Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[DISCUSSION] Locations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ladron121
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could have sworn that there was a PUZZLE THREAD for this type of thing...

You know, it has a big title on it that says its for puzzles. So I can avoid it, like the bird flu...
deagol
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ladron121 wrote:

You know, it has a big title on it that says its for puzzles. So I can avoid it, like the bird flu...

Sorry Lad, but this isn't really a puzzle... it wouldn't really fit the puzzle thread as we're just discussing/defining a new encoding methodology. It does make sense to split it into a new thread. We could call it "[bird flu] continued fractions encoding" if you like.

Balmung, thanks for keeping up with me and following along, it's good to bounce these crazy ideas off of others. And I apologize to everyone else who's getting a headache from this. It's tilting's fault! Razz

Balmung wrote:
could you possibly encode a location using a continued fraction?

[degrees N, minutes, seconds, degrees W, minutes, seconds]

Sure you can, however no negative numbers are allowed except for the first number, so I'm not sure how you would differentiate between E or W latitudes.

Balmung wrote:
in the long run, i'm sure 10033 is either completely random, or it's significance is either so small or so obscure that no one will find out i's true meaning before it is revealed.

it's sure fun to look, though.

[not to mention i learned a new code Very Happy]

Yeah I don't see any more significance to 10033 other than the reference to 1033 in "Y: The Last Man." It started as a way to play with 10033 while jesting with tilt, but this encoding scheme has caught my attention.

Balmung wrote:
p.s. is it universally accepted that a = 27, or did you come up with the idea of using continued fractions as a code just now? if so, one would think a could be 2, b =3 , etc. with z being 27.

Yup, I just came up with all of this; it struck me as an interesting idea that might work, and it does. So yes, there needs to be an agreement about the character mapping (ascii allows for punctuation, numbers and upper/lower case). This mapping could be a standard or it could be changed on a per-message basis, sort of like a key.

Another use of 10033 could be in a sort of key-like device to obscure the code by adding 10033 to the final encoded numbers. Using that last "santaa nellaa dropa" example:

Unobscured: 12299/617
Add 10033: 22332/10650
[2,10,3,7,1,6]
Decoded: BJCGAF

Unobscured: 21792/1535
Add 10033: 31825/11568
[2,1,3,55,2,1,2,1,4]
Decoded: BAC?BABAD

Unobscured: 18756/4625
Add 10033: 28789/14658
[1,1,26,1,4,2,1,1,1,5,2]
Decoded: AAZADBAAAEB

Ends up pretty nicely obscured as "bjcgaf bac?babad aazadaaaeb"
ApotheosisAZ
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balmung wrote:

deagol wrote:
Sure you can, however no negative numbers are allowed except for the first number, so I'm not sure how you would differentiate between E or W latitudes.

Simply proving that I don't really understand, I suppose, but I think you would multiply by the imaginary number i, squared. The result would be negative if you did; positive if you didn't.

Also, latitude 33.001 does run next to two places of interest. San Diego, California, and Roswell, New Mexico.

Ziola
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

I hate all of you...
deagol
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol crazy Apo and his alien conspiracies...

and no continued fractions can't have imaginary numbers. Just positive integers, or any integer in the first position.
CrazyIvan1745
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just an update on me... the snow is messing things up a bit and I am not havin much luck on finding stuff on Google Earth.... I am also busy with other projects in the real world..... (plus lookin at a college next weekend) So I will not be able to do a whole lot until next Tues.... and even then who knows... but for now deagol keep at it lol who knows maybe you'll give me coordinates. (which I have tried a bit)
tiltingwindward
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I refuse to accept the blame for Deagol's inability to stand down from a challenge. Smile You all have only yourselves to blame...although I fully sympathize with Lad fear that this virus will become transferable among humans and we will soon all be delirious in mathspeak.
CrazyIvan1745
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am already denying the temptation to fully hop in and start helping... I love math lol
Balmung
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deagol wrote:
ladron121 wrote:

Sorry Lad, but this isn't really a puzzle... it wouldn't really fit the puzzle thread as we're just discussing/defining a new encoding methodology. It does make sense to split it into a new thread. We could call it "[bird flu] continued fractions encoding" if you like.

Balmung, thanks for keeping up with me and following along, it's good to bounce these crazy ideas off of others. And I apologize to everyone else who's getting a headache from this. It's tilting's fault! Razz

Balmung wrote:

Balmung wrote:
in the long run, i'm sure 10033 is either completely random, or it's significance is either so small or so obscure that no one will find out i's true meaning before it is revealed.

it's sure fun to look, though.

[not to mention i learned a new code Very Happy]

Yeah I don't see any more significance to 10033 other than the reference to 1033 in "Y: The Last Man." It started as a way to play with 10033 while jesting with tilt, but this encoding scheme has caught my attention.

Balmung wrote:
p.s. is it universally accepted that a = 27, or did you come up with the idea of using continued fractions as a code just now? if so, one would think a could be 2, b =3 , etc. with z being 27.

Yup, I just came up with all of this; it struck me as an interesting idea that might work, and it does. So yes, there needs to be an agreement about the character mapping (ascii allows for punctuation, numbers and upper/lower case). This mapping could be a standard or it could be changed on a per-message basis, sort of like a key.

Another use of 10033 could be in a sort of key-like device to obscure the code by adding 10033 to the final encoded numbers. Using that last "santaa nellaa dropa" example:

Unobscured: 12299/617
Add 10033: 22332/10650
[2,10,3,7,1,6]
Decoded: BJCGAF

Unobscured: 21792/1535
Add 10033: 31825/11568
[2,1,3,55,2,1,2,1,4]
Decoded: BAC?BABAD

Unobscured: 18756/4625
Add 10033: 28789/14658
[1,1,26,1,4,2,1,1,1,5,2]
Decoded: AAZADBAAAEB

Ends up pretty nicely obscured as "bjcgaf bac?babad aazadaaaeb"

holy crap haha yeah

of course the biggest thing here is that as cool as this code is, there's no way that 10033 is encoded using continued fractions, since you just made up it's usage as a code right now lol

but the apo's latitude thing is interestingg.. Very Happy
CrazyIvan1745
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried using 10033 as a longitude and latitude and found so possible points in CA. no matter how you re arrange the numbers or add decimals ar using minutes/seconds. So either thats not what it is or it decodes to something then THAT # is a longitude latitude. Then, the possiblities even for CA alone would be too large to get any info... I think 10033 means something other than a coordinate. When most people choose a # for a screenname they use a 2-4 digit #, very rarely do you see a 5 digit number. So, I also do not believe it is random. But an address tends to have 5 digits... There can't be THAT many houses with 10033 as their address... Thats my opinion.
CrazyIvan1745
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right... well still nothing new I can work into...tried other math equation on that damn # and still have nothing.... 10033 looks random to me...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> OpAphid: Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: