Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Time for the Jets to cool
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheikh Gomelez
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mirage wrote:
spaciegirl wrote:
I hereby refuse to read any post where the text is longer that 1.5 inches on my screen.

Agreed. My eyes automatically glaze over. Very Happy

I have a similar response to the back-and-forth flaming. Laughing

And spaciegirl, I'm wounded, deeply wounded, by your words. Are you saying that you disagreed with the points, or that you were bored? Crying or Very sad Wink
And dissension have begun.
spaciegirlreturn
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't be offended..I have ADD, and as soon as something feels like a "lesson" to me, I bail. (not always..but particularly with historical figures. I'm a math and science person.)
sororyzbl
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spaciegirl wrote:
don't be offended..I have ADD, and as soon as something feels like a "lesson" to me, I bail. (not always..but particularly with historical figures. I'm a math and science person.)

You need to develop OCD to go along with your ADD. that way you can get bored easily while you're rearranging your sock drawer.
MCH/TA,X ++ CO1,PEG/SG,W+,N++, Dd+, Dr+, A, a+, C++, G++, QH+++,666+++, Y+++
------END MAGIC CODE BLOCK------
Mirage
Hymn of One

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sororyzbl wrote:
Mirage wrote:
spaciegirl wrote:
I hereby refuse to read any post where the text is longer that 1.5 inches on my screen.

Agreed. My eyes automatically glaze over. Very Happy

When I saw the name of this thread, for some reason, I thought it was about the actual Jets, so I came in here ready to flame away..*dissapointed shrug*

football jets or street gang jets?

Ewww, now I have that "When you're a jet you're a jet" song stuck in my head. Thanks. Very Happy

Football Jets. Boo! Hiss! (Pats fan here) Twisted Evil
Sfonzarelli
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheikh Gomelez wrote:
Blah blah gay sex blah blah congress

Karl Marx is still not a knowledgable scholar of religion in any sense of the word.

-.-. ..-. ..- -.- / ..- -.-- ---
Sheikh Gomelez
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sfonzarelli wrote:
Sheikh Gomelez wrote:
Blah blah gay sex blah blah congress

Karl Marx is still not a knowledgable scholar of religion in any sense of the word.

I didn't say that he was, now did I? Nor did he, for that matter. He just made some observations on how religion functions in relation to social and economic power structures. Wink

Your comment was, "Karl Marx was an old fat cranky German with about as much relevance to anyone's life as Ann Coulter." I stated that Marx's work can be relevant to people's lives in ways that Coulter's stuff never is. I also pointed out that your statement was problematic broad and ad hominem in a pretty Coulteresque way.

But if you meant to say that Marx wasn't a scholar of religion, we agree. Smile

EDIT: I don't remember mentioning Tom Foley in my post. I believe you were misquoting me... Laughing

Last edited by Sheikh Gomelez on Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:22 am; edited 4 times in total
Sheikh Gomelez
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spaciegirl wrote:

I'm pretty difficult to offend, so no offense was taken. Just joshin' ya.
The Lovely Miss M.
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spaciegirl, it's not ADD, it's...

Attention Defecit Advantage!

(one of my professors has severe Attention Defecit Advantage. Today we talked about the benefits of it.)
spaciegirlreturn
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lovely Miss M. wrote:
Spaciegirl, it's not ADD, it's...

Attention Defecit Advantage!

(one of my professors has severe Attention Defecit Advantage. Today we talked about the benefits of it.)

Yeah, I agree with this actually. I've never taken any medication for it..it's not very severe anyway, but I just accept it as part of me. It makes me a very "cut the bullshit" kind of thinker and talker..which is an advantage in a lot of situations. Critiques in art school were fun with me...good thing I already had friends before we started those.
Sfonzarelli
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheikh Gomelez wrote:
DIT: I don't remember mentioning Tom Foley in my post. I believe you were misquoting me... Laughing

MARK FOLEY YOU FAIL

PS, an unrelated AIM conversation my friend and I had

Quote:
sfonzarelli: if the international mainstream community of chemists came together
sfonzarelli: and were like
sfonzarelli: "Chemistry has officially been reclassified as a religion"
sfonzarelli: Marxists would be like
sfonzarelli: DON'T PRACTICE CHEMISTRY
sfonzarelli: RELIGION IS THE OPIATE OF THE MASSES

ThisIsntJP: the practice of chemistry oppresses the proletariat
ThisIsntJP: with their weak collaborationist platitudes to invisible qualities like "covalent bonds" and "catalysis"
ThisIsntJP: they strip the proletariat of its revolutionary will and consciousness
ThisIsntJP: We must end the pernicious fiction of "noble gases" being possessed of an unperturbable stability
ThisIsntJP: These "noble gases" may be gaseous, but they are hardly noble, for they are COUNTERREVOLUTIONARY

thelemaman
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sfonzarelli wrote:
As someone who's into Aleister Crowley, my main beef with you guys is that you're giving the uninformed the impression that everyone who's into Aleister Crowley is a humorless quasi-Scientologist minor bureaucrat/pendant incapable of percieving irony and obsessed with sociopolitical legitimacy.

"Enemies have two notable weaknesses.
1. No sense of humor. They simply don't get it.
2. They totally lack understanding of magic.."
-William S. Burroughs

You may have #2 down, but where's #1?

You guys seem to be stuck in 1910 - obsessing over details of Crowley's biography, defending reactionary and outdated aspects of his philosophy, and clinging to gimp incarnations of defunct organizations. You probably still think A.O. Spare is evil. It's as if you guys were physicists who refuse to acknowledge any progress in the field of physics after Einstein because you've built a cult of personality around Einstein. You want to correct misconceptions about your religion and defend your religion from percieved slander and malicious attack - why? Why are you expecting anything constructive to come of immitating the tactics of Mormons, Scientologists, and Wiccans? How do you reconcile this with Crowley's own love of furthering misconception about aspects of his life? Do you honestly think he'd care? Crowley was a mischief-maker and a revolutionary, not a pencil-pusher.

HEy, I have a great sense of humour... Razz.

I have about 15 years study of Thelema but I don't think combining our experiences really amounts to much of anything Yzzy.
Sheikh Gomelez
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sfonzarelli wrote:
Sheikh Gomelez wrote:
DIT: I don't remember mentioning Tom Foley in my post. I believe you were misquoting me... Laughing

MARK FOLEY YOU FAIL

PS, an unrelated AIM conversation my friend and I had

Quote:
sfonzarelli: if the international mainstream community of chemists came together
sfonzarelli: and were like
sfonzarelli: "Chemistry has officially been reclassified as a religion"
sfonzarelli: Marxists would be like
sfonzarelli: DON'T PRACTICE CHEMISTRY
sfonzarelli: RELIGION IS THE OPIATE OF THE MASSES

ThisIsntJP: the practice of chemistry oppresses the proletariat
ThisIsntJP: with their weak collaborationist platitudes to invisible qualities like "covalent bonds" and "catalysis"
ThisIsntJP: they strip the proletariat of its revolutionary will and consciousness
ThisIsntJP: We must end the pernicious fiction of "noble gases" being possessed of an unperturbable stability
ThisIsntJP: These "noble gases" may be gaseous, but they are hardly noble, for they are COUNTERREVOLUTIONARY

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Not only would the Marxists and Marxians (there's a distinction between the two, and both categories subdivide into various interpretations) of my acquaintance laugh at that, they'd probably claim the chemists wanted to sound like Robert Pirsig, and they'd claim the anti-chemistry Marxists came about thanks to Foucault's pernicious influence on the Left and postmodernism's "readings" and "degroundings" of history and scientific knowledge. Or they'd reference Thomas Kuhn's "But I'm not a relativist" phase, or, at their most mild, they'd say it's a slippery road that leads from the Frankfurt School. Razz

The cooler and/or whackier ones would create counter-gags involving Deleuze, Guattari, and Negri.

I'm assuming you're referring to "Marxists" who think Karl Marx was the be and end all of Marxism. Such creatures exist, usually in sideshows-- or online, which is sometimes the same thing. Smile

EDIT: On an unrelated note, if the international mainstream community of chemists came together and were like, "Chemistry has officially been reclassified as a religion," I don't think you'd have to be a Marxist to be all, like, you know, "Dude, that's f***ed up right there. Think the chemists been smokin' a new variety of synthetic rock?" Wink

FURTHER EDIT: Of course, if such a thing ever happened, I'd chalk it up to DMT and/or Salvia divinorum experimentation and to the chemists having conversed with fractal elves. Mainstream chemists as an outer order of priests in the New Church of the Stoned Ape... Wink
cerri30
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Wicca Reply with quote

Quote:
You brought up the Wiccans....and that was a great choice. When the wiccans came onto the scene, witchcraft was considered evil. ANYONE who heard it thought they were sacrificing babies, etc. But, the Wiccans fought against the lies. They fought against the misconceptions. They demanded acceptance. Now, you have shows like Charmed on tv. It's not buying into the old stereotype of witches..it's using the new image that Wicca has put forth. Now THOSE are revolutionaries....

New to this board... checking stuff out and finding this all very interesting. Now as a Wiccan I find the above very amusing. As a Wiccan, I certainly don't run around with my hot sisters killing demons (although they are hot, lol). I don't even believe in demons, lol!! I know what you're trying to say, but this isn't a great example. The "charmed ones" have done little to educate the mainstream about Wicca. A pentacle and a book of shadows do not a Wiccan make.

In fact, I could probably make the same arguments about that show and Wicca that you have about lg15 and Thelema. But that's what happens with fictional entertainment stuff-- those who aren't intimately involved aren't able to really get it right. The best we can hope for is a positive, portrayal, even if it is inaccurate.
Sfonzarelli
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Wicca Reply with quote

cerri30 wrote:
Quote:
You brought up the Wiccans....and that was a great choice. When the wiccans came onto the scene, witchcraft was considered evil. ANYONE who heard it thought they were sacrificing babies, etc. But, the Wiccans fought against the lies. They fought against the misconceptions. They demanded acceptance. Now, you have shows like Charmed on tv. It's not buying into the old stereotype of witches..it's using the new image that Wicca has put forth. Now THOSE are revolutionaries....

New to this board... checking stuff out and finding this all very interesting. Now as a Wiccan I find the above very amusing. As a Wiccan, I certainly don't run around with my hot sisters killing demons (although they are hot, lol). I don't even believe in demons, lol!! I know what you're trying to say, but this isn't a great example. The "charmed ones" have done little to educate the mainstream about Wicca. A pentacle and a book of shadows do not a Wiccan make.

In fact, I could probably make the same arguments about that show and Wicca that you have about lg15 and Thelema. But that's what happens with fictional entertainment stuff-- those who aren't intimately involved aren't able to really get it right. The best we can hope for is a positive, portrayal, even if it is inaccurate.

It's odd how he thinks garbled representation as long as it's positive equals victory for those being represented. If that was the case, how come Native Americans haven't embraced new age hacks and how come black people haven't embraced minstrel shows, Elvis, and Kid Rock?

Danielle
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spaciegirl wrote:

My eyes glaze over too.... maybe its the forum colours.
I like history over math and science, I'd just rather the information come with links, etc so I can do my own research from the resources.
<DTayl> i'm the bad sister
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Her Religion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: