Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

An Apology, and Some Comments
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tiltingwindward
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: An Apology, and Some Comments Reply with quote

First off, let me apologize for not being around yesterday to help keep things organized. As the primary IRC op, I'm responsible for keeping the chat on topic and civil and as a forum mod, all hands were clearly needed on deck. Please count on me in the future; I won't let you guys down like that again.

Now.

As previously stated, I wasn't around yesterday, so I don't know what happened or who said what to whom, and for the most part, I don't want to know. It's pretty clear to me that everyone said things they should be regretting by now, and that it's time to move on. That said, I have some comments. Please accept them in the spirit in which they are given, which is that of a veteran of LG15 who remembers when she was a newbie, and would like the game to keep being fun for all.

IRCers: Remember (I know you haven't forgotten) that not everyone can get into the IRC, and not everyone wants to. That doesn't mean that people don't want to play the game. The forums are crucial to the game, and are by no means a secondary means of communication. This means two things--1. don't put down or ignore forum comments just because they're on the forums, and 2. Go read and update the forums yourself to make sure youand others actually know what's going on. Tolerance and understanding are key.

Forum only-ers: The chat, by virtue of its nature, moves faster and is a more efficient medium for communication of information. If you're working only on the forum, please just be aware that sometimes you may be told that your great insight has already been discovered--and sometimes, people are a bit short in these messages because they need to get back to the chat and figure out what they missed. Patience and understanding are key.

OpA/Tach Ancientry (people who were playing before OpA went canon): We know a lot. We have seen a lot. Frequently, we are right. But that doesn't mean that we can miss a clue, or that some young upstart can't figure something out before we do. I know it's sometimes frustrating to have all sorts of new people around asking the same old question we've heard 4,000 times before, but that doesn't give us a reason to assume that new people don't know anything and are worthless to the game. Think back (if you can) to a time when you were just getting a feel for the whole OpA (or, probably CiW) experience and wanted to ask a lot of stupid questions. Remember that we belong in the chat and in the forums, and that our good example is powerful because we have all that experience under our belts. There was once a time when we were known as the friendliest boards on the whole LG15 forums. Let's try to go back to that happier time.

OpA/Tach Tweens (people who joined after OpA went canon, but before The Great Plot Drought): You guys are especially important, because you're still new enough to remember what it was like not to know anything, but experienced enough to have some insights to share with even newer people. Don't fall into the trap of resenting newbies for their newness or the older vets for their stodgy ways. And above all, stay on topic and follow our house rules! You've lived under the rules--act like it.

OpA/Tach Upstarts (people who joined after The Great Plot Drought began): I believe that the vast majority of you are intelligent, entertaining people who truly want to help. It's completely understandable that you want to share your thoughts and get frustrated when it looks like they get ignored just because you're new. You're entitled to a little frustration. But please also keep in mind that you ARE new, and that it takes a little while to become really familiar with the characters of this game and how they operate. Also, there are people, no matter how much you dislike them, who have played this game longer than you have, and have a lot of that inherent knowledge. Please ask questions and make suggestions, but remember that there is a time and a place for everything. The chat or the forums in the middle of a drop is NOT that time or place. Seek out a mod or an op or a vet you respect and plug them with your questions in a PM (I'm sure there are many people on both sides who can attest to how well this system works). Before you ask questions, read the available information to make sure you aren't missing anything . If someone directs you to a thread or the 'pedia, they probably have a reason for doing so. And if you make a suggestion about plot or character interaction and everyone in the vicinity rolls their eyes and gnashes their teeth, it probably has nothing to do with you and only means that your suggestion has been discussed to death. We love you and want you to play with us, but remember that you ARE new and do not see everything from an ingenious and unprecedented perspective.

Everyone: We are all human (or at least masquerading as such, so back in your box, shifty). We all get excited, frustrated, irritated, tired, and drunk. Let's remember that we're dealing with fellow humans here, and not having to look at their faces when we say offensive and hurtful things is not an excuse to let your personal restraints go. Also, when we say things in anger or strong emotion, sometimes we regret it later. Holding grudges at this point is, in my opinion, completely pointless and will only make us a less effective team later. Sure, someone said something mean to you last night. Let it go, and approach the people you said mean things to with respect and a blank slate in the future.

I and the other mods/ops are going to be working on some things in the near future which will hopefully help keep things running more smoothly. Please be patient with us as we work out the bugs.

I am happy to read comments/replies to this post, but please be aware that I will delete immediately and without any appeal any personal attacks against individuals in this thread. I am only interested in constructive comments or general observations. Thank you.
ladron121
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tilt, bottom line is we are lost without you. And even though you snub me every time you come to California, I still missed you Smile
tiltingwindward
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Lad....my well of guilt over my CA deliquency could drown a nation. When I finally do visit you, I'll make it up to you by bringing you some nice cake of a specific nature.
fuzzy_bunny85
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I'm sure this is going to make me sound like a total n00b, but is the IRC the live chat?

And your so sweet, tilt. I would have doled out spankings and sent everyone to their room. Wink
tiltingwindward
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IRC is indeed the live chat (our room is #operationaphid).

And the spankings are coming later...for the worthy.

I mean, did I say that out loud? Wink
FallingIntoSin
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tiltingwindward wrote:
IRC is indeed the live chat (our room is #operationaphid).

And the spankings are coming later...for the worthy.

I mean, did I say that out loud? Wink

Ooooh! Can I have the first spanking, por favor??

And Tilt, to echo Lad, we would be lost without you! I'm glad your our fearless leader! And I promise to try and behave better Smile (at least when you're looking Twisted Evil )
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
"Men think if women are grabbing and clawing at each other there's a chance they might somehow you know... kiss." --Jerry Seinfeld, on the appeal of Catfights
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tiltingwindward
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you know by now, Falling? I'm always looking. At least, at you. Smile
FallingIntoSin
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tiltingwindward wrote:
Don't you know by now, Falling? I'm always looking. At least, at you. Smile

Because I'm hawt?? or because I'm evil?? Twisted Evil
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
"Men think if women are grabbing and clawing at each other there's a chance they might somehow you know... kiss." --Jerry Seinfeld, on the appeal of Catfights
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tiltingwindward
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must I choose between the two?
Danielle
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been playing this game for too long.
<DTayl> i'm the bad sister
Sad Panda
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..... Never, EVER leave again.

I'm serious.
tiltingwindward
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad Panda wrote:
..... Never, EVER leave again.

I'm serious.

Yes'm.

I've learned my lesson good'n'well. I shall abandon all other pursuits and attend to my duties.
Ziola
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good.

'Cuz we don't play well with other children without adult supervision. Wink
bethy
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to suggest that when people ask for specific clarification about something in a summary thread, they not be told simply "it was confirmed" or "don't worry about it" or "it's not game related" or something vague along those lines. Answers should be given with details and reference links.

People ask questions for a reason. If the summary isn't clear, then it should be edited to be more clear without arguing, insults or dictates. New people, especially, don't always understand. It's better to be specific and long winded than short and vague.

Sometimes the summaries are not specific enough or they lead to more questions. Good summaries will avoid unwanted questions.
tiltingwindward
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bethy, I agree that sometimes the summaries are not everything we wish they could be. However, having written some of them, I also understand that the point of those summaries is to summarize, not just recreate the previous long-winded debate/series of events. When someone make a public comment saying that they aren't finding the summaries sufficient, then I usually PM them and offer to clarify things. Usually, some one-on-one attention works better and quicker than a summary anyway.

However, if you see something in the summaries that is specifically lacking, please feel free to write something up and send it to me, or to point it out to myself or shifty (who does the Aphidpedia).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> OpAphid: Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: