Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who is M?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WriterGirl
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Who is M? Reply with quote

One of the most intriguing mysteries introduced so far in LG15: Anchor Cove is the identity of M, also known as "Mother". We've gotten bits and pieces of information about her indicating that she a.) is a skilled hacker, b.) lost somebody or something to the Order and has been fighting them ever since, c.) is somewhat older than TAAG, and d.) is a really big "Hamilton" fan. It's also been hinted that she is named Diane. Since all sorts of theories have popped up in several different threads I thought it might be a good idea to have one thread where we can discuss all of them, as well as offering new theories and collect whatever information or hints pop up.

Let's start by reviewing the theories that have already been offered (taken from the forum; if there are any additional ones from YouTube comments or chat, please share), and if you don't mind, I'll share a new one (or two, apparently) of my own.

Tachyon
Evidence for:
-M's writing style is very reminiscent of Tachyon.
-One of Tachyon's superiors was code-named "Mom". It's possible that Tachyon was promoted and took on a similar code-name.
-Tachyon is known to have grown up in the Hymn of One and has been fighting the Order for a long time. She's also stolen information from them before.
Evidence against:
-M implies that she is somewhat older than Daniel, while Tachyon is about the same age as him.
-It's been implied that M and Daniel have never met, while Tachyon and Daniel have.
-It remains unknown whether the Powers That Be have permission to use the character of Tachyon.

Cassie
Evidence for:
-My philosophy is "Everyone is Cassie until proven otherwise".
-The Powers That Be have mentioned wanting to tie up leftover plots, which indicates that we will have some closure on The Cassie Question.
-A newfound annotation on "Swimming!", the video where Bree first mentions Cassie, says "shewashere".
Evidence against:
-It's unknown when the annotation was added, meaning it might not be from M, and might just be the Creators shouting out the Cassieiswatching series.
-M states that she "didn't really know" Bree, whereas Cassie and Bree were friends.
-M indicates that she is somewhat older than Daniel, while Cassie is the same age as him.

Taylor
Evidence for:
-Taylor is known to be a skilled hacker.
-M indicates that she has her own motivations for fighting the Order. Taylor may be motivated by guilt over Sarah's betrayal.
-M has said that she "didn't really know" Bree, similar to something Taylor said in "The Serum".
Evidence against:
-M indicates that she is older than Daniel, while Taylor is younger.
-It's heavily implied that M and Daniel have never met, while Taylor and Daniel know each other well.
-Becki Kregoski is no longer an actress, making Taylor's inclusion in the series practically difficult. It would make sense to make Taylor an off-screen character in that case, but it could also make it difficult to confirm Taylor as M without visual proof.

Tachyon's "Mom"
Evidence for:
-M's writing style is very reminiscent of Tachyon, indicating a connection.
-"Mom" and "Mother" are basically the same name.
-She is known to have been fighting the Order for a long time.
-While we don't know if she is Tachyon's actual mother, it's a good bet that she's significantly older than both Tachyon and TAAG.
Evidence against:
-It remains unknown whether the Powers That Be have permission to use Tachyon or related characters.

Emma
Evidence for:
-M could be a shortened nickname for "Emma".
-There was a time between Gina's death and the relaunch of the series where Emma was reluctant to appear on camera, so it's possible that she would have been inclined to create an alter ego to protect herself.
Evidence against:
-M indicates that she is somewhat older than Daniel, while Emma is younger than him.
-Emma has since appeared on camera, suggesting that she and M are separate characters.
-Emma has been working alongside Daniel for awhile, so it's unlikely that she would need to work by herself on the side. It's also unlikely that she would drop the Bree-is-alive bomb on him in such a public way.

Dr. Gilman's Mistress
Evidence for:
-M for Mistress?
-She kept her face hidden from the camera the entire time she was being filmed.
-She is obviously older than TAAG.
-She would have reason to be angry with the Order after Isaac Gilman's character.
Evidence against:
-M has implied that she's been fighting the Order longer than TAAG, but we don't know enough about the Mistress to know if she would have a reason to be anti-Order besides Gilman's death.

Maggie
Evidence for:
-Maggie has shown hacking skills as The Hymn of None.
-It makes sense that she would need a new alias to work under after escaping the order. She might have chosen "Mother" after giving birth to a trait-positive baby like the Order wanted her to, or as an insult against them and that plan.
Evidence against:
-M's writing style doesn't seem to mesh with Maggie's personality.
-M has indicated that she is significantly older than Daniel, whereas Maggie is the same age as Daniel.

Note: While the choice of the screen-name "Mother" indicates that the character is female, it's probably helpful to consider male characters as suspects as well.

Michael Carruthers
Evidence for:
-M for Michael?
-He could be motivated by guilt over Bree's ceremony and subsequent re-brainwashing, and/or by some other betrayal from the Order.
-He is significantly older than TAAG.
-He has access to a lot of inside information, similar to what M has already shared.
Evidence against:
-???

Marty
Evidence for:
-M for Marty?
-His emails clearly indicate that he is not so happy with what's going down in Order Town.
Evidence against:
-Leaking emails with everybody's name redacted except yours and your (presumed) wife's is not so smart.

New Character
Evidence for:
-It's been implied that M's name is Diane, a name that hasn't yet been used in LG15 canon.
-There are numerous implications that M and Daniel have never met.
Evidence against:
-???

My two new theories:

Bree & Gina's Biological Mother
Evidence for:
-The choice of the screen-name Mother would be super-duper relevant.
-She could be motivated by the guilt of unknowingly giving her daughters up to an evil cult.
-She would be significantly older than TAAG and would have had 16 years to discover the truth and get a head-start on Order-fighting.
Evidence against:
-M has indicated that she has motivations for fighting the Order separate from Bree.

Cassie's Mother
Okay, I only just discovered this, so bear with me. It's been suggested (and is very likely) that the name Diane is a tribute to Chershaytoute, who recently passed away. (RIP, friend.) But I wondered if it could belong to an obscure character that we've just forgotten about. So I searched Diane on LGPedia and discovered two entries that don't refer to Cher. They are videos in the itscassie series, where Diane was the name of Cassie's mother.
Evidence against:
-itscassie was never canon, but that doesn't mean that The Powers That Be didn't decide to just use the name. A double shout-out, if you will.

Okay. What's your favorite theory? Do you have one that hasn't been mentioned yet? Did I miss some major information somewhere? Let's discuss!
primaryasset
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job compiling all these theories! I hadn't considered all of these yet.

The Bree and Gina's biological mother theory gave me some more ideas:

-Emma's biological mother?

-Jonas and Emma's mother, whose first name appears to be unknown, according to the wiki? As far as I know, she hasn't been heard from since she and Mr. Wharton sent Emma to hide out in that bunker alone, right?

-While I'm here just listing all of Emma's parents, what if Emma's first adoptive mother, before she went to the Whartons, is actually still alive? Since faked deaths are clearly in the realm of possibility, here. (This...doesn't seem likely to me, but I'm having fun coming up with ideas now. It would be interesting to learn more about Emma's history, though, like whether the Order was actually behind the deaths of her first adoptive parents, and if so, why.)

-To toss out an even more outlandish theory for the hell of it, what if it was Gina, secretly alive and reaching out to her old friends from afar? It wouldn't really match up with some of the stuff M has said, but of course, whoever M is could be presenting themselves very differently from however they actually are in order to conceal their identity, so you never know. (M theories aside, I've gotten myself thoroughly convinced that Gina is alive. FIGHT ME, CANON.)
WriterGirl
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, there was a moment when I was like "___'s Mother. Just fill in the blank." I honestly think the strongest possibility is the mother of a Ceremony Girl.

-I thought about the Whartons, too. They just kind of disappeared, didn't they?

-I didn't think about Emma's bio-mom, however.
(Side note: I've developed a theory that Emma and Jonas are actually biologically related. Now that we know Jonas is trait positive, it makes sense that he would be adopted, and they just resemble each other so much more than either of them resembles the Whartons. Okay. Side note done.)

Quote:
-To toss out an even more outlandish theory for the hell of it, what if it was Gina, secretly alive and reaching out to her old friends from afar? It wouldn't really match up with some of the stuff M has said, but of course, whoever M is could be presenting themselves very differently from however they actually are in order to conceal their identity, so you never know.

It honestly doesn't seem like Gina to me, at all. But I do agree that M could be trying to throw us off their trail in a few different ways. They could be a man pretending to be a woman, or someone Daniel's age pretending to be older. Anything, really.

Quote:
(M theories aside, I've gotten myself thoroughly convinced that Gina is alive. FIGHT ME, CANON.)

YES. GINA IS TOTALLY ALIVE.
primaryasset
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me play the "[blank]'s mother" game again for a minute, then, and suggest Sarah and Taylor's mother. One has to wonder how much she knew, being married to someone in the Order, at the very least. And a ceremony girl's mother would certainly have good reason to want to fight the Order, but so would a mother who felt she lost her child to their ideology, the way Taylor and their mother might feel they lost Sarah. Taylor's hacking skills might also come into play, here, if she was helping her mother out with this.

Again, just a wild theory I'm tossing out here for fun. But this thread has gotten me wondering about a lot of these characters and their backstories more, in general. There are so many different directions this could go in. M could just as easily be a brand new character with no immediate connection to the original main characters, or someone we have already heard of, whether they've appeared onscreen before or not.

(Kind of a side note, because I don't actually believe she could be M at all, but all this talk of secret informants and the cute picture I saw of Bitsie Tulloch at Comic Con today has me wondering where Aunt Alex is now. Wait, what if HER mother secretly survived her accident and was M...yeah I need to stop.)
WriterGirl
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrs. Genatiempo is an interesting theory, actually. That would put a really interesting spin on the dynamic between M and Daniel. And she had a thing for younger men, so she would know about "campsite rules".

I get the feeling M is a one-woman show, though. She seems pretty proud of doing all her own computer stuff, and talks about not having people around her.

(It would be kind of hilarious if it turned out to be a reverse Hymn of None, though. Maggie was like, "We are legion!" and then, "Okay, it was just me." Maybe M's like, "I work alone!" and then we find out it's a freaking 10-person team or something. LoL.)

I thought about Aunt Alex, too ("campsite rules" again), but I agree she seems unlikely. I am very interested in finding out where she disappeared too, though. Nowhere good, I'm guessing.

I think it's entirely possible/probable that it's either a new character or a one-shot that we don't know anything about. But until we know for sure, it's a lot of fun to theorize.
JustAnotherLonelyGirl.
P. Monkey's Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Who is M? Reply with quote

WriterGirl wrote:

Cassie's Mother
Okay, I only just discovered this, so bear with me. It's been suggested (and is very likely) that the name Diane is a tribute to Chershaytoute, who recently passed away. (RIP, friend.) But I wondered if it could belong to an obscure character that we've just forgotten about. So I searched Diane on LGPedia and discovered two entries that don't refer to Cher. They are videos in the itscassie series, where Diane was the name of Cassie's mother.
Evidence against:
-itscassie was never canon, but that doesn't mean that The Powers That Be didn't decide to just use the name. A double shout-out, if you will.

How funny, before I got to this.. I was going to suggest Cassie's mom! Not because of the Diane/itscassie thing (which I didn't remember), but because it sounds like this woman had her child taken from her. So maybe "she was here" was Mother's way of indicating this connection.

Another thought: Emma's mother? If the trait positive girls are stolen from their biological mothers, then Emma's mother would have motive to fight the Order as well.

Finally -- perhaps there is a connection to Jonas. Jonas's mother perhaps, or another relative. He is trait positive too and Mother's first "clues" involved the medical notes heavily implied to be about Jonas. If Jonas is going to be absent or have limited presence in this reboot, this would be a nice way to keep him connected, as he was one of the original 3 TAAG members.
ahcapella
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Who is M? Reply with quote

(moved from: Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Clues and Puzzles -> wav file found in "I can't get away from lonelygirl15&a)

Last Wednesday, Talezine used “Rochambeau” as the password which unlocked M’s long message to us. A couple of days later, I found myself pondering that line “The code word is ‘Rochambeau,’ dig me?” which occurs in “Yorktown (The World Turned Upside Down)” from Hamilton.  The character introduced shortly after that line is Hercules Mulligan. That got me wondering… 

Could M be an abbreviation for Mulligan?  As in Hercules Mulligan?  He was a friend of Alexander Hamilton, and a tailor-turned-spy during the American Revolution. 

From Wikipedia: In 1765, Mulligan was one of the first colonists to join the Sons of Liberty, a secret society formed to protect the rights of the colonists and to fight British taxation. …While staying with the Mulligan family, Alexander Hamilton came to share Mulligan's [pro-independence, anti-British] views. …When George Washington spoke of his need for reliable information from within New York City in 1776, after the Continental Army was driven out, Hamilton recommended Mulligan due to his placement as tailor to British soldiers and higher-ups.  This proved to be incredibly successful, with Mulligan saving Washington's life on two occasions. The first occurred when a British officer, who requested a watch coat late one evening, told Mulligan of their plans: "before another day, we'll have the rebel general in our hands." Mulligan quickly informed Washington, who changed his plans and avoided capture.

The name Mulligan could suggest that “M” is a spy working from within (the Order?), surreptitiously gathering information to pass on to us. It’s a thought, anyway.
WriterGirl
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustAnotherLonelyGirl wrote:
Finally -- perhaps there is a connection to Jonas. Jonas's mother perhaps, or another relative. He is trait positive too and Mother's first "clues" involved the medical notes heavily implied to be about Jonas. If Jonas is going to be absent or have limited presence in this reboot, this would be a nice way to keep him connected, as he was one of the original 3 TAAG members.

I thought about that, too. Either his biological mom (if we're assuming he was adopted, since he's trait-positive), or Mrs. Wharton.

ahcapella wrote:
The name Mulligan could suggest that “M” is a spy working from within (the Order?), surreptitiously gathering information to pass on to us. It’s a thought, anyway.

That's interesting. I didn't know about that guy.

I go back and forth on whether I think M is an Order insider or not. Obviously she has some way in, but I think it's possible that she's getting everything just by hacking into their systems.
WriterGirl
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: The Drop Reply with quote

Okay. Go here for a full breakdown of what was found in the box at Dark Delicacies. In this post, I'm going to go over what seems relevant to me re: M's identity. If I miss anything, especially concerning Lootcrate or Mage: The Ascension, neither of which I have any experience with, please let me know.

A.) I think it's safe to say that M is currently operating in the L.A./Southern California area. As far as I could see, there was no postage on the box, but we don't know how it was delivered to Dark Delicacies, so. For simplicity's sake, let's just assume she's in CA.

B.) Possibly an X-Files fan. She included the flashlight, but tbh, "I want to believe" is a pretty basic reference, so take that for what it's worth. I do wonder what she wants to believe, though. She wants to believe that she can count on Daniel/us? Or maybe it's hinting that she's a former HoO member who can't believe in it anymore.

C.) The character sheet is the big one. The fact that it's from an RPG and the message "She's done me well over the years" seems, to me, to be a hint that M is putting on a persona of some sort. But "Player's Name: Diane" seems to indicate that Diane is her real name. Just my reading of it.

D.) "Cabal: The Misfits". *flail* Okay. This is huge to me. I know "The Misfits" is not canon, but come on. This cannot be a coincidence. TPTB have to know that we would pick up on that, and that seems to point to a connection to Taylor OR (and this seems more likely, given Taylor/Becki's unknown status and the fact that Maxwell is confirmed to be returning) Spencer!

So. Possible new theory: Spencer's mother? Or is this another point for the Mistress theory?

E.) I noticed under "Merits & Flaws", "Isolated Upbringing" was listed. This seems another hint at a HoO background, but since it's part of the IC things, I'm taking it with a grain of salt.

Those are my thoughts so far.
WriterGirl
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so we have a new video! Go here for the discussion.

Points of interest to me:

A.) M was at Dark Delicacies! I, personally, am very interested in the blonde woman in a white dress who we see several times in the video. Her face was not blurred like others were, but we also didn't get a good look at her. From what I can tell, however, she's not familiar to us, and she seems to be about middle-aged?
Of course, she could also just be an innocent bystander who happened to be there that day, so take that with a grain of salt.

B.) M either had access to the Dark Delicacies security footage, or she had her own cameras hidden. Knowing her, it could be either.

C.) The .wav file hidden in the video gives us a "Prologue". It contains the characters "Crash", obviously Crashdown from the Mage character sheets, and somebody called Deedee. My theory is that "Crash" represents M/Diane and DeeDee is her child.

D.) She also gave us a picture of Bree's ceremony with a message. Lemme break it down:

Quote:
sorry it's been a while. time flies when you're keeping an eye on these kids.

-Indicates to me that M is in a position, possibly within the Order, of a caretaker. Maybe watching over Ceremony Girls?

Quote:
don't worry, they're fine. i think. it's always hard to tell.

-Maybe reassuring us that all her Ceremony Girls are still alive and accounted for?

Quote:
i didn't know how i'd feel when i watched this one. i guess you could say i'm just a little numb at it. the efficiency or what they're doing.
but then again, they've been around for decades, haven't they?

-So M witnessed Bree's Ceremony, and it clearly wasn't the first. But the "didn't know how I'd feel" hints to me that, a.) there was something different about it, b.) she had an extra connection to it (more weight for the Bree's mother theory?), or c.) she only recently watched the footage for the first time? I'm not sure.

Quote:
she never stood a chance.

-Yeah, M's not much of an optimist, is she?

Quote:
i'll be back sooner this time.

-It's not gonna be another month or two between videos, guys. Don't worry.

Okay, those last two don't have much to do with the identity mystery.

Besides the woman at Dark Delicacies who may/may not be M, I don't see much new here. It does give us more to indicate that M has a role inside the Order (and I'm intrigued that she may be a caretaker of some kind), and that she's either a former Ceremony Girl or the mother of one.

Opinions? Thoughts?
MaboshiHotaru
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Handwriting comparison for M and Maggie

In Reed's last video, Maggie gives Reed a hand written note with Daniel's address on it.
Here is a screenshot of that note:

Looking at all of M's handwritten notes this is the easiest one to compare handwriting:

Look at the "the" although it's not in cursive they look really really similar.
Vinterlobo
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject: Doesn't make sense Reply with quote

It doesn't makes sense that M is maggie and imo it's too obvious. Maggie is suppose to be with Jonas...unless they finally escaped? Which I guess is possible too. I would think it would be another 'deep throat' type. I did just notice that the S's are very similar too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Plot Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: