Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First mistery solved: Thelema
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Casieefan
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: First mistery solved: Thelema Reply with quote

New site. Pretty. And check the greek letters on the bottom:

Thelema

Cool

Hurray for Crowley.
dave
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Exactly Reply with quote

What cassieefan is referring to is the greek word at the bottom of the main site:

(this probably isn't going to show up well as it is a transparent image)

which is the ancient greek of Thelema. Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thelema

Also note the header image on the main site:

The star which shows up (at least three times in the image) is the unicursal hexagram, a prominent symbol of Thelema. This symbol re-appears in the bottom image as well.
zeutheir
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The name of the people who "design" the site, where it says at the bottom is "Darbyite Design"...I checked Wikipedia and it redirected me to Plymouth Brethren from searching Darbyites...

EDIT: Just got this from BrethrenPedia

The Brethren were also influential, albeit it in a very negative and tangential manner, in the formation of Thelema, the occult religion created by Aleister Crowley, the noted esotericist.
dave
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice.
mmstar6
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject: More Leading to Thelema Reply with quote

As stated already by most of you there is absolutely no doubt that the religion here is Thelema. For sure known by the Greek letters at the bottom of the page Thelema, Θελημα in Greek, means will. The pictures of Aleister Crowley in the bedroom, the obvious stars repeating themselves in the page graphics, some of the "rituals". Also, if you'll recall a few of the videos containing "proving science wrong" has a lot to do with the Thelema religion.

-"A second definition, sometimes called the "form-based approach," defines religion as any set of beliefs which makes claims that lie beyond the realm of scientific observation, according to some authority or personal experience with the Divine. This narrower definition places "religion" in contradistinction with rationalism, secular humanism, atheism, and agnosticism, which do not appeal to authority or personal experience in coming to their beliefs, but instead appeal to their interpretation of science. "
-"Science and Reason provide authority to believers who regard science and reason as providing answers to many of the fundamental questions asked and answered by religion"

I read on to find that a lot of time in the Thelema religion it's not unusual for one to be cut off from the world in very strict ways so that one may further their religion without interference or other influences. I believe this is why "Bree's" parents are so strict on her. The less outside influences the better. That way she can focus mainly on the religion and the studdies in home school (some of which include anthropology- daniel the neanderthal).

Also, I have searched through various ceremonies and I haven't found one in particular that gives enough details to know for sure which one it is she is preparing for. Does anyone know specifically which one the evidence leads to?
lexgal916
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: creeps me out Reply with quote

as interesting as the story line is...
its still creepy. like the wacked out religion. it's all satanic. and im not some super religious person who is all like *gasp* the devil! but it's still kinda weird that they would make such a story out of a devilish?religion...
GimmeYourForever
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: creeps me out Reply with quote

lexgal916 wrote:
its still creepy. like the wacked out religion. it's all satanic. and im not some super religious person who is all like *gasp* the devil! but it's still kinda weird that they would make such a story out of a devilish?religion...

Thelema is not devil worship.. many don't even considerit "satanic." I think it all depends on how you define "satanic."
zeutheir
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, like I've said before, Thelema is a mystic religion. It's not Pagan per se, and it's certainly not "devil worship" as fundamentalst Christians would have you believe.

I had a pretty informative couple of hours at the library a couple days ago checking out Liber al vel Legis. Anyone interested in finding out more should as well.
Casieefan
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thelema is only satanic when seen from a christian point of view. Think about it as how the religion of the natives of america were seen by the european colonizers. For them it was obviously demonic, but it was just a cult to nature.

Persoally I think Crowley was full of BS. He just had way too much time to spare. His whole religion made less sense than scientology. But as he based most of his works on good source of knowdlege and his followers had a lot of faith, I think Thelema deserves as much respect as any other religion. (except scientology. That's not a religion, just a scam to strip dumb rich actors from their money)

So I hope the whole 'ritual' doesn't turn to be the blood bath some people suggest.
ravensgrace

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: creeps me out Reply with quote

GimmeYourForever wrote:
lexgal916 wrote:

Thelema is not devil worship.. many don't even considerit "satanic." I think it all depends on how you define "satanic."

That's a little too broad of a statement. Anton LaVey did not consider himself "satanic", although he most assuredly was so.
[04:03] <lyriclyinclined> with the exception of a bad apple pucker incident
GimmeYourForever
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i've heard "satanic" being defined as the worship of one's self over or equal to that of God. In that case I think Thelema would be classified as satanic, however it has nothing to do with the worship of satan.
Traegorn
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should also probably be noted (I don't know if anyone else has said it) that October 12th is Crowley's birthday...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kalli182
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol only a zillion times already.. Laughing Razz
Traegorn
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, it's what I get for only doing a cursory board search before posting. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tannhaus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:20 am    Post subject: I think this is all very offensive Reply with quote

I am a thelemite and find it pretty pathetic that these "creators" are bashing my religion. I did an article earlier this year on thelema:

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2006/2/3/4150/04292

I would hope that the creators will think twice before bashing a genuine religion. It's no less despicable than anti-semitism.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Her Religion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: