Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I have picked a major that I really love....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Get to Know Each Other
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krmurr87
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: I have picked a major that I really love.... Reply with quote

and someday i will be living in a cardboard box Very Happy

But seriously ....is this college thing really worth it. Did i make the biggest mistake of my life wasting my parents money and digging myself into so much debt just to go to some school where I'm getting a degree in Fine Arts? I could have stayed home, I could have gotten the degree I originally wanted at another school no problem. blah blah blah it's 2am and LG is my haven
stuart2004
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly don't see the point in most college educations......most of the make you pay 30,000-50,000 and then you come out only making about 30,000 a year....seems almost pointless to me.......

antagonist of the LG Defense Force
krmurr87
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep thats how I'm feeling right about now ...

also the sick gutt wrenching feeling I get every day knowing that most of the kids at my school are well off to begin with and will probably get a well paid job thanks to Daddy's connections , no such luck here
stuart2004
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry that you feel that way..... I hope that you can find a way to make you education a productive career

antagonist of the LG Defense Force
kellylen
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kels its not always like that though.

im rather well off but I'm working my ASS off to get my degree to get money so I, myself can be well off. and its something I love. and no I have almost no connections.

I think what's most important is that you do what you love, regardless of money Smile you should do what makes you happy.

although it disgusts me that I'm going to be paying.... about $180,000 in the long run D:

oh well graduating a doctor and 6 figures is nice too though :/

but being 200k in debt isnt
spaciegirlreturn
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some people who sorta kinda use their BFAs.....uhh, I'm not one of them, but I've seen it done. I swear. Twisted Evil Good luck with that. What is your major/ desired profession anyway?
PolkadotConfederation
Hymn of One

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I think a college education is worth it. Why? I don't know many people with college degrees who have high paying jobs. In fact, they don't have jobs at all. You'd be surprised what having a college degree can get you. And you know what? It doesn't even matter what you major in. Especially for a bachelors degree (unless you go into a professional field, like law or medicine).

I'm majoring in History and Political Science, and I want to be a filmmaker. History and poli sci don't necessarily help me with my ideal career, but it's important to have that background.

My current boss is the director of continuing education at the university I attend, and her degree is in French literature.. They're not related, but because she had the education she got the good job.

My father was an International Studies major, and he worked as a director at the University in a completely different field, and earned 500,000 dollars a year.

So what you major in doesn't effect the jobs you can get, but having a college education is definitely a neccesary thing if you expect to get a good job quickly.
spaciegirlreturn
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a lot to be said for connections and experience though. You can work your way up without a degree in many many many professions. And just having a degree isn't gonna get you sh*t..no offense. There are a lot of factors involved in getting "the job"...and no one tells you when you're in school that sometimes "the degree" is hugely irrelevant and/or un-neccessary.
kellylen
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it depends though spacie.

if a job is in a high demand you can almost be gauranteed youll get it.

but if it isnt then no.
Sim7lizard
Hymn of One

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I ll get a master degree in something that have no link to my job!!!!
spaciegirlreturn
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously it depends...but I'm just sayin', once you get out of school, you'll be shocked at how little or how much certain things (like your major, your degree...various experiences/ achievements) do or do not matter. It's not usually how you'd think it would be in the real world.
robtomorrow
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't advise anyone to study fine art as a major, unless you are a rich kid and don't need to make a living after finishing school. My advise would be to learn something you can make a living off of, then if you still have the time and desire to pursue art then do so.

I'm speaking from experience. as long as you are still young it is a fun life style, but being poor gets old after a while. I think statistically about 1 in a 100 BFA recipients ever make a living from art.

That said if you still think you can beat the odds, then study at an institution that will give you the best chance to succeed, that means for the most part either Cal Arts, or RISD. or at least at a major University. Snobbishness is the norm is the art world, and the prestige of the school that you studied at is important. Of course that's where money comes into play again because those schools are very expensive.
joygasm
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people I know don't work in a field that they majored in. It seems to me that a degree is very important, but not what the degree is in. I think that most jobs just want to see that you have the discipline, or dedication, to get through school. School is a pain in the ass! I'm sick of it, but around here, if you don't have some kind of degree you are working at a grocery store, factory, or restaurant. I am nearly 25... I got worn out on those jobs 4 years ago... I just want to get through school as quick as possible and get a real job and make real money...

You other girls better back it up! He is mine! Just ask him!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ziola
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to be honest and say that I think it all depends on the person's drive as well. If you are just getting a degree to say you have one, it probably isn't going to do you much good.

I was never able to finish college but I am working in the field I had gone to school for, just in a different capacity. And it was something that I refused to give up on, because I didn't want to be a waitress or a bartender for the rest of my life...
Danielle
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cardboard boxes ftw.
I'm taking my Bach of Public Affairs and Policy Management in Human Rights next year,

no idea what its practical applications are though.
<DTayl> i'm the bad sister
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Get to Know Each Other All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: