Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Questions and Comments About LG15
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SweenieFace
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lurker. I agree with your point about MCR and FOB forming on their own and not having a Lou Pearlman character; I remember hearing both bands before they hit it big. I was more talking about what JustAnotherLonelyGirl said in that their talents and what they sing about is similar to the boy bands of the 90’s. I was also trying to point out how one band comes out and soon 20 other bands who sound the same suddenly come out, similar to how the Backstreet Boys and *NSYNC came out and that spawned 98 degrees, LFO, Five, and tons other boy bands that I can’t remember.

I also agree with you that most bands that are classified as emo reject the title; I think it is everyone else who is labeling them emo. I did a google search of emo bands and all of the sites I came to listed both bands as emo bands. I also saw a USA Today article talking about emo bands’ song titles and there was a picture of FOB with it. I really only used them as examples of bands who are not emo because I have seen so many other posts that list them as emo bands.
Broken Kid
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustAnotherLonelyGirl. wrote:
If you want some lyrically brilliant music, try Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, the Stones, the BEATLES, billy joel... there's plenty of emotion in these REAL rock songs and they don't have to scream bloody murder or wear pants that shrink their testicles until they pop. Rolling Eyes

There's plenty of emotion in music from bands from this decade/century too. Smile I'm not diminishing those bands (except to note that all of them wrote some pretty silly songs...and those bands wore some pretty crazy clothes too...), but there are a lot of current bands (including some that get played on the radio, although I tend to dismiss radio bands) that are powerful, emotional, beautiful, intense, etc. You just have to look for them.
JustAnotherLonelyGirl.
P. Monkey's Agent

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broken Kid wrote:
If you want some lyrically brilliant music, try Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, the Stones, the BEATLES, billy joel... there's plenty of emotion in these REAL rock songs and they don't have to scream bloody murder or wear pants that shrink their testicles until they pop. Rolling Eyes

There's plenty of emotion in music from bands from this decade/century too. Smile I'm not diminishing those bands (except to note that all of them wrote some pretty silly songs...and those bands wore some pretty crazy clothes too...), but there are a lot of current bands (including some that get played on the radio, although I tend to dismiss radio bands) that are powerful, emotional, beautiful, intense, etc. You just have to look for them.

Oh I'm not disagreeing. And yes, they wrote silly songs, but they didn't write silly songs with the intention of pouring their hearts out. They didn't take the "silly" songs so seriously... Like Pink Floyd's "Bike." It's funny. Sid Barrett wrote it while he was losing his mind. Awesome stuff.

But anyway, I didn't intentionally only mention older bands. I was just naming my favorites. I think some new bands are good. I like some Motion City Soundtrack and Hot Hot Heat. I'm not sure what genre they are.. pop punk? Idk.

Just the typical "emo" bands tend to have really awful lyrics.

I don't listen to the radio much. But I often hear nice songs on it. Not usually rock-like songs though. But I am very open minded regarding music. I like some pop singers if they have nice voices. And I listen to a ton of Broadway.

I don't want to give the impression that I think all music sucks except for like 60s and 70s rock bands. I can really love anything. Classical, pop, jazz, blues, even folk. Just not emo.

trainer101 wrote:
If you want some lyrically brilliant music, try Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, the Stones, the BEATLES, billy joel...
OMG! I just fell in love! Very Happy

I love you too trainer.

And tigerlilylynn, my deepest apologies for creating such imagery. Embarassed Laughing

Lastly, Sweenieface, I actually wasn't the one that brought up emo bands sounding like boy bands from the 90's. Someone else compared the two and I said it was a good point. My point was mainly that they are both trendy at the moment, but in future years will probably be laughed at.

Also, you are right about most "emo" bands rejecting the title. I think mostly because it's considered a negative term. Which is also why I felt emo was an insult to Sarah and to Sylvia Plath. Fall Out Boy said they are not emo, but either pop or punk. But if you called them pop to one of their fans' faces, you'd probably get a lot of shit for it.
But personally, I'd listen to the Backstreet Boys over My Chemical Romance any day. "QUIT PLAYIN GAMES WITH MY HEARTTTTTTTTTTTT" ahaha.
garnet
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: stereotypes Reply with quote

So, Sarah's not the quintessential emo kid. What I’m hearing, though, is that while emo used to refer only to a style of music, it is now a stereotype. Many young ppl. openly classify themselves as emo, and as such, mock the very image they embrace. But, as with any stereotype, most emo kids are more than JUST emo. They are real people, and while they fit some of the qualifiers, few fit them all.

Sarah has some emo tendencies. Taylor is a bit of a prep. Most real ppl. don’t fit a stereotype 100%. But we use them anyway because it gives us a frame of reference. I think that’s what Bree was doing.

Here's another related question: Were the 60s and 70s an unusually fruitful time in the history of rock/pop music, or does it just take about 50 years before people begin to recognize a certain magnitude of talent? I can think of few 80s/90s bands that have reached the level of acclaim of those JALG listed above. Possibly U2 and the Ramones. . . (although neither band can be strictly limited to those decades). There are some periods in artistic and literary history which are considered richer than others. Is that's what's going on here, or should I be paying more attention to the bands of today?
JustAnotherLonelyGirl.
P. Monkey's Agent

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: stereotypes Reply with quote

garnet wrote:
So, Sarah's not the quintessential emo kid. What I’m hearing, though, is that while emo used to refer only to a style of music, it is now a stereotype. Many young ppl. openly classify themselves as emo, and as such, mock the very image they embrace. But, as with any stereotype, most emo kids are more than JUST emo. They are real people, and while they fit some of the qualifiers, few fit them all.

Sarah has some emo tendencies. Taylor is a bit of a prep. Most real ppl. don’t fit a stereotype 100%. But we use them anyway because it gives us a frame of reference. I think that’s what Bree was doing.

Here's another related question: Were the 60s and 70s an unusually fruitful time in the history of rock/pop music, or does it just take about 50 years before people begin to recognize a certain magnitude of talent? I can think of few 80s/90s bands that have reached the level of acclaim of those JALG listed above. Possibly U2 and the Ramones. . . (although neither band can be strictly limited to those decades). There are some periods in artistic and literary history which are considered richer than others. Is that's what's going on here, or should I be paying more attention to the bands of today?

I love the Ramones. =)

Like I said. I really apologize for limiting my examples to one time period. I didn't do that intentionally at all.

And yes, I would say that certain periods are considered richer than others. According to history, music and the arts flourish mostly in times of significant peace and stability.

In the U.S., which is where I live, those terms would certainly not be used to describe this particular moment in time. I will avoid my political views, but most can agree, regardless of their opinions about the Iraq war and American policies, that this is a particularly low period in the U.S.

Of course, that has little to do with Sarah being emo or not. But I'm just saying, I wouldn't call this a time of musical richness. Wink
Broken Kid
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say this is a very vibrant period with some absolutely amazing music being made. The most significant difference in the United States is with the record industry and the radio stations. Back in the 60s and 70s, there were more record labels with deep pockets, and they were giving contracts to practically everyone. As always, the cream rises to the top, so we saw some incredible bands. But the labels were also more patient, too, letting a band releases multiple albums and even eating losses on a release, which allows the band to fully develop its sound.

Today, there are five major labels, and there is little patience to allow a band to develop. The labels seem to focus more on finding new bands that fit into a niche sound to play on the radio. And because radio stations are similarly falling into large groups with like playlists, you don't hear as much good music.

Which is why you have to look a little harder these days. Because even if you can't be a billionaire rock star, you can make a lot of money on an independent label, and there are some amazing indie bands out there. You just have to look a little harder. That's why I think the fall of the free file-sharing networks is a shame...

But one thing Garnet said that is absolutely true is that it takes time to fully appreciate any media - movies, music, books, etc. We remember the Zeppelins and Beatles of the 60s, but we don't remember the radio-dominating songs that were probably quite popular at the time but had no staying power. Looking back at the 00s a few decades later, we'll probably see a similar effect.
tigerlilylynn

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about this pax romana theory. The Vietnam war era music was pretty kick ass. I think it's more the corporate chokehold. Just look at what band members look like.

The same thing happened to them as happened to the movies and television. I'd say the early 80's was the last point where a leading lady could look, god forbid, normal. This was followed by the severe shrinking and youthening of of these roles. Action stars like Connery have enjoyed the Dazed and Confused line "I get older, they stay the same age." We are now seeing an apperance/talent exchange in a lot of areas.
JustAnotherLonelyGirl.
P. Monkey's Agent

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to think of what bands/singers will have staying power in a few decades.

I'm having some trouble, I have to admit. Greenday maybe?

As long as Justin Timberlake is long forgotten, I'm fine. Laughing
rouge007
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icaterus wrote:
Alright no one gets what emo is, and it's probably ten times harder to get from reading about it.

Umm I got bored lol. So I decided to find some pictures of emo fashion from bands. There's probably better examples of kids on myspace Laughing. But the famous people are the ones who will likely influence the fashion.

Here's some photos of emo fashion from bands:

My Chemical Romance:

Fall Out Boy:

Hawthorne Heights:

Good Charlotte (they're probably more punkish):

Green Day (they're not really emo, but their style is similar):

Avril Lavigne (she went through a sort of emoish phase):

Yea now I'm still bored...

Also I'm from NZ and I think emos dress more black here. I mean totally geared in black clothes. Emo's a new clique... so if I say 'no one gets it' does that sound to emo..? Confused

I'm sorry but the bands and singer that I left up there I listen to and does that make me emo? I mean I can be depressed at times but I can just be normal and I get classfied as emo alot and I am just like a normal person I watch TV I play games I listen to music. I dress in black so does this make me emo?
numbvox
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll admit I only read the first 60% of this thread.

And I'll acknowledge that language is dynamic - it grows and changes. So theoretically, what one word meant once may not be what it means now.

But I'm still of the train of thought that "emo" is what it was originally, a branch off of hardcore punk. From the amazing Rites of Spring on, emo wasn't the Hot Topic fashion scene that people seem to call it today. Not a single band on Icaterus' list is really emo or anything even remotely close. Real emo is not "the new goth."

Want to learn about real emo? The best resource is still fourfa.
http://www.fourfa.com/
It's definitely worth the time to check out, maybe you'll learn something.

Also, check out Rites of Spring. They're not polished by any means, but they're utterly beautiful, and they're the ones that started this whole thing off.
numbvox
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and to clarify - you want to read the history section of Fourfa.

http://www.fourfa.com/history.htm

Edit:
Also, if you're not interested in reading Fourfa, you can skip right ahead to hearing some mp3 examples of true emo, including Rites of Spring on this page here:
http://www.mesaverde.co.uk/mp3/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Questions and Comments About LG15 All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: