Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post Count and You
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Broken Kid
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Post Count and You Reply with quote

The LG15 forum has been going strong for nearly a year now, and many of the forum regulars have amassed quite a high post count. The forum has several sections that encourage people to write back and forth frequently - in essence, a kind of chat in forum mode - as well as fun games that people enjoy using. Because of this, it doesn't take long for anyone posting in those areas to accumulate a high post count.

We have ranks in the forum that change based on the number of posts you have. But they stop at a certain point, because those with more posts almost always have gotten there by posting in the Playhouse, Off the Cuff, and/or Get to Know Each Other.

Please keep in mind that a high post count does not mean someone spends all their time here. It most likely means they enjoy the interaction that the forum provides in chatting and games. It probably does not mean that the person has been around longer than you or knows more about the series than you.

So be proud of your post count! It shows that you're an active user who enjoys interacting with the great people on the forum. But don't put too much credence into someone else's high post count. Join in the fun in the Playhouse or OTC, and yours will probably jump up pretty quick too!
Sami
P. Monkey's Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
a high post count does not mean someone spends all their time here.

Has anyone ever said that? ... I've must have missed something, 'cus this tread seemed kinda 'out of the blue'.

And while we're at it, I don't like the ranks. I suggest we get rid of them.
And create a classless community! Laughing

Last edited by Sami on Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
milowent
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CuriousGeorge and Taig were poking fun at high post counts a bit in what became the totally depressing Concerns & Complaints threads re mod drama, but it was just in jest.

BK's post seems to have two ideas:
(1) a high post count is not a badge of shame. of course not.
(2) a high post count is not a sign of having a Ph.D. in Breeology. of course not.

i like the ranks. they don't hurt anybody. well, i guess post-whoring in serious discussion threads to reach higher levels can be annoying, but its not pervasive.

i also think a karma system is worth considering, but i know lots of people don't like those.
curiousGeorge
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, my jesting has seemed to cause a reaction from BK. Not the first time, and certainly not the last.

I could care less about post counts, unless (as I read in some thread) that it should entitle the poster to some kind of special privileges. Not sure where it was and please don't flame me and ask me to produce said thread. I know Taig admonished the poster though, so I know it did happen...

Again, barring any more attacks on my (admittedly less than gentile) nature, I would completely agree with BK that this is all supposed to be fun!

As always, I appreciate BK's fair and judicious (not sarcasm here) use of his mighty Bukanator powers. He is much more patient than I could ever be with my nonsense.

I challenge this thread to continue without a personal attack being perpetrated on anyone. Not just me. Anyone.
suze900
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I challenge this thread to continue without a personal attack being perpetrated on anyone. Not just me. Anyone.

OK, here you go. Consider it continued.

Twisted Evil
BrightSilence
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the post counts should go all together... But that's just me I guess
marlasinger
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the titles, I think they're cute and harmless.

The Bree Solution.
http://one.revver.com/watch/330795

"Also... im in ur canons... supporting all ur marlas."
-AutoPilate
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Taig
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suze900 wrote:
Quote:

OK, here you go. Consider it continued.

Twisted Evil

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

o...k ok...alright ok everythigs alright. I'll be fine.

na'ah I',m just kidding.

I agree. Let's keep it kind. I know post counts are important to some even if they aren't a very accurate guage of anything really; too many unknown variables behind the number.

Important to some irrelevant to others. Totally harmless either way.
Skunkwaffle
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I've seen work pretty well on other forums is giving everyone the same rank, no matter what their post count is, and then allowing people to make up their own rank after they've been a member of the forum for a certain amount of time, say 6 months. This will allow the people who really are here every day to have their high post counts to be proud of, and allow the people who have been keeping up on things since the beginning, but don't post as much to have their fun as well.

Also I think that ranks that do not give negative connotations to lower post counts would be nice. Things like "suspiciously absent" and "lonely fan" do carry some negative undertones.

Actually, both systems could work very well side by side. People who's post count shoot up really fast, could enjoy watching their rank changing, while for those who have been around forever, ranking can become obsolete if they so choose.
wintermute
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skunkwaffle wrote:
Things like "suspiciously absent" and "lonely fan" do carry some negative undertones.

"Suspiciously absent" is such an old in-joke that I've seen people get confused about its origins. Maybe that shows that, even if there were no negative undertones attached, it's time to retire it as a rank.

'mute

'vote 'mute in '16!
milowent
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wintermute wrote:
Skunkwaffle wrote:
Things like "suspiciously absent" and "lonely fan" do carry some negative undertones.

"Suspiciously absent" is such an old in-joke that I've seen people get confused about its origins. Maybe that shows that, even if there were no negative undertones attached, it's time to retire it as a rank.

'mute

what is the origin of that? i assumed it was a reference to anyone who posted something that sounded in-the-know with a low post count was assumed to be either a gamejacker or affiliated with the Creators (e.g., snooper72). this dated back to mysterious posters in the old forum--where rumors were rampant.

i can't remember if these titles (at least the low post count ones) were in place when the board started.
wintermute
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

milowent wrote:
what is the origin of that? i assumed it was a reference to anyone who posted something that sounded in-the-know with a low post count was assumed to be either a gamejacker or affiliated with the Creators (e.g., snooper72). this dated back to mysterious posters in the old forum--where rumors were rampant.

i can't remember if these titles (at least the low post count ones) were in place when the board started.

No, they weren't in place until mid-October. But yeah, that's pretty much it. Except I can't personally speak to anything earlier than CiW, as I was only peripherally aware of LG15 until then.

'mute

'vote 'mute in '16!
milowent
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wintermute wrote:
No, they weren't in place until mid-October. But yeah, that's pretty much it. Except I can't personally speak to anything earlier than CiW, as I was only peripherally aware of LG15 until then.

'mute

OK, thanks. The concept was equally applicable during both the pre-reveal days and the Crisis of Infinite Cassie days. In the pre-reveal days, there were quite a few people who came in claiming to know who was behind the show. The original admin, Bukanator himself, was supiciously absent most of the time. Then he would come in and create mayhem trying to moderate things -- moving threads, posts, etc., without explanation. Likely this was Miles frantically trying to keep on top of things while fielding press inquiries about "Bree" 24/7.
suze900
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

o...k ok...alright ok everythigs alright. I'll be fine.

Sure I can't get you a glass of water? I'll bet your throat's sore after that one.
Danielle
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Suspiciously absent"

Ooookay, so. This is more of 'lol' ARG style reference. Back in the CiW, early OpAphid, and other countless ARGs and fanfics that popped up in the mid to later part of the 2006 year, anyone that had a low post count was very suspicious. Heaven forbid your first post be a helpful puzzle hint, or a URL link, because by golly now you are a PM, or a shill, or a demon, or a new character, or even Cassie herself. Back in the day, there was constant shifty-eyedness over new posters and people emmerging from 'lurker' status.

Maybe it isn't funny anymore, but it certainly encouraged the pointed fingers, high tensions and all that other wonderful fun stuff back when there were a billion WMA sketchy style CassieIsPeeing accounts.

<3Dani
<DTayl> i'm the bad sister
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Suggestions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: