Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are some Denderah ceremonies? Read inside I reasearched

View previous topic :: View next topic  
emerrs11
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: What are some Denderah ceremonies? Read inside I reasearched Reply with quote

Okay so I have been studying Ancient Egypt in school and came across this during studying. Yes it is rather long but quite interesting.

Ceremonies

Senmut, Hatshepsut's architect and child minder, is holding a measuring cord; Source: Jon Bodsworth Building has always been a major undertaking for man and the beginning of construction has often been an occasion for asking the gods for their good-will, and the end for thanking them. Not much is known about celebrations held by ordinary Egyptians building their houses [11], but foundation and inauguration ceremonies of temples have often been recorded [12].

Senmut, Hatshepsut's architect and child minder, is holding a measuring cord
Source: Jon Bodsworth

My majesty ordered that the foundation ceremony (lit. the line extension) should be prepared [at the approach of] the day of the Feast of the New Moon, to extend the measuring-line upon this monument. In the year 24, second month of the second season, the last day (of the month), on the day of the tenth feast of Amon in ........... the god rested [on] his great throne. After this, I proceeded [after] (my) father, Amon; the god proceeded at his going to celebrate this his beautiful feast. The majesty of this god marveled ..........; this god [assum]ed the station [for] the extension of the [measuring-line]. He set his majesty before him at this monument ........... [the majesty] of this god proceeded; the beautiful feast was celebrated [for] my lord. Then I went to do the extending of the measuring-line upon which ............. before him. He led [... ... ...] the first feast of extending the line. Behold, the majesty of this revered god desired to do the extending of the line himself .........
From the Great Karnak Building Inscription (Year 24 of the reign of Thutmose III)
James Henry Breasted Ancient Records of Egypt, Part Two, § 608

An inscription in the Horus temple at Edfu refers to the importance of stars in finding the right alignment for a temple:

I have grasped the stake along with the handle of the mallet, I take the measuring cord in the company of Seshat. I consider the progressive movement of the stars. My eye is fixed upon the Bull's Thigh constellation. I count off time, scrutinize the clock, and establish the corners of thy temple.
E. C. Krupp, Echoes of the Ancient Skies: The Astronomy of Lost Civilizations, Courier Dover, 2003, p.26

Foundation deposit from Deir el Bahri Other ceremonies performed on temple sites included the purification of the ground and the interment of the foundation deposit [13]. This was often a collection of bones, tools broken on purpose, amulets, pottery and the like. Petrie described the deposit he found at Kahun:

Foundation deposit from Deir el Bahri
Source:

In the middle of the temple area a hole 31 inches square was excavated in the rock about four feet deep, to contain the foundation deposits. Into this the four sets of objects were thrown, without any arrangement or order. Each set of models consisted of a small chisel, long chisel, wide chisel, long knife , large pointed knife, small pointed knife, and hatchet, all of bronze ; a pair of corn rubbers of brown sandstone; and two strings of carnelian beads, averaging about a foot in length. Two or three pieces of green carbonate of copper ore, and a piece of galena were also thrown in. Over these a quantity of pottery vessels was placed ...... And some baskets, and straw or fibre, accompanied the deposit.
W.M.Flinders Petrie Kahun, Gurob and Hawara

The completion of a temple was marked by ritual purification of the site, dedication ceremonies and sacrifices

Not sure what you people can make of it but I think it might help. Especially because of the ORDER OF DENDERAH. Which the temple was built by Cleopatra, who later killed herself.
girlAnachronism
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's easier to understand what's the source and what's your own words if you put it in quotes. I'm not really sure I understand what this is supposed to be. An egyptian diary translated by Bosworth? I don't quite get what it is, though it seems interesting. The tools, especially the knives, help support the idea that the ceremony will involve some sort of physical sacrifice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Her Religion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: