Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jehovah's Witnesses / Watchtower Society?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trelian
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be able to get in contact with Brother Karrls or Karris (he was mentioned in the thread about the episode). I live in Miami. So if I can, I can possibly ask him about this information, would be real interesting. Where did you pull his name from?
butterfly
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting theory but...

Would a JW have a Crowley shrine in their bedroom?
nakita
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Threre's no way Brees religion is a real religion. It would offend to many people, and it's just not in good taste. However, it could be based on a real religion, that has different beliefs than (for example) Jehovah's Witnesses. It could be the way there are some Christians who believe Jesus was married and had kids, and some believe he didn't.

(p.s. I'm a Roman Catholic, and I think that anyone who believes in Christ can call themselves a Christain, including Jehovah's witnesses. The Catholic church is waaaaay to stuffy about a lot of things Rolling Eyes )

Proud member of the Jonas is Sexy Club!
JacksAndDouches
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nakita wrote:
Threre's no way Brees religion is a real religion. It would offend to many people, and it's just not in good taste. However, it could be based on a real religion, that has different beliefs than (for example) Jehovah's Witnesses. It could be the way there are some Christians who believe Jesus was married and had kids, and some believe he didn't.

(p.s. I'm a Roman Catholic, and I think that anyone who believes in Christ can call themselves a Christain, including Jehovah's witnesses. The Catholic church is waaaaay to stuffy about a lot of things Rolling Eyes )

why would it offend someone....it has not even been shown in a bad light....it has not been shown in any light! all we know is she is preparing for a ceremony, goes to a camp and performs a play....what is there to be offended about?
glow
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: I am also Witness Reply with quote

Interesting theory.

The Memorial is celebrated usually in April not October. It is around the same time as the Jewish celebration of Passover and therefore pretty easy to track.

We do consider ourselves Christian, many people don't because we do not endorse the trinity.

There are many site which to not provide accurate info about our beliefs and www.watchtower.org is the only official source. The Wikipedia article on us is also fairly informative and un-biased.
Broken Kid
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: I am also Witness Reply with quote

glow wrote:
The Memorial is celebrated usually in April not October. It is around the same time as the Jewish celebration of Passover and therefore pretty easy to track.

Right, that's what I figured. I still suspect the "ceremony" in question is one of initiation.

Quote:
We do consider ourselves Christian, many people don't because we do not endorse the trinity.

There are many site which to not provide accurate info about our beliefs and www.watchtower.org is the only official source. The Wikipedia article on us is also fairly informative and un-biased.

I doubt JW is the religion, as the connections are pretty tenuous. It was very interesting doing research into it, though!
nakita
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JacksAndDouches wrote:
nakita wrote:

why would it offend someone....it has not even been shown in a bad light....it has not been shown in any light! all we know is she is preparing for a ceremony, goes to a camp and performs a play....what is there to be offended about?

A lot of people aren't calling it a religion, they're calling it a cult. Nowadays, cult is a term we associate with brainwashing and Charles Manson. (I know that the actual definition of cult is not so bad, but think about it; what is the first thing that pops into your head when you hear the word cult?) I don' t know about you, but that would offend me.
Religion is supposed to be something we embrace that makes our lives better. So far it seems like people want to 'save' Bree from her religion.

sororyzbl
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nakita wrote:
A lot of people aren't calling it a religion, they're calling it a cult. Nowadays, cult is a term we associate with brainwashing and Charles Manson. (I know that the actual definition of cult is not so bad, but think about it; what is the first thing that pops into your head when you hear the word cult?) I don' t know about you, but that would offend me.
Religion is supposed to be something we embrace that makes our lives better. So far it seems like people want to 'save' Bree from her religion.

When I think of cult, I think of wierd movies and Ian Astbury. It doesn't have a negative connotation to me. I'm a subgenius.
tannhaus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nakita wrote:

TOTALLY agreed
Way2Curious
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nakita wrote:

I think the reason people want to 'save' Bree from her religion is because
her religion seems dangerous to her well-being. She is cut off from society, she has no friends, her parents (possibly in the name of religion)
are limiting her freedom in a way that seems damaging, they also seem to be pushing the religion on others ( example: Daniel if you won't film our play, maybe you can't come over anymore).

A religion should be inspirational and should make ones life better, however, when it doesn't, and seems to do more harm than good that is when people seem to start to label it a "cult" (whether or not said religion fits the description accurately or not).

That is just my opinion, I'm an Atheist anyway and don't hold any belief system over another (except when a religion is harmful or involves tainted kool-aid).
tannhaus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way2Curious wrote:
her religion seems dangerous to her well-being. She is cut off from society, she has no friends, her parents (possibly in the name of religion)
are limiting her freedom in a way that seems damaging, they also seem to be pushing the religion on others ( example: Daniel if you won't film our play, maybe you can't come over anymore).

But, how many christians fit that definition? But, people aren't running around telling them they belong to a cult.

No...there's definite discrimination there.
sororyzbl
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way2Curious wrote:
nakita wrote:

A religion should be inspirational and should make ones life better, however, when it doesn't, and seems to do more harm than good that is when people seem to start to label it a "cult" (whether or not said religion fits the description accurately or not).

That is just my opinion, I'm an Atheist anyway and don't hold any belief system over another (except when a religion is harmful or involves tainted kool-aid).

That's kind of what I think when it comes to a "cult" - really to me it's anything that involves a charismatic leader and things that infringe upon your own, or someone else's, freedom. that's death, imprisonment, illegal activities (like the deadly "apple dumpling cult" from the 70's), and/or, castration because the flying saucers are coming with halle bopp.
MCH/TA,X ++ CO1,PEG/SG,W+,N++, Dd+, Dr+, A, a+, C++, G++, QH+++,666+++, Y+++
------END MAGIC CODE BLOCK------
nakita
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying that I agree with the religious way that Bree's parents have chosen to raise her, I'm saying that this could be (but shouldn't be) a real religion, with real followers, who would be offeneded that the creators of LG15 portrayed their religion as something dangerous.

spaciegirlreturn
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tannhaus wrote:
nakita wrote:

TOTALLY agreed

There aren't "a lot of people" in the series. Only Daniel thinks her religion is like a cult...but he seems pretty uninformed on the subject. The fans are the rest of the "people" I think you're talking about. The creators can't control what any of our opinions are. If all the varying opinions on the boards offend you or anyone else, I'd reccomend that you just watch the videos and don't read any of this.
Lost
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spaciegirl wrote:
tannhaus wrote:
nakita wrote:

TOTALLY agreed

There aren't "a lot of people" in the series. Only Daniel thinks her religion is like a cult...but he seems pretty uninformed on the subject. The fans are the rest of the "people" I think you're talking about. The creators can't control what any of our opinions are. If all the varying opinions on the boards offend you or anyone else, I'd reccomend that you just watch the videos and don't read any of this.

I kind of hope (although it wouldn't be as interesting) that Bree's religion and the ceremony turns out to be completely harmless. That Daniel will break in expecting to save her, but instead discovers that her beliefs are not evil but just different. Sending a message that just because someone beliefs are different does not make them bad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Her Religion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: