Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Document & Continuity Probs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeZRed
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject: The Document & Continuity Probs Reply with quote

I know that most of my comments in the forum, so far, slant towards the negative, and I really want something to happen that I can make a positive post about... but, until such a thing happens, this is all I got.

I've seen a lot of posts/replies telling "negative people," each in their own special way, "shut up or get out." With those posters in mind, let me say: save your meta-breath. I'm still here, I'm still watching, and I'm not going anywhere any time soon. Nor will I shut up, especially about things as glaring as this.

--

So Spencer posted a scan of the "important document" at IMPORTANT DOCUMENT - PLEASE HELP!!!...

Has anybody else looked at it? I really am trying to suspend my disbelief here, I really am. But OMFG. Look at the paper - first off, re-watch the first 10-20 seconds of The Bree Solution. Notice anything about the papers in Taylor's hand ?

Anything at all... like, maybe, the fact that they're nice and flat. Or how 'bout the fact that there's several of them - if they're trying to figure out what all those papers said, why only post the one?

Now look at the document again. It's been crumpled all to hell. Why would Spence have crumpled the <expletive deleted> out of it before scanning it?

It's either from a printer or a typewriter, obviously. We can rule out a typewriter because the font is not monospaced and typewriters are always monospaced. So it's a printer, which means either old-school dot matrix, deskjet/inkjet, or laser. There's no perforations from where the "tracks" were removed from the sides of the page, so it probably wasn't a dot-matrix.

Also, Spencer's dad disappeared 6mos 11days ago. So either the pages were printed at least that long ago, or they were printed recently from soft files. Absolute minimum, they were printed a few hours before Sarah dropped them in the water.

Do you know what happens when you print something, on any kind of printer, even the old-school dot matrix, and then immediately put it in the water?

Exactly. Not one gOD-<expletive deleted> thing.

This water-damage thing was feasible when I thought they were handwritten notes, pen or pencil. And handwritten notes would have gone along with Spencer's I'm here to help video, in which he said that he was very familiar with his father's handwriting, and might be able to recognize things that the others couldn't.

My guess is that a Creator has been reading all the negative comments (not just mine) recently, and tried as hard as they could to immediately engage people again by giving them a puzzle - the thing was posted 11 hours ago and there's already 14 pages of responses.

The thing I hate the most in movies/stories, even more so than plot holes or things left hanging, is continuity probs. The Creators made this <explitive deleted> up, shouldn't they be more familiar with the details then someone like me, who watched the videos once ?
iamcool
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha i found that kind of odd too, i agree with everything you say and they should be more careful (like the name and date on the computer lol) but they are only human and make mistakes (admitedly a LOT!! Razz )

i dont think it matters much really, and if you going to moan then SHUT UP OR GO AWAY!!! ..... Wink Razz
haha j/k Razz

My lawyers told me to edit the content of this signature so i didn't get sued

Me and Oobles are 'TWAT's - 'The Worldwide Association of Threadjacking' Smile
Theonlyavalon
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so glad I came and read this because I was just about to put up a post about the same thing! I've been wondering about this "water damage" stuff and had the exact same thoughts as you - possible if hand written, but not if printed. Plus the papers were in that water for what? 10 seconds? I don't think that much damage would be done.

I hate continuity errors too because it just breaks the spell of the story and brings you back to real life.

Here's hoping things get better. Bring Bree back! Even crazy Bree was more fun than mopey Jonas and moany Sarah.
consideration
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of all the problems, this one is rather minuscule. I can understand the annoyance at continuity problems, but with so much else going wrong, I'm just going to let this slide.

Plus, did you see how long it took for the LonelyCrackheads to solve the document? Two hours max, less than a hour min. I think that's a pretty good example of how we're dying for something over here.
milowent
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikezred - great post. loved your analysis. reminded me of the dan rather national guard docs controversy!

maybe others saw this stuff too, but they didn't have the enthusiam you did to spell it out --because we've been there before.
MikeZRed
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, milowent, for your compliments. Embarassed

consideration- you make a good point, and I definately agree that continuity is a very small item compared to all the other problems.

If I may beg your indulgence, though, I'd like to explain why I think continuity, and particularly this gap in it, is far more paramount than it initially appears.

As glaring as all the other problems appear, they could, possibly, albeit begrudgingly, be excused as a shortage of talent, or maybe just writer's block, as a result of the new and better-financed production.
On the other hand, continuity gaps indicate two things - disinterest and indolence.

With great difficulty I can understand, maybe even forgive, someone unable to come up with a clever way to fill in all the gaps in the storyline. I can almost under.... ok, I can't understand, but I might be able to fogive, someone lacking the minor creativity needed to move on with the story.

Sloth, on the other hand, is an unforgivable sin (not to mention deadly). It's like the people who manufacture tools that are "economically" priced, but don't even last through one use.

Such people have no pride in their work.

I think it would be naive to suggest that the creators didn't anticipate the enthusiasm and fervor with which the "scan" of the document would be received.

This "reasonably assumed" knowledge on the part of the creators suggests that they approached this important bit of fan-interaction from a vantage of indolence and disinterest.

I don't know about you, but it's scary to consider the ramafications of that for the future of LG15.

I'd love to have the ability to resolve this post with both erudition and eloquence, but, alas, I leave you only with this fun smiley:
BrightSilence
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who cares, we all know it's fake... And it is a very minor thing. I'm just asuming they made copies to preserve the original, that's what I would do.

That would explain why the papers were smooth. It does however not explain why only 1 paper was scanned and posted, however taylor did mention that one of them seemed important, so the rest may follow...

I guess I'm just not seeing why you would <REMOVED BY ME SO A MOD DOESN'T HAVE TO DO IT> about it. Me, I have faith in the C's. I believe better times are approaching. And I don't give a *MEEP* about pointless nagging.
MikeZRed
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A photocopy has some amazing similarities to a laser printer. For instance, it doesn't get messed up when it gets wet.

Since you ask, I <expletive deleted> because I care, seemingly more so than the creators.

My faith in the creators is not entirely lost, yet, so I, too, have hope that better times are approaching; though I can't honestly say that, at this point, I believe that they are.

I don't really think the creators are reading the forum posts (else why haven't they improved things, yet?), so I don't see it as pointless nagging... it's pointless whining. Wink

Actually, I think it's nearly pointless whining. I'm not the only one whining, by far, which seems a fairly solid indicator that the most interesting things going on right now are the flaws. Which is a pretty bad sign of the LG times.

And one thing that I forgot to include in my earlier posts:
Did anyone notice the filename for the document scan? SmearLetter2-1.jpg. Anybody else familiar with the tools of Photoshop? I know it could be a hundred other things, but I saw it and immediately thought of Adobe.
Aponi
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said in about the first page of the vid thread that it definitly looked photobucket smeared to me.

I've seen ink run from water damage and it does not look like that lol, but close enough.

I agree it's a problem that a typed page is like that, but I think there's a couple other issues within this that are more concerning.

Like, we solved this within 2 hours, but a scientist and a braniac couldn't do anything with it all day?

And, this is ONE PAGE. The stuff in the box looked like a PACKET. Where's everything else? Suddenly this went from 'documents' to 'document' in the vids and IC section too.
My LG15 Vid
consideration
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeZRed wrote:
I think it would be naive to suggest that the creators didn't anticipate the enthusiasm and fervor with which the "scan" of the document would be received.
Though I wasn't suggesting that, the Creators are all partying with Kate in London. Maybe they don't even care.

Except for the one who's sticking around! Yay Mesh!

However, I think a little slip up isn't that big of a deal. We got our "water" damaged document, and we've gotten some of our answers. That's good enough for me.
BrightSilence
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One look at the letter was enough to see the image was editted on a computer. Don't tell me you had to see that 'smear' word before you realised that. They wanted just certain parts to be onreadible, so it's pretty logical they editted it theirselfs.

And why did they not figure it out? Because we demand fan interaction, we want to be a part of it, so don't whine about the fact that they hadn't solved it themselfs, we didn't want them to...
Aponi
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrightSilence wrote:
One look at the letter was enough to see the image was editted on a computer. Don't tell me you had to see that 'smear' word before you realised that. They wanted just certain parts to be onreadible, so it's pretty logical they editted it theirselfs.

And why did they not figure it out? Because we demand fan interaction, we want to be a part of it, so don't whine about the fact that they hadn't solved it themselfs, we didn't want them to...

I wasn't whining about it. I was just stating that I think that's a little more concering than the 'water damage'. I have no problem with the way things were handled.

I only really said that in hopes that maybe they could make the interaction a little more real next time. They way they did it wasn't all that believeable, that's all.

But as I said, I have no problem, I thought it was fun.
My LG15 Vid
TOSG
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole "water damage" episode was just a contrived excuse for a puzzle (albeit a pretty neat one Very Happy ), and a bit of delay in plot revelation.

So, it's not too surprising that its mechanics were similarly contrived. You made some awesome observations there, but I'm not too put off by them.

To be honest, after this last video and puzzle, I haven't been this excited about the series in months.
Aponi
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they tossed in Pavlov as a nod to us.
Like, we get a whif of the puzzle and were nuts about it until we get it Razz

It was pretty cool though Very Happy
My LG15 Vid
BrightSilence
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aponi wrote:
I wasn't whining about it. I was just stating that I think that's a little more concering than the 'water damage'. I have no problem with the way things were handled.

I only really said that in hopes that maybe they could make the interaction a little more real next time. They way they did it wasn't all that believeable, that's all.

But as I said, I have no problem, I thought it was fun.
I'm sorry, whining was definately not the right word. It seems I'm spending to much time in the concerns and complaints section. It got me a bit ticked.

After reading your message it seems that we actually agree. Again, my sincere apoligies
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Plot Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: