Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TravelerJ19 - "Catalyst (You Rang?)" [03/27/2007]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Facility J: Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luminous
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musique wrote:
deagol wrote:

Looks sort of like a song structure... and, that original key for the shifts was a b a c a c a c a d a c.

Please, don't make us analyze the song structures on that stupid album. I think I never want to hear an ukelele again in my life.

Will this help?

http://www.bgfl.org/bgfl/custom/resources_ftp/client_ftp/ks2/music/piano/index.htm

Thanks Musique! That's a very cool link! I played the a b a c a c a c a d a c notes on the virtual Keyboard. I was hoping it might be a tune I would recognize, but no. It's not very musical. No Facility J Theme song here.
Musique
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, Luminous.

What about this (in regards to music)...

Quote:
p. 85

(5) Durational patterns of period

Step 4 thus results in adurational pattern for the first bar. The second bar is either a metric copy of the first bar or an entirely different configuration. In the latter case the procedure is as for the first bar. A choice is made of a permutation of Nē notes compatible with the metric output constraint (27).

In the former case a simple copying is performed again bearing the output constraint in mind. Consequently the rules should allow for both AA and AB as metric patterns. In the following tow bars III and IV no new metric material must be introduced. The third and fourth bars make use only of A or B patterns as far as the output constraints permit.

The closing phrase is invariably a metric copy of the opening phrase. The total inventory of patterns is thus rather restricted. So is that observed in the AT melodies provided that we disregard minor differences between patterns. Melody 3:8 (Mors lilla Olle) has three durational patterns: A B A C A C A C. Since the only difference between the B and C patterns is an interspersed eighth-note it appears justified to describe this tune metrically as A B A B' A B' A B' the B and B' patterns being related by an interspersion transformation. Such differences are likely to be associated with minor irregularities in verse structure.

If regarded as essential they can easily be accounted for in the system of rules by allowing a random perturbation of N by some small number.

You can find the whole research report on this here:

http://www.muslib.se/ebibliotek/STM/STM1970/STM1970nyorienteringar.pdf

Musique
Musique
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, here's another thought, in regards to computers:

Quote:
2.5 Simulation of Probabilistic Machines

Most of the tables of associations that can be written in ILTM and OLTM of Model 2.3 (the model described in section 2.3) correspond to probabilistic machines. For example, the table

A B A C A C A C

0 0 1 0 1 1 1 1

Corresponds to the probabilistic combinatorial ma-
chine with conditional probabilities P(1|A) = 3/4,
P(0|A) = 1/4, P(1|B) = 0, P(0|B) = 1,
P(1|C) = 2/3, and P(0|C) = 1/3.

The evaluation of the numbers of tables of associations correspond-
ing to deterministic and probabilistic machines can be found in [4]. It is easy to prove that Model 2.3 can simulate an arbitrary probabilistic combinatorial machine with rational probabilities, provided n2 can be made arbitrarily large.

The information for this can be found at this link:

Universal Learning Neurocomputers

http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:lKiF0pnxJvoJ:www.brain0.com/neurocomputers.pdf+a+b+a+c+a+c+a+c+pattern&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Musique
ignatzmouse
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deagol wrote:
TravelerJ19 wrote:
That is the only sequence you need. Some of the numbers you are using have an obvious similarity that will tell you how to deal with everything else you have. I'm not sure what else to tell you. I'm getting nervous about hanging on to these vials for so long.

DeagolTheStoor wrote:

> Ok, 6(-6) 6(+1) 6(-6) 12(-4) 6(-6) 12(-4) 6(-6) 12(-C) 6(-6) 6(-5) 6(-6) 12(-4)
>
> Sorry, nothings coming to me.

Hmm, obvious similarities:

Well there's six 6(-6)s which are of the form x(-x).
There's six 6(-6)s, four 12(-4)s, one 6(1), oh and a 6(-5) which doesn't fit.
All the numbers are x(y) where x is a multiple of y. Oh, apart from 6(-5) again.

I tried bunch of ways to convert this sequence to binary (e.g. add the numbers, subtract the numbers) but none of them came to anything. I did a little exhaustive search on all the possible ways each x(y) could contribute 2 bits to a 24-bit word, but again zippo. If each x(y) contributes 3 bits then we end up with 36 bits, not a multiple of 7 or 8. If each x(y) contributes 4 bits then we're going to get a word of the form abbbcb which doesn't look like a word to me.

Er, so I appear to be drawing a blank too.
ignatzmouse
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My latest missive to TJ19. I tried not to use the words "frustrated", "brick" or "wall".
ignatzmouse15 wrote:
"Obvious"

Hi again,

Just to keep you up-to-date with where I am stumbling around at the tail-end of your problem...

In your email to Deagol you said "Some of the numbers you are using have an obvious similarity that will tell you how to deal with everything else you have."

Well, the obvious similarities I can see are:

The numbers are all of the form 6(y) or 12(y), with 12 a multiple of 6.
There's six 6(-6)s which are of the form x(-x).
There's six 6(-6)s, four 12(-4)s, one 6(1), oh and a 6(-5) which doesn't fit.
All the numbers are x(y) where x is a multiple of y. Oh, apart from 6(-5) again.

My attempts to convert the numbers to different bases came to naught, although you get "addded" if you view 616464646564 as hex then ascii. In general, I'm a bit stumped as to how to get a sequence of letters out which doesn't match "x.x.x.x.x." or ".xxx.x" out, neither of which look likely to be English words.

Just thought I'd keep you in the loop.

Hope all is well, and the vials aren't keeping you awake at night,

I. Mouse.

I doubt "addded" is the answer, but hey ho, beggars, choosers, straws, clutching, etc.
ignatzmouse
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes you should think before pressing "send".
ignatzmouse15 wrote:
Addled
Of course if you leave the C alone and don't sub it with a 4, you get 6164646C6564 which is "addled". This actually is a word, remarkably enough.

I. Mouse.

This is the first thing I've seen that actually smells like a solution.
TOSG
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks pretty promising! And I think "addled" sums this up nicely Razz.
Luminous
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOSG wrote:

lol, if this is the solution, then once again, the facility J puzzle winds up more elegantly than I ever expected . . .

Definition:
1. addled - stale - showing deterioration from age;
2. addled - confused and vague; used especially of thinking; "muddleheaded ideas"; "your addled little brain"; "woolly thinking"; "woolly-headed ideas" muddled, woolly-headed, wooly-minded, wooly, muzzy, woolly, befuddled confused - mentally confused; unable to think with clarity or act intelligently; "the flood of questions left her bewildered and confused"

If TJ19 is smart, he'll accept this answer even if it isn't the one he's looking for Wink
Anything else would be anti-climax after this.
ignatzmouse
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luminous wrote:
TOSG wrote:

lol, if this is the solution, then once again, the facility J puzzle winds up more elegantly than I ever expected . . .

Yes, I think this is actually a reasonably elegant puzzle, now that we're at the other end of it.

I even understand TJ19's hint "Some of the numbers you are using have an obvious similarity that will tell you how to deal with everything else you have." The x's in the x(y) shifts are all multiples of 6, 6="hex", so try hexadecimal.

Assuming that this is the answer (and I'll be a tad irritable if it isn't) we will be getting a couple of vials in the mail. I don't have a P.O. box, and I'm not sure I want to hand out my home address (eek, The Order might get it and then be all kidnappy and psyopsy). Any volunteer who's not already had their maximum lifetime exposure to The Cure? Deagol, you did most of the work, do you want to do the honors?
Ziola
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Deagol can attest, I am a huge idiot when it comes to puzzle solving. Can someone give me the cliffnotes version of this solve please?
janesalteredstates
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell me someone sent J19 a message about this.
Sorry, I've had midterms this week and have been crazy busy.

I like addled. But why! I blame Walter.

So someone send this and post the response Smile If you already haven't.
ignatzmouse
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

janesalteredstates wrote:
Tell me someone sent J19 a message about this.
Sorry, I've had midterms this week and have been crazy busy.

I like addled. But why! I blame Walter.

So someone send this and post the response Smile If you already haven't.

Don't worry, it's already gone to TJ19. He's not checked his YouTube mailbox yet.

"Addled" does sound like the kind of word Walter would use to describe TJ19 or, er, us.
Musique
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ignatzmouse wrote:
"Addled" does sound like the kind of word Walter would use to describe TJ19 or, er, us.

Quote:
1. addled - stale - showing deterioration from age

Or himself.
janesalteredstates
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahah mouse I love your sig.
ignatzmouse
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to do that little victory dance.
TravelerJ19 wrote:
Re: Addled

"addled" is exactly what I was looking for. It explains my state of mind regarding what to do with the vials. It is also a jab at Walter and what must be going on in his mind using another definition: "stale - showing deterioration from age." He can dish it out, let's see if he can take it . . . please don't tell Walter I said any of that. If you think you know what to do with the vials, I need an address to send the package to.

ignatzmouse15 wrote:

> Of course if you leave the C alone and don't sub it with a 4, you get 6164646C6564 which is "ad...

Do we have a volunteer with a P.O. box?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Facility J: Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: