Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[PUZZLE][SOLVED] 12-9-06 "XX/XY" (Ver. 1.0)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
acidfingers
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, so here is the deal with this puzzle.

The filenames each contained 2 characters: either a letter or a number. Regardless of what they were, all letters and numbers were to be seperated and put into a pile.

Think of it as this, we have wooden blocks with either a letter or a number on them. The filenames are two blocks put together next to each other. So they aren't necessarily attached to each other in the manner in which they appear in the filenames. (The "Horrid Flatmates" video had the filename 6d. This didn't mean we take it as "6d" but rather seperate them into "6" and "d" and put them in the pile)

Once we have all the blocks in the pile, there should be 24 of them. 12 filenames, both with 2 blocks each. 12*2 = 24. The blocks with a letter on them are marked with an 'y' while the blocks with a number on them are marked with an 'X'. We now have everything set up to start building the answer.

Code:
Xy Xy Xy Xy 20 XX XX Xy XX Xy XX XX XX 3f
-----------------------------------------
Yyyy Yyyyyyyy?

Looking at the first sequence in the top row and bottom row, we see that we will need an X block followed by a y block, since it says "Xy". We also can tell from the bottom row that when we convert the two blocks into hex, it must result in a capital letter.

At the very beginning, our block piles look like this

Code:
X Pile:
1, 1, 1, 2, 4, 4, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 7, 9

Code:
y Pile:
b, c, c, d, f, f

For the sake of time, I will assume that we pick all of the right choices. Keep in mind that when actually trying to solve this, you will have to make many choices if you end up being wrong, until you get the answer.

So we must choose an X and a y. We choose 4 from the X pile, and choose c from the y pile.

Now that we've taken blocks out of the piles, they no longer have that block in them.

Code:
X Pile:
1, 1, 1, 2, 4, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 7, 9

Code:
y Pile:
b, c, d, f, f

Now we put the blocks together like the text file shows, Xy, X = 4 and y = c. This gives us 4C. Do a normal hex->ascii and that ends up being the letter 'L'. We see that this is a capital letter so it fits the character mask in the bottom line of the text file.

Then for each of the other characters, we do the same.

Key parts about this are the reducing piles of blocks. When you use a block from a pile, it is no longer there, and cannot be used again. It's also important to remember that the numbers and letters as they appear in the filenames is completely meaningless, as they are meant to be seperated and treated as two seperate blocks.

The reason why some people guessed the answer towards the beginning was because the way the characters were paired up for the filenames coincidentally were the same as they needed to be paired up to solve the puzzle. I think this was an oversight by Tachyon, as it gave us quite a few letters even though we were going about it in completely incorrect ways.
[13:09:39] <marlasinger> acid's like a pussy sore, if you keep playing with it it just gets worse.
Aja
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant, acid!

Just a note to add - we were given an extra 1 and not enough 9's, so we end up with a 61 (lowercase "a") instead of a 69 (lowercase "i")... so this method does indeed give you "Look Familaar" (with the misspelling) which is exactly what Tach confirmed in her email.

edit: to shorten it up.

Last edited by Aja on Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:45 am; edited 2 times in total
diastres
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting it entirely in code so I don't have to worry about formatting.

Code:

Take the following and count the number of occurances of each character.
1c 1f 4c 6b 6d 6f 46 61 62 66 67 69

value | 1 2 4 6  7 9 b c d f
count | 3 1 2 10 1 1 1 2 1 2

Possible XX combinations:  41 42 44 46 47 49 61 62 64 66 67 69 71 72 74 76 79 = ABDFGIabdfgiqrtvy
Possible Xy combinations:  4b 4c 4d 4f 6b 6c 6d 6f  = KLMOklmo

Xy Xy Xy Xy 20 XX XX Xy XX Xy XX XX XX 3f
-----------------------------------------
Yyyy Yyyyyyyy?

I think we could use the first way as a basis, to find the two upper case letters, the Xy 'L' and XX 'F'.

L = 4c
F = 46

Remove those from the counts.

1 2 4 6 7 9 b c d f
3 1 0 9 1 1 1 1 1 2

Possible XX combinations:  61 62 64 66 67 69 71 72 74 76 79 = abdfgiqrtvy
Possible Xy combinations:  6b 6c 6d 6f  = klmo

L___ F_______?

We can only use combinations from Xy (klmo) for the first word.  L needs to be followed by o.  We really only found Look and Loom for likely words, and I'm not sure what kind of two word question starts with Loom.  So we'll use Look.

Look F_______?

o = 6f x2
k = 6b

1 2 6 7 9 b c d f
3 1 6 1 1 0 1 1 0

Possible Xy combinations:  6c 6d = lm

Look F _ l/m _ l/m _ _ _?

F can only be followed by a or i since the third letter is l or m.  Also note that the two Xy places CAN'T be the same because there's only one 'c' (l) left and one 'd' (m) left.

Fal_m___
Fam_l___
Fil_m___
Fim_l___

This is where I broke out http://www.math.toronto.edu/jjchew/scrabble/lists/index.html because obviously I don't want to waste my time if there's no possible word to fit that combination.

Familiar was the only one left that could possibly fit when I used the 8-letter common dictionary.  But we'll start with just what I gave above.

Fam_l___

a = 61
m = 6d
l = 6c

1 2 6 7 9 c d
2 1 3 1 1 0 0

Possible Xy combinations:  None, but that's fine since all of our Xys are covered.

i = 69 x2
a = 61
r = 72

1 2 6 7 9
1 0 0 0 -1

Huh, so obviously there was a mistake somewhere.  But switch 69 to 61 and you get Familaar like in Tach's letter to Sphinx (see the archive).  My assumption is there was a typo or mistake somewhere when it was being made.

Look Familaar?

Last edited by diastres on Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:48 am; edited 1 time in total
sphinx
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you acid, dias and Sparkles_bot!
JuJu Bean
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aja wrote:
diastres wrote:
covedweller wrote:
Any consensus on what we think Look Familaar means? How would Brother know Gemma?

I've mentioned this on IRC, but I guess I'll throw it out here.

In "It's Not Your Decision," Gemma mentions a boy Sam that she wasn't allowed to see anymore once her parents found out she had a crush. Perhaps Brother is Sam?

Interesting idea. Seems like a good possibility... Has anyone who's friendly with Tach asked her about it before?

Kinda funny I actually came up with that idea last night and sent Tachyon a message asking if she knew Sam..or maybe even if Sam knew Gemma and maybe some of Gemma's family or even some other people thought that her family didn't "subscribe" to their views...I have never e-mailed before so I told Tachyon this and also asked her to nudge me in a better direction if possible....We'll see if she replies.
JuJu Bean
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: On another note... Reply with quote

There are def. holes in this theory. In early videos it seems like Tachyon was involved in the religion or with someone waiting for something to happen...her beat was much more optimistic. Also it seems like she was jealous of a sibling she wasn't the most important as noted in the Disneyland thing.

She also sent a video to her watcher. Red flags go up at that.

She noted that she was sending her things out via a courier so did brother get this interception? So brother is hiding this?...I'm a tad confused on that since I thought Tachyon was, but then she says brother took you on a date to the bowling alley. Did we ever figure out who the girlfriend was that called?

Just getting opinion on things I've thought about and am confused about. Thanks!
Nieriel.Manwathiel
Owen's Helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why think "look familaar" is a typo?? NUTHIN in here (er, next-to-nuthin) has been an accident!

btw, i looked it up, it's dutch. "familiaar" is dutch. perhaps bro/tachy be dutch?
diastres
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: On another note... Reply with quote

JuJu Bean wrote:
There are def. holes in this theory. In early videos it seems like Tachyon was involved in the religion or with someone waiting for something to happen...her beat was much more optimistic. Also it seems like she was jealous of a sibling she wasn't the most important as noted in the Disneyland thing.

She noted that she was sending her things out via a courier so did brother get this interception? So brother is hiding this?...I'm a tad confused on that since I thought Tachyon was, but then she says brother took you on a date to the bowling alley. Did we ever figure out who the girlfriend was that called?

Just getting opinion on things I've thought about and am confused about. Thanks!

What does that have to do with "Brother" potentially being Sam? Tachy has said they're not biological siblings.

Or maybe it's a different theory you're talking about?

Nieriel.Manwathiel wrote:
why think "look familaar" is a typo?? NUTHIN in here (er, next-to-nuthin) has been an accident!

btw, i looked it up, it's dutch. "familiaar" is dutch. perhaps bro/tachy be dutch?

From Tachyon's pm to Sphinx:
"but if you've ever read anything he's typed out with those 5th grade remedial english typing skills of his, maybe it will 'Look Familaar?'"

This heavily suggests that it was really just a typo. Plus Sparkles_Bot in #operationaphid told us so. Smile (Also helped explain the long things acid and I have written recently. Hence sphinx thanking them.)

Aside from that, I really hope we're not expected to learn other languages to figure this out. Not to mention "Look" was in English.
Nieriel.Manwathiel
Owen's Helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: On another note... Reply with quote

diastres wrote:
JuJu Bean wrote:

What does that have to do with "Brother" potentially being Sam? Tachy has said they're not biological siblings.

Or maybe it's a different theory you're talking about?

Nieriel.Manwathiel wrote:

From Tachyon's pm to Sphinx:
"but if you've ever read anything he's typed out with those 5th grade remedial english typing skills of his, maybe it will 'Look Familaar?'"

This heavily suggests that it was really just a typo. Plus Sparkles_Bot in #operationaphid told us so. Smile (Also helped explain the long things acid and I have written recently. Hence sphinx thanking them.)

Aside from that, I really hope we're not expected to learn other languages to figure this out. Not to mention "Look" was in English.

i was thinking 5th-grade english like he can't always write it well (writing and speaking a language can be very different; i'm in the 1010 level of japanese). also, i was thinking that a mix of english/dutch would be akin to spanglish. Wink but if sumthin else's been confirmed, then 'kay.
ladron121
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note on the whole "Gemma connection" with this drop. A few people are assuming that the XX/Xy puzzle solution of "Look Familiar?" means that brother should recognize Gemma, that Gemma is involved with this. But maybe it doesn't have such a narrow meaning?

The .rar file was filled with videos. Maybe by watching the vids, brother was supposed to see something familiar (Look Familiar?) The situation's that Gemma describes, the advice she gives, the information about The Order she passes on, may be meant to remind brother of someone else.

Just a thought.
Ziola
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ladron121 wrote:
Just a note on the whole "Gemma connection" with this drop. A few people are assuming that the XX/Xy puzzle solution of "Look Familiar?" means that brother should recognize Gemma, that Gemma is involved with this. But maybe it doesn't have such a narrow meaning?

The .rar file was filled with videos. Maybe by watching the vids, brother was supposed to see something familiar (Look Familiar?) The situation's that Gemma describes, the advice she gives, the information about The Order she passes on, may be meant to remind brother of someone else.

Just a thought.

And yet another reason we all love Lad!!
weetziebat05
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay for lad! *throws a party* lol
FallingIntoSin
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ladron121 wrote:

Just a thought.

Lad. Stop being so smart Twisted Evil !
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
"Men think if women are grabbing and clawing at each other there's a chance they might somehow you know... kiss." --Jerry Seinfeld, on the appeal of Catfights
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sphinx
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recalling the 12/1 craigslist puzzle and the "love letter", Tachyon writes to brother:

Quote:
Knowing what you dealt with awhile back really helped me put things in perspective. It helped me make peace with that part of my past, because I realized that my sister was never the enemy. There are other people to blame for creating that situation, but I also blame myself for not even trying to do anything about it except act like a spoiled brat.

But your situation is different in many ways…it’s almost the opposite actually. Although from what you’ve told me, maturity was neither of your strong suits (so at least we have that in common). Still, I know that how it all played out left a really bad taste in your mouth that you’ll probably carry around for the rest of your adulthood (the same way I held onto mine to the point where it almost ruined what little childhood I could cling to).

And yes, you can at least feel better about blaming yourself for the mess you got yourself into because a lot of it was actually your fault. (I may suck at sympathy, but writing it out really does wonders for my own issues LOL).

However, there might be an opportunity for you to resolve some of these feelings that you are still carrying around, or at the very least maybe settle the score. I’ll tell you more about it in a few days, once I do a little more research, because I want to be absolutely sure--plus there's another pressing task at hand that needs to be dealt with, once and for all.

I don’t want to ruin the surprise, and you shouldn’t get your hopes up yet, but I will tell you this much: We’re not going on vacation and no one is going to Disneyland, but if what I suspect turns out to be true, well...it damn well proves that it’s a small world after all.

A few days later (2), we have the XX/Xy puzzle and the Gemma vids, with Look Familiar?
Tachyon has done her research and is absolutely sure.
With this puzzle, she is telling Brother how she has found an "opportunity" for him to resolve some of his feelings from childhood.
Also, she has finally succeeded in dealing with the pressing task of getting Daniel and Bree to ditch the car.

Usually, when one uses the expression "it's a small world", they mean that although the world is a big place, we sometimes run into people we know, or that know people we know, often when it's unexpected. It isn't really used to describe situations that are similar.

I really like the Brother as Sam idea.

In her "It's Not Your Decision" vid, Gemma tells us the story about Sam, the boy she liked when she was 13. Her mother reads about Sam in Gemma's diary, and tells Gemma she is never to see him again.

Being so young, maturity was neither of their strong suits. Did they immediately stop seeing eachother, or did they continue and get caught?
And, were there maybe consequences imposed on Sam and his family by The Order?

How did Sam feel about this?
Did how it all played out leave a really bad taste in his mouth that he’ll probably carry around for the rest of his adulthood?
Has he made peace with that part of his past, because he realized that "Gemma" was never the enemy? That there were other people to blame for creating that situation?
Can he at least feel better about blaming himself for the mess he got himself into because a lot of it (defiance against Gemma's family) was actually his fault?
Could the consequences have been the reason for Sam joining an organization that was against The Order?

I think we may get a few answers soon. In her pm to me that I posted on the Tachyon email thread, Tachy writes that she may need a ride from brother sometime this week. Her most recent profile update asks about the status of her stuff (in an earlier VM message, Brother said that if Tachy didn't come home soon, Mom and Dad said he could keep her stuff).

Maybe Tachyon, is ready to come home.
And maybe Brother can resolve some of the feelings that he is still carrying around, or at the very least maybe settle the score.

Edit: added a bit

Last edited by sphinx on Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
tiltingwindward
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking back at Gemma's video about Sam. I'm not convinced that Sam is relevant to the storyline, or that Brother and Sam are the same person, but I'll run with the theory for a second in order to tie it in with a theory I posted about a few days ago. What if the reason Gemma's parents discouraged her relationship with Sam was because they had been warned that he was trying to infiltrate the Order? My earlier theory postulated that Tach, along with Brother, Mom, Dad, and Sister had infiltrated the Order at an earlier date by posing as a family on Gemma's commune. Gemma says in her video that her parents knew Sam's family "didn't subscribe to our way of thinking." I've commented before that their response to Sam doesn't sound like Acknowledge their Position and Help Initiate a Dialogue. The quote from Gemma's video sounds a lot more like Sam's family was actively in opposition to the commune's way of life, rather than just ignorant about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> OpAphid: Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: