Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Meridian?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mincartaugh
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo wrote:
Getting away from the ley lines concept a little bit...

wikipedia.. wrote:
In the sky, a meridian is an imaginary great circle on the celestial sphere. It passes through the north point on the horizon, through the celestial pole, up to the zenith, through the south point on the horizon, and through the nadir, and is perpendicular to the local horizon.

Because it is fixed to the local horizon, stars will appear to drift past the local meridian as the earth spins. You can use an object's right ascension and the local sidereal time to determine when it will cross your local meridian, or culminate (see hour angle).

I looked into what "'sidereal time' is, and it appears it involves the equinox...

Quote:
Sidereal time is time measured by the apparent diurnal motion of the vernal equinox, which is very close to, but not identical with, the motion of stars.

So this all links in with the astronomy element of Bree's religion, with Dendera zodiac and with Alex talking about always looking into the sky....but what significance does it have? Maybe the locations on Lucy's computer are locations where certain celestial bodies can be seen at certain times?

There is more in the articles themselves which may be relevant, but too be honest I couldn't get my head round the vocabulary used Embarassed

I don't blame you. I have a vocabulary that freaks people out and even I get tired of every Tom, Dick, and professional Harry coaching their information in the most esoteric of terms.

Sidereal time is really an easy concept. Because the earth spins, the time it takes to go around the sun is different than the time someone standing on the earth takes. Have you ever played crack-the-whip? A person rotates (or walks in a circle) while holding the hand of someone else. Even if the center person is going very slow, the more people stretched out holding hands, the faster the outer person has to go to compensate for the difference in distance they have to go! A Sidereal year is the time it takes the center of the earth to go around the sun. To get an earth year you have to add on the extra distance it takes to get the outer crust to pass that time line.

So the point I think they were trying to make is that the scientists are using a point in time corresponding to the vernal equinox to measure that extra little bit between Sidereal and Real time. Your research was bang on, and the conclusions you reached "...the locations on Lucy's computer are locations where certain celestial bodies can be seen at certain times" is an exciting new step in the puzzle of the "religion" and the ceremony! Well done!
giddeanx
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravensnow27 wrote:
I hate to say, I really really do but maybe Bree IS and alien Eh?

*runs and hides*

oooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo

X
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Plot Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: