Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LG15 in terms of movie story structure
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hannahbee
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrazyNic wrote:
Like maybe that her friend Cassie got too close, and the "elders" took Cassie out, and now they're going to do the same to Daniel...theres no price they're not willing to pay to "save" bree from the outside world and keep her on her destiny...the next great whatever.

remarkably, after tonight's Daniel vid we are more on track than ever to that being the case! maybe this is that climax we were looking for...

*Runs back off to "Videos" section*[/i]
The23rdGod
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

demerick wrote:

It's amazing how much one little statement can reveal about a person.

yes it most definitely is.
especially when the people interpreting the statement show their own lack of comprehension.

I don't mean telling a story is dangerous.
storytelling, CAN and in this case, IS.

I won't bring it up anymore, but just watch.
this ushering in of "New Art Forms" isn't as benign as most everyone wants to assume.

And buddy, I'm no where near being a Fundie Nutter, so don't play that card.

crowley 4 christ
Icaterus
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm, The23rdGod I'm not sure what you're talking about...

Do you mean storytelling is dangerous in terms of putting a scary idea out there and frightening people? Or giving people ideas about a wider, and maybe bad, world or something like that?

Or do you mean a story that involves crowley and the occult is going to be dangerous for us? It sounds like you believe in those type of things.

Thanks for watching as I fall.
demerick
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The23rdGod wrote:
demerick wrote:

It's amazing how much one little statement can reveal about a person.

yes it most definitely is.
especially when the people interpreting the statement show their own lack of comprehension.

I don't mean telling a story is dangerous.
storytelling, CAN and in this case, IS.

I won't bring it up anymore, but just watch.
this ushering in of "New Art Forms" isn't as benign as most everyone wants to assume.

And buddy, I'm no where near being a Fundie Nutter, so don't play that card.

crowley 4 christ

Ummm...you wrote "storytelling is still dangerous." Not, "This form of storytelling is dangerous," or "storytelling about misunderstood religious sects is dangerous." You used a blanket statement that applied to all storytelling.

As a writer I refuse to allow anyone--whether they be part of some religion or part of the government--to censor me. Clarify your statement and explain how you weren't just making a blanket statement when you said "storytelling is still dangerous" and maybe I'll have respect for you. Until you can show how that wasn't a blanket statement that portrays my profession as a danger to society, I can't see you as open-minded or not a zealot. You know, fundies can be any religion, not just Christian. Seeing fiction that stirs up discussion, educates people and forces people to look at their own prejudices as dangerous indicates that you believe there is something to hide.

And if you do have something to do with Crowley, Thelema et al. and you want him portrayed in a good light, perhaps you should think about how your comments and your decision to link yourself so closely to him on these boards may gel the negative opinions so many people have of the religion. PR people are paid six digit incomes because they know how not to do what your comments have been doing for Thelema. In fact, your statement that storytelling is still dangerous and your insistance on linking yourself to the religion has me much more skeptical of the faith than I was before. You could think before posting and perhaps help guide people on this board to see Thelema as a benign religion or continue to claim to be open-minded while closing your mind to legitimate complaints about your comments and raise even more suspicians in those of us who were refusing to prejudge a religion because of rumors about one member. Think about it, if it isn't too dangerous to do so.
The23rdGod
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah HAH,

now you're questioning my religion!??!?!
well, no your not.
I'm not a Thelmite.
sorry.

"PR people are paid six digit incomes because they know how not to do what your comments have been doing for Thelema."

really? I defamed Thelema?
i don't think so.

anyway, crowley's done enough PR himself for his own religion for me to even make a dent, no thanks.

and if you and others make conclusions on subjects as complex as religion by browsing LG15 forums or ANY other for that matter, I doubt I'd be concerned with any of your opinion's to begin with.

you're a writer? heh.
but do you understand what writing IS?

i'm not a politician, and I doubt you are, so I don't feel any need to defend my "blanket statement".
hey Tolstoy, popping open a dictionary could've saved us all some time, eh?

dan·ger·ous (dnjr-s)
adj.

1. Involving or filled with danger; perilous.
2. Being able or likely to do harm.

just wait for it
tannhaus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

demerick wrote:
And if you do have something to do with Crowley, Thelema et al. and you want him portrayed in a good light, perhaps you should think about how your comments and your decision to link yourself so closely to him on these boards may gel the negative opinions so many people have of the religion. PR people are paid six digit incomes because they know how not to do what your comments have been doing for Thelema. In fact, your statement that storytelling is still dangerous and your insistance on linking yourself to the religion has me much more skeptical of the faith than I was before. You could think before posting and perhaps help guide people on this board to see Thelema as a benign religion or continue to claim to be open-minded while closing your mind to legitimate complaints about your comments and raise even more suspicians in those of us who were refusing to prejudge a religion because of rumors about one member. Think about it, if it isn't too dangerous to do so.

Why do you automatically associate him with us??
demerick
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tannhaus wrote:
demerick wrote:

Why do you automatically associate him with us??

Notice the "if" in my comment. He's the one who associated himself with you with his closing statement in his last comment to me. My comments are based on that conditional statement.

Perhaps those who are involved with the religion should make it a point to distance themselves from him and his ignorant comments. He can be very detrimental to you. You've provided intelligent conversation to this forum, which is something I respect. He's only provided LonelySpoiler15 type drivel and has hinted that he's a part of your religion--obviously something that you and others in your religion shouldn't stand for.

Storytelling is dangerous? I suppose he's subscribing to the belief that this is all some recruiting ploy by the Thelema religion (which I highly doubt because recruitment would have involved providing a direct link to the religion and showing the benefits and sense of community from the religion).

I find it very entertaining that he's now taking back everything he said with a definition from a dictionary. Perhaps he needs to learn something about context and connotation. Those are some words he can look up while he's at it.
Sfonzarelli
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icaterus wrote:

Ignore The23rdGod. He sounds like one of those assholes who just got into chao magick and has decided to turn it into a religious dogma and show how much cooler he is than everyone else by acting spooky and mysteriously and abrasive.

But he is right, storytelling as a whole is closely linked to magical practice and has the ability to profoundly alter the state of the human mind. So storytelling could alter someone's mind for the better or for the worse, just like LSD.

-.-. ..-. ..- -.- / ..- -.-- ---
Kasdeja
Hymn of One

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...maybe not ...juuuust like...LSD... Wink
demerick
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sfonzarelli wrote:
Icaterus wrote:

Ignore The23rdGod. He sounds like one of those assholes who just got into chao magick and has decided to turn it into a religious dogma and show how much cooler he is than everyone else by acting spooky and mysteriously and abrasive.

But he is right, storytelling as a whole is closely linked to magical practice and has the ability to profoundly alter the state of the human mind. So storytelling could alter someone's mind for the better or for the worse, just like LSD.

I agree that storytelling is magical has the ability to alter the state of the human mind. However, to say that it's dangerous is like saying that eating is dangerous. Sure, if you go into eating mindlessly and swallow everything that's put before you, you're much more likely to get fat and have medical problems (if you don't have the amazing genetics that let some people eat with abandon and not gain an ounce Mad ). However, if you use a little intelligence when people are placing dish after dish in front of you, eating can be a pleasurable and life-sustaining experience.

I may be in the minority, but I've never walked away from a book or a good movie without thinking about it--questioning my own beliefs about the theme, pondering how the author (I read more than I watch TV or movies) came to the conclusions demonstrated by the theme and taking into account the artistic and philosophical nature of the work. The problems arise when people blindly accept everything they are told. The best storytellers leave questions open for thought.

That's something this series has done very well. They haven't told us how things are and expected us to believe them, they've provided hints and clues and let us draw our own conclusions. Like I've said before, encouraging thought can be deemed dangerous by restrictive governments and religions.

My problem here has been with the statement that all storytelling is dangerous. I suppose I'm arguing semantics. You've had the intelligence to state that storytelling "could be dangerous" without implying that it is always dangerous. And you are right.

The person who made the statement I had a problem with is, as you said, trying to prove himself by being sketchy and abrasive, so I'm not responding to him anymore.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Plot Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: