Good research though! TCC is a fucking mystery to me.

By the way, I totally just read "midichlorian" instead of "mitochondrion" AGAIN. that's like the fourth time now.

The Bree Solution.
http://one.revver.com/watch/330795

"Also... im in ur canons... supporting all ur marlas."
-AutoPilate
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JustAnotherLonelyGirl.
P. Monkey's Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an overactive thyroid, so what does that mean?

I agree with Marla, that this will be a jurassic park type thing where it's possibly legit kinda but not exactly real or something.
nowherepixie
Owen's Helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*head explodes*

I think I got that, but I'm going to just go over it again...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
galatea024
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have graves disease - which is an overactive thyroid condition and then the doctors have to make it underactive - and it stinks... so I am well informed on thyroid matters... (although my disease is also an autoimmune disorder) so i was originally with a hyperthyroid condition and now it has hypothyroid tendencies... the only thing about this not linking into bree is that she is SO skinny (like really really thin) so if she had a hypothyroid condition she would NOT be as thin as she is (like, next to impossible...) I can ask my doctor about TCC... is there a link to that study?
staticmorning
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

galatea024 wrote:
I have graves disease - which is an overactive thyroid condition and then the doctors have to make it underactive - and it stinks... so I am well informed on thyroid matters... (although my disease is also an autoimmune disorder) so i was originally with a hyperthyroid condition and now it has hypothyroid tendencies... the only thing about this not linking into bree is that she is SO skinny (like really really thin) so if she had a hypothyroid condition she would NOT be as thin as she is (like, next to impossible...) I can ask my doctor about TCC... is there a link to that study?

I have grave's disease as well, and, although im not too familiar with the causes and stuff (my mom has tried to explain it, but i dont understand a word) when i was younger, before i was put on meds for my thyroid, i was the skinniest little thing. could not gain a pound to save my life. so, bree COULD be as tiny as she is if that were the case..
but now that i reread that, im not sure if thats what you were implying..?

Offical Vice President of the Spencer Gilman fanclub!
galatea024
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFTER treatment for Graves you gain weight - but graves is a hyperthyroid condition - not hypo - the tcc article was linked to hypothryoid - an underactive thyroid... so she would be heavier. Graves before treatment is the opposite - you are SKINNY no matter what you eat!

so... it sounds confusing - i hope it makes more sense! Are you in remission?
staticmorning
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

galatea024 wrote:
AFTER treatment for Graves you gain weight - but graves is a hyperthyroid condition - not hypo - the tcc article was linked to hypothryoid - an underactive thyroid... so she would be heavier. Graves before treatment is the opposite - you are SKINNY no matter what you eat!

so... it sounds confusing - i hope it makes more sense! Are you in remission?

yea. i just thought you were sayting that IF bree had it, she WOULDNT be skinny. thats all. guess i just cant read very well.

and i still have the 3478234 blood tests to check stuff all the time (which tends to be troublesome, since im extremely afraid of needles), but no more meds! Very Happy

but thanks for the explination! haha.

galatea024
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yay for you - sorry it was confusing! I know the feeling of the tests... but mine just won't go away... (p.s. spencer gilman is so wonderful!)
staticmorning
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe spencer can help you out!!

well.. itd make going to the doctors a bit more enjoyable if he were there at least..

sooo.. tcc? anyone? (it sounds like im trying to sell drugs..)

TOSG
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to be a funspoiler, but if you google pretty much any two "sciencey" words together, you'll get some matches, because the body of published scientific research is HUGE.

That doesn't mean that the connection is significant, much less significant to the LG15 story line.
stevemedigod
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marlasinger wrote:

I'm going to have to admit something here: I don't think we can figure this out just yet. At all. I think, personally, that what Bree's got is going to have to be fictitious in the end, for a multitude of reasons.

I'll second this, and what TOSG said. For example, there is a virtually infinite number of different organic compounds, so an acronym like TCC can be too many different things to make a solid guess without more info...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Clues and Puzzles All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: