Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[clue] trait positive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Clues and Puzzles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thoughtssopoetic
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: [clue] trait positive Reply with quote

I think I may have something figured out about those shots that Bree's dad gave her. The problem is, I am not too sure if everything matches up correctly. If this actually is correct I wouldn’t be surprised if one of you crazy geniuses on the forum has already figured this out, but I am going to post it anyway.

I don’t remember when or how I decided this, but I had this hunch that it might somehow be related to metabolism. I don’t remember what brought that on, but I know something did. Just keep that in mind.

Daniel said it was Bree’s high ribozyme count that made her trait positive, so I tried to find more on ribozymes. This is what I got:

1. They are also called RNA enzymes. An enzyme is a biochemical catalyst. A catalyst is something that pushes a chemical reaction by lowering something called the activation energy. The activation energy is energy that has to be over come for the reaction to occur, catalysts lessen the amount of it.

2. All enzymes are proteins. Enzymes are not used up when they catalyze a reaction – basically, they reuse themselves.

3. I then remembered that ribozymes are not enzymes because they are not proteins.

4. Ribozymes are fairly rare in a cell, but they are extremely important.

5. In Ribosomes, which are an organelle in the cell that translates RNA into protein the active part of the organelle is basically a ribozyme

6. Because ribozymes speed up reactions a high count of ribozymes means Bree probably has a lot of protein in her system

7. As well as a lot of protein, nucleotides are also most likely abundant. Nucleotides are the structural units if RNA and DNA.

8. Both nucleotides and protein are extremely important in the metabolism process.

9. Metabolism takes monomers (the single form, for example one lego piece) of a molecule and through the anabolism process (which is one of the two types of metabolism that happen in our bodies) creates polymers (to go along with the lego analogy, a structure made of all the little pieces).

10. The other type of metabolism is catabolism. Unlike anabolism, which uses energy to construct things, catabolism breaks down food and creates energy to be used in the anabolic process.

Basically because of Bree’s high ribozyme count I think her metabolism is also very high. Her metabolism being high is important because it might be possible that her dad was trying to inject her with something to slow down her metabolism, as to lower protein amounts and put things like all of her extra ribozymes in a state where they are not in use. Also, there are things called inhibiters which decrease enzyme and ribozyme activity, a lot of drugs and poisons are inhibitors.

I don’t know if any of this will reall help, I hope it does. I may sound like a complete moron, and if I do, I am really sorry. I thought I would share anyway.

[edit to clear things up a bit]

They want her because she is trait positive, and i think that her being trait positive connects to her metabolism and maybe that is what her dad was trying to do with those shots.
I am not saying metabolism is why they want her, I am saying that might be how her dad was trying to make her trait negative.

Sorry, I wasn't really clear enough.

Also, those drawings in the notebook from Bree's dad, I think they were nucleotides. From what I saw and form the letters I could make out that is what they looked like.

I don't know, I might totally be crazy.
--
I'm mad at David Yates and Michael Goldenberg. That was NOT how Sirius died.

Last edited by thoughtssopoetic on Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
SivartAlappes
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well... ok, that all sounds good and all, but why would the Hymn of One want someone with high metabolism to be their spokesperson? Unless the ceremony is having her EAT the peverbial sacrificial lamb!
thoughtssopoetic
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They want her because she is trait positive, and i think that her being trait positive connects to her metabolism and maybe that is what her dad was trying to do with those shots.
I am not saying metabolism is why they want her, I am saying that might be how her dad was trying to make her trait negative.

Sorry, I wasn't really clear enough.

Also, those drawings in the notebook from Bree's dad, I think they were nucleotides. From what I saw and form the letters I could make out that is what they looked like.

--
SivartAlappes
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thoughtssopoetic wrote:

As you can see, I've been way from the boards for MONTHS. I've only had the posted vids to go by. Where can I see the "notebook" from Bree's dad?
thoughtssopoetic
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SivartAlappes wrote:
thoughtssopoetic wrote:

As you can see, I've been way from the boards for MONTHS. I've only had the posted vids to go by. Where can I see the "notebook" from Bree's dad?

In the video "Opening the Box"
--
TOSG
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: [clue] trait positive Reply with quote

thoughtssopoetic wrote:

1. They are also called RNA enzymes. An enzyme is a biochemical catalyst. A catalyst is something that pushes a chemical reaction by lowering something called the activation energy. The activation energy is energy that has to be over come for the reaction to occur, catalysts lessen the amount of it.

Yep.

Quote:

2. All enzymes are proteins. Enzymes are not used up when they catalyze a reaction – basically, they reuse themselves.

3. I then remembered that ribozymes are not enzymes because they are not proteins.

Ribozymes are more or less enzymes. They are both macromolecular catalysts. I'm sure that there are some scientists who use the term "enzyme" to mean only protein catalysts, but I would say that ribozymes ARE enzymes.

Quote:

4. Ribozymes are fairly rare in a cell, but they are extremely important.

Definitely important, but not so rare. Ribosomes (a type of ribozyme) alone make up ~1-2% of the average cell's weight, if I recall correctly.

Quote:

5. In Ribosomes, which are an organelle in the cell that translates RNA into protein the active part of the organelle is basically a ribozyme

Yep. Ribosomes are made up of both RNA and protein, but most of the catalytic activity is done at sites where only RNA is present.

Quote:

6. Because ribozymes speed up reactions a high count of ribozymes means Bree probably has a lot of protein in her system

Not necessarily. I'd see the connection if her ribosome levels are high, but not all ribozymes are ribosomes.

Quote:

7. As well as a lot of protein, nucleotides are also most likely abundant. Nucleotides are the structural units if RNA and DNA.

Yep, probably so. You'd need lots of RNA nucleotides to make up the ribozymes, at least.

Quote:

8. Both nucleotides and protein are extremely important in the metabolism process.

Kinda. Nearly all metabolic enzymes are protein. Sure, you need nucleotides to code for that protein, but they're not really playing a direct role.

Quote:

9. Metabolism takes monomers (the single form, for example one lego piece) of a molecule and through the anabolism process (which is one of the two types of metabolism that happen in our bodies) creates polymers (to go along with the lego analogy, a structure made of all the little pieces).

10. The other type of metabolism is catabolism. Unlike anabolism, which uses energy to construct things, catabolism breaks down food and creates energy to be used in the anabolic process.

Yep, pretty much. Not all anabolism involves polymerization, but you have the right idea down.

Quote:

Basically because of Bree’s high ribozyme count I think her metabolism is also very high. Her metabolism being high is important because it might be possible that her dad was trying to inject her with something to slow down her metabolism, as to lower protein amounts and put things like all of her extra ribozymes in a state where they are not in use. Also, there are things called inhibiters which decrease enzyme and ribozyme activity, a lot of drugs and poisons are inhibitors.

I'm not sure. There are possible connections, but nothing as clear-cut as you suggested. Metabolism is incredibly interconnected and complex - it's not really so simple as having a "high" or "low" metabolism. Maybe a specific reaction or pathway would be up/downregulated, though.

You're right that most drugs are inhibitors, but epogen isn't - it's a natural hormone that signals for the production of red blood cells.

Quote:

I don’t know if any of this will reall help, I hope it does. I may sound like a complete moron, and if I do, I am really sorry. I thought I would share anyway.

Lots of good thoughts in there! I don't want to give the impression that I'm tearing your post apart or anything - it's interesting stuff.
thoughtssopoetic
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOSG,
First off, your intelligence baffles me.

Don't worry, it didn't seem like you were tearing it apart at all. I am glad you did do that, I was working mostly off of memory and fairly old biology books that my dad still has from college.

I wasn't too sure, as I was putting it all together I figured that there were probably some holes and problems with it, but I figured I might as well put it up anyway.
--
SivartAlappes
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, I went back and re-watched "Opening the Box" as I never really paid close enough attention to the pages of the notebook (until now, I forgot it even existed).

We need to convince the gang to scan and load the pages of the notebook, as well as the original graphs, and the full letter from Bree's dad.

I can't get a clear enough shot of either the first page of the notebook, or the page with molecular figures. However, on the page with molecular figures, the line at the top of the page says "have it in everyone"... And making the molecules as clear as I can (by pausing the video at JUST the right spots) I noticed that they're pretty much the same molecules, but with different oxydizations.... And I think that first page could be VERY useful.
thoughtssopoetic
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SivartAlappes wrote:
ok, I went back and re-watched "Opening the Box" as I never really paid close enough attention to the pages of the notebook (until now, I forgot it even existed).

We need to convince the gang to scan and load the pages of the notebook, as well as the original graphs, and the full letter from Bree's dad.

I can't get a clear enough shot of either the first page of the notebook, or the page with molecular figures. However, on the page with molecular figures, the line at the top of the page says "have it in everyone"... And making the molecules as clear as I can (by pausing the video at JUST the right spots) I noticed that they're pretty much the same molecules, but with different oxydizations.... And I think that first page could be VERY useful.

Yea, i was having trouble making out what everything was, it sounds like you managed to pause at better times than I did.

I know, I also think they could be really helpful. There is also that part of the letter that they haven't told us about.
--
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Clues and Puzzles All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: