Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pluto's new friends don't have rings - neither does he
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> The Others in Bree's Life
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terryfic
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Pluto's new friends don't have rings - neither does he Reply with quote

It is in The Tolstoy Principal that we get our lone glance at Bree's Dad, and he doesn't appear to be wearing a wedding ring. Did Bree's parents split up? Maybe their religion doesn't involve rings for marriage. Maybe her parents aren't married at all. Maybe I am seeing things. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Terryfic on Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lieutenant Bellend
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked how we only saw him from the waist down. I've only ever seen this technique used in tom and jerry cartoons where you only saw the adults the same way.
I dunno why but copying that from tom and jerry has been the best bit for me so far!
lonelyboy15
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup that was pretty hilarious
HyeMew

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always contended the "Bree's dad" was very young looking based on what little we saw. Most likely he's another 20-something and they didn't even think to put a wedding band on him. It after all did take us until the Pluto episode to retroactively realize that her dad doesn't wear a ring after all, so be careful to place this fact into the intended narrative.
William
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father doesn't wear a wedding band. Many men find that they only get in the way and are uncomfortable.
millionthwindow
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: the dad Reply with quote

The part about only seeing him from the waist down, this is also how children see adults, and in a sense heightens how Bree has been somewhat infantilized, or portrays such a kind of 'bobble head' cutesy image, after the fashion of (sadly) a great number of teen age young women.

But, does Bree act 'cutesy' as a defense, or as a way of downplaying her emerging sexuality, and this in accordance with how she had been derided by her peers for taking an interest in science ? Or does she do this in accorance with some idea of how she as a teenage girl is supposed to 'act' ?

Something else, this whole thing is really causing me to question a lot of notions I have regarding genre...

As to the rings...Well, she does emphasize how Pluto's new neighbours don't have any. Does this narrative (I wonder)possibly somewhat elliptically draw on the Persephone myth ? I don't see it, only thinking out loud...
je_danse112
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... Bree went to School. And then she, like Pluto, was taken out, and homeschooled by her parents who don't have rings? Wink
millionthwindow
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: och Reply with quote

je_danse112 wrote:
Hmm... Bree went to School. And then she, like Pluto, was taken out, and homeschooled by her parents who don't have rings? Wink

Och! Duh. killing myself for not seeing that one. Sometimes KISS is best.
northernmunky21
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is it exactly that bree's dad is meant to do? just watched the tolstoy principle and i noticed he has a white coat in his hand and a satchel thingybob in the other. WHY did we need to see both of them? sorry if this makes no sense im extremely tired! lol
lesbrent
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that his bag looked like a laptop briefcase but yet he supposedly doesn't know anything about computers or webcams?
lesbrent
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bree's dad had a white lab coat in his hand and now she looks like she's had shot in her arm (House Arrest). Can anyone get a close up of what is on her bookcase?
honkey
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bree got a shot of truth serum...LoL, cant, very well, have a big important ceremony with an unchaste subject. Can ya blame a daddy for makin sure :cP
whateva4eva
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone else notice that she has the lab coat that was in her father's hand earlier in the Tolstoy Principle? do you think this is significant or not?
solasura
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, it's being discussed if her dad could be a doctor or a scientist.

makes sense if he's a scientist, cos it'll explain her indepth interest in those areas. and prolly why she does "proving science wrong" as an act to rebel against her old man.

i have a feeling bree doesnt like her old man very much. heh.
Flautapantera

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would make sense if Bree's dad were a doctor or scientist. Or maybe he's more into something based upon their religion--especially if they're so religious and he does the bibliomancy every year. Though I doubt he'd wear a labcoat if he were some eqiuvalent of a priest in their religion.

You know that moment where you just want to grab a pair of scissors and run away with them?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> The Others in Bree's Life All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: