Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flame Wars
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Concerns and Complaints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sad Panda
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tigerlilylynn wrote:
bethy wrote:
Additionally, two other forum users have alerted me to two different off-board locations (whre I don't participate) where the flames are further fanned, brought back over here.

There are 3 of us??? I know about Anchor Cove. UnForums effectivly gave up on this game and I know there was a CIW board but that died out. 0_o

Also, I <3 Gogo ^_^

Yah, GulliotineCalamity made a forum too. Somewhere.
TJ Marsh
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think people should resect each others feelings.
bethy
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think it is entirely appropriate to lock threads where posters have resorted to this tactic when logic fails them.

I agree with this completely. The problem, tough, is recognizing the difference between discussion and personal attacks.

Let's take American Idol...

Simon Cowell tells a singer, "Sweetheart, you're tone deaf. That was dreadful."

That's an honest assesment...especially if the person really IS tone deaf. It's not an attack, but actual criticism of a situation. Of course, it always helps to give words of encouragment or something positive in addition...but we often forget to do that.

Now, Simon tells another singer, "You remind me of those little animals in the forest...what do you call them...bushbabies?"

Well...okay, that's a bit of an attack because even though he's a terrible singer, Simon resorted to commenting on his physical appearance.

(in this case...the resemblance was quite remarkble to a bush baby...but it was rude nonetheless and he really shouldn't have said that)

Quote:

I guess I have yet to see these healthy flame wars. So far, there's been nothing productive coming out of a flame war or antagonistic and aggressive debate.

I have. Not here...but I have seen many of them. One of the reasons they don't happen here is because threads are locked too early and it becomes like the squashed bug. Also, it's because some of the people with the locking powers use it for their own benefit rather than adressig the issue (no not just recently...I'vve seen this several times over the last few months...different people).

The healthy ones I've seen often get kind of nasty...but eventually come to an end with mutual respect or understanding. SUre, they can be difficult to follow..but sometimes it's best to leave them alone...or, as a moderator, keep the discussion on track...deleteing just the truly insulting comments rather than locking the enitre thread.

Quote:
I think people should resect each others feelings.

Unfortunately, that's become a really politically correct cliche that people constantly misinterpret. 'Respect' is something that is earned...Deference and courteousness what people really mean there.

Example: I have absolutely no respect for a certain political figure. I happen to totally disagree with her politics and her methods of doing things. However, because she's an elected official, and people elected her...I should be courteous to her when we interact and show deference to her opinions. I don't have to agree with her...and I can certainly argue the merits of her position, even in a heated manner, without insulting her or "respecting" her.

Now, if I call her a shrew...as I am oft wanting to do...that's just not really nice of me. Laughing
bethy
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There are 3 of us???

Well, one was a message board...the other was youtube comments.
Killthesmiley
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ahve my opinions on the situation, and it's getting really bad. I seriously have never bee nattack this bad in any forum I've ever been a member in.
And I think the bigger issue is the fact that OUR fourm..meaning THIS forum we're chatting in right now, has a HORRIBLE reputation in the boards that participate in the Breeniverse. And god I mean HORRIBLE. Not only that, but the SITE in general has a bad rep because of the fucking (sorry...but the only way i can express how ba it is, is to swear)drama.

These flame wars are ruining LG for not only us as vetrans but for strangers!!!

My post is still being hashed over, and i'm still considering posting it. Right now the only way I'd post it is if I could lock it immediately afterwards. Other then that, if you would like to read it please feel free to PM me, I will give you a link to somewheres where I have actually posted it.

YOU: Who does that KTS think she is? Total bitch!

ME: I think I'm you, only better.

~Kelly, KMurr, and Kellylen <3~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bethy
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTS, I understand what you mean.

I have a problem with locking threads immediately after the first post, though...because sometimes there really is a misconception that shoudl be cleared up or somebody might want to apologize or something like that. In some cases the original post contains falsehoods or has an agenda of some kind. (NOt saying you do, though)

I understand wanting to lock it to avoid "drama". If you think your posts is going to cause problems and want it locked...then it's probably because you know it will piss some people off and is probably worth rethinking. heaven knows I've stopped myself from posting a few things myself. I'm a little more daring about it than others sometimes...and I certiainly am not afraid to let my voice be heard...but that's because some people don't want to cause waves.

I do think everyone's observations should be considered, though. Even the ones that might be difficult for others to swallow. I include myself in that.

Cough syrup is really nasty stuff. But if you're sick, it's good for you. Excercises sucks...but it's good for you. The point? Sometims we have to endure a little unpleasantness, because in the end it makes us better people.

Last edited by bethy on Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Luminous
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My post is still being hashed over, and i'm still considering posting it. Right now the only way I'd post it is if I could lock it immediately afterwards.

I can certainly sympathize with this Kelly. I can't begin to tell you how many posts I have begun and then deleted, knowing the attack they would provoke. However, I agree with Bethy, as quoted below:

Quote:

I have. Not here...but I have seen many of them. One of the reasons they don't happen here is because threads are locked too early and it becomes like the squashed bug. Also, it's because some of the people with the locking powers use it for their own benefit rather than adressig the issue (no not just recently...I'vve seen this several times over the last few months...different people).

The healthy ones I've seen often get kind of nasty...but eventually come to an end with mutual respect or understanding. SUre, they can be difficult to follow..but sometimes it's best to leave them alone...or, as a moderator, keep the discussion on track...deleteing just the truly insulting comments rather than locking the enitre thread.

When threads are locked, the problems only smolder to come back again another day with all the more fury.

Personally, I feel there are a few bullies who are being allowed to run amok, and are inciting most of the problems. Locking the thread when they walk into the room and stir things up only gives them more power.
Taig
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zzzzzzzz....wh-wha-what!!? Is someone talking about me?
Killthesmiley
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taig wrote:
Zzzzzzzz....wh-wha-what!!? Is someone talking about me?

Actually Taig I don't see you as a big problem starter. I see that you "flame wars" are actually heat debates, and very informed and well orginized at that.
Although sometime the arguments are ..dare I say... stubborn, thats often found in debates.
What i'm discussing is actual harrassing and slanderous comments made to people

("You guys get a life," "Stop coming on the damn forum, theres no room for superfans," ect. ect.)

YOU: Who does that KTS think she is? Total bitch!

ME: I think I'm you, only better.

~Kelly, KMurr, and Kellylen <3~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
robtomorrow
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am curious as to what "flame wars" are being talked about, I have engaged in some debates but I didn't see them as being "flame wars". If by "flame wars" you mean debates then I don't see the problem. If you don't expect to be disagreed with at times then you shouldn't be posting.

That being said, I have seen on a couple of occasions where the debates did get out of hand and degenerated into name calling and personal insults, and in those instances I think it was appropriate to lock the thread.

If these instances consistently involve one particular individual then I think that individual should be removed from the user list.
Taig
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's kind of you Smiley...although there are some that might not agree. Particularly that fuzzy brained vine swinging lughead CG

Cool
TJ Marsh
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tottally agree Confused
Taig
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See CG...Iris thinks you are a lughead too!
spaciegirlreturn
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could this be any more passive-aggressive?!
bethy
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am curious as to what "flame wars" are being talked about,

Oh, I'm sure we can all think of some specifics. I can think of at least 4 I've seen in the last few months.

Spacie...don't worry. It's not all about you. Trust me... Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Concerns and Complaints All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 2 of 21

Jump to: