Difference between revisions of "User talk:JayHenry"
(→Bot up and running)
|Line 222:||Line 222:|
You'll see in just a minute.--[[User:LB15|LB15]] 12:51, 21 March 2007 (CDT)
You'll see in just a minute.--[[User:LB15|LB15]] 12:51, 21 March 2007 (CDT)
== Bot up and running ==
== Bot up and running ==
Revision as of 18:12, 21 March 2007
A fresh start for 2007! To relive all the classic memories from my 2006 talk page: click here!
Note: This page is no longer reserved for discussion of P.Diddy. Other topics are now acceptable.
- 1 Simian Liberation Front
- 2 Iris2009
- 3 2000 edits?!
- 4 OIC lives
- 5 Frank
- 6 New Page
- 7 Bree's religion
- 8 TWJ
- 9 LG362436 screencaps uploaded
- 10 LonesomeOctober
- 11 Newcomer Page/"Catch Up" Page
- 12 Brucker status
- 13 "Danial" vandal
- 14 Not so lonesome?
- 15 Mentioned in my Pedia recruitment video
- 16 Speaking of videos...
- 17 Changed
- 18 Template:CharIndex
- 19 Categories
- 20 Images.
- 21 Aphidpedia
- 22 Thumbs up!
- 23 Now Questions
- 24 Admin discussion page
- 25 Medal of Assistance Award
- 26 Your fight against the sidebar
- 27 Cassieissilent
- 28 Template
- 29 Bot up and running
Simian Liberation Front
Don't tease Ogog now, Jayhenry. (Apparently, I'm not very clever or slick.) In addition, I have some questions about the Simian Liberation Front and adding them to the LgPedia. However, upon speaking with its creator, he has a request. Whenever you get a chance (yikes, I know you're busy), please repond to the brief PM that I sent you on the forum. (I didn't want to bother you with an email for this minor matter.) Thanks! Ogog 13:39, 1 January 2007 (CST)
- Oh yeah, Happy Birthday! (I was lurking at the cove and saw your bday listed.) Ogog 17:22, 1 January 2007 (CST)
seems that My vido page need some help i wont edit it because everone says im self promoting can i get a little help all videos are listed in the links section..thanks.. --Iris2009 13:49, 2 January 2007 (CST)
- It seems that we need a policy on fan pages. Probably at LGPedia: Fan pages. There have been issues with this before, and if we just develop a policy, it gives us something to turn to. I notice their appears to be a small revert war around the Unofficial Spin-Offs section of the main page as well. Our new policy should address that.--JayHenry 14:34, 2 January 2007 (CST)
Thanks, for the idea of that. im going to let everone else write the policy because i did that last two policys..or was it three. so what ever any decides..i just think if they make enough video's they should have a fan page any others should be a user page :) as well as i like my page its just never up to date. thanks agian :) --Iris2009 15:16, 2 January 2007 (CST)
LG15 to a large degree is supposed to be about promoting fanfic storylines. What I have found most often promoted is abuse. As any other tools for creating and maintaining a storyline are lacking, I find that the LGpedia is a good medium through which to try and convey the story and provide any external data in one place. I know for myself personally I have a LOT of work to do to bring in quite a few external links from a few places that they have been posted and get it organized so people can go through it and say OHHH!...that is where that came from. I don't have enough fans that remember or understand where all this stuff is posted. IF I don't self edit/self promote nobody will ever understand what the heck was really trying to be conveyed. Nobody can actually do it for me. I realize that a Pedia is supposed to be an encyclopedic tome and not a storybook but considering we have no other good alternatives, I have decided its my best shot to get my data organized and things told in a coherent fashion, especially since it's got MOST of the externals to my story right there for me to link to. My intention is to get it up to what I consider full speed and then..let it go. It boils down to this..most people are lazy and just wanna watch..until I made the page for myself it didn't exist..even to say "You suck more than Hoover." Generally, right now I am riding rough shod over it trying to get it to a certain point. If had been doing it all along..I might not have had to do it mostly myself...but.. it's at a point now.. Nobody else can do it. I'll more than likely get in some revert wars in the next few weeks..but it's something I need to do to keep my thoughts organized until the true framework is there..then..I'll let things roll from there. That's not saying I am gonna revert any changes or additions..even negative ones..it just depends on how it disrupts where I am trying to get the page to. Actually, I am sure it was MsKelly that added the info about my HSAO video and that was welcome and I added to that..the..umm negative part..haha.
As a matter of fact..I think I am the person responsible for much of the talk here today.
I was in the revert war. I moved myself and some others that I thought belonged on the front page with the other fanfiction. The actual war that was brewing was over the order the names were in. My position was Alphabetize...their's was to put my link last. I am kind of middle of the alphabet so honestly that's actually less likely to be noticed than first or last. It was a pretty nonsensical move on their part if you ask me and some others agreed. That point is moot now since the front page is redesigned and I really like it for the most part. Now for the other matter...Iris's issue and self promotion/self editing.
- First rule of Self promotion/self editing - DO NOT IMPLY YOU MIGHT BE CANON.
- Second rule of Sp/Sm - DO NOT IMPLY YOU MIGHT BE CANON.
- Third rule of Sp/Sm - DO NOT IMPLY YOU MIGHT BE CANON.
Iris I was the one that was changing your page and actually everything I wrote were things that people had said or that happened..except the pepto comment and well..that was funny and not really hateful cause I mean..C'mon..Habenero Peppers? DUDE? YOU NEED SOME PINK STUFF after that..though I actually intended to take that out..a boy has to have a LITTLE fun. Part of the point I was trying to get across to you was that you need to STOP claiming you are official or implying it. With that said.. GO back to doing your own page to get it started. Stick to the facts. LordGreystoke422 5 january 10:14
Welcome to the crazy club, dude. --Brucker 17:20, 9 January 2007 (CST)
awww, it's nice to be missed. I have been lurking and making a few anonymous contributions here and there. I think I'm in a Bree-like state of shock over what the story has turned into. Hopefully the Userbox I put on my page conveys that message! TWJ's resignation is a curveball too... I really liked him. Ok, time for some real work! OwenIsCool 02:05, 11 January 2007 (CST)
Clicking the name Frank on the cassieiswatching page or elsewhere brings you to the Frankiswakingpage. As far as I can tell these are two separate individuals. How can I undo that redirect for the word Frank so I can make a separate page for disucssion about the now allegedly deceased Frank for the blogspot page. LordGreystoke422 9:43 11 January 2007 (CST)
- Jay I am not sure exactly what a disambiguation page means exactly in this context. Obviously it deals with removing any ambiguity, of which there is PLENTY with the word Frank. I am assuming that Frank will be an all encompassing page with short discussions of each "Frank" defining each and discussions on their relations or lack thereof, with more detailed analysis of each "Frank" on their own VERY SPECIFICALLY defined Page. i.e. Frankiswaking, BlogSpot Frank(canyouhearher.blogspot.com),Uncle Franklin,G-mail Frank. It is INDEED very confusing but ultimately could be great fun to work on because there's a lot of SPECULATIVE stuff involved here...Canon LG15,Canon CiW..possible jacking on multiple levels. Since it's such a mess it lends itself well to playing with the word..since the situation is so totally "Franked" up. Just as long as we all put our heads together and don't tell each other to "Frank" off..we'll be fine.(Sorry..an old joke from when BlogSpot Frank "died".) I do have a pretty good idea in my head of EXACTLY who each Frank is as a separate entity so I think we can get there. LordGreystoke422 10:24 11 January 2007 (CST)
I saw Bree's religion on your to-do list. I was wondering if you'd like to merge that with the Order article, since Bree's religion is actually the Order. When I was trying to rewrite it, I included a section on the religious undertones of the Order, so that section could probably accomodate the "Bree's religion" content well. Whadya think? OwenIsCool 20:19, 18 January 2007 (CST)
- Oh wow, somehow I missed that you had done all that work on The Order article. Huge improvement! Yeah, I think we can merge the two articles, in fact, let me go formally propose that we do exactly that. And then, we can start working on improving the entire religion category.--JayHenry 21:01, 18 January 2007 (CST)
- Actually, I went to write the merge proposal and it occured to me that maybe we should keep Bree's religion as a separate article. Maybe a change of name is due, but it'd be nice to have separate articles for "What we know about The Order" and "How Bree's religion played into the story both before and after it was known to be The Order." Does that make sense?--JayHenry 21:04, 18 January 2007 (CST)
- Yeah, I see what you mean. That could work too. I say definitely give it a shot, and if it doesn't prove worthwhile, you can always just merge it to the Order article. If we keep them separate, they should each probably link to each other prominently. OwenIsCool 14:10, 21 January 2007 (CST)
But it also has his sec post about leaving so my first post has all that was on there including what he wrote. plus the sec post..plus what creators said and also.--Iris2009 16:53, 19 January 2007 (CST)
- Okay, fair point. I switched it back to your version.--JayHenry 16:54, 19 January 2007 (CST)
I wasnt trying to be mean or nothin. on the forum, i was trying to keep it all together for LGpedia,that way we had it all in one place you know what i mean? sorry agian..--Iris2009 16:57, 19 January 2007 (CST)
- No worries, you weren't mean at all. I think you're right. It's nice to have the information all in one thread.--JayHenry 16:59, 19 January 2007 (CST)
LG362436 screencaps uploaded
Hey, saw LO on your to-do, so I made the template to use on the video pages. I'm a big fan and I wish he hadn't stopped making these videos! OwenIsCool 16:55, 24 January 2007 (CST)
Newcomer Page/"Catch Up" Page
I PM'd you, but I don't think the message got through. It got hung up in my "outbox." So, the Creators suggested I post here. Thanks.
Image:From: The Creators Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:46 pm Subject: Re: Newcomer Page/Catch Up Page
Jay Henry does a lot of work on the LGPedia. Please work with him
to make the pages you created a more integral part of the guide.
There's a short version of this story, a long version, and a very long version. Here's the short one: My last day on my current job is Wednesday, and virtually all of the work I do here is during downtime at work. After Wednesday, anything ranging from "Not only never posting here again, but never watching another LG15 video" to "Everything exactly the same" is possible, I don't know at this time. Just giving you a short heads up; e-mail me if you want more info. (That offer open to Jay, not just anyone coming across this message.) --Brucker 20:21, 29 January 2007 (CST)
- Just so you know, I decided to apply to the governor for a stay of execution. I may be around for a while yet. --Brucker 19:01, 30 January 2007 (CST)
I think we got it all. When I click on their user contributions I don't see rollback on any of them. Of course, that could just be because someone else has done other edits since then, but it's unlikely. LG422 was on it right away, and so was another anonymous user. I only reverted about a third of it. Thankfully it all came from the same IP, so even if it's a pain to go through all the edits, at least there's a full list of them. Or to be sure we could run a search for "Danial", that should turn up any vandalized pages. Honestly, this moron beat the pants off StarLady and her page-blanking... at least she quit after like 10. OwenIsCool 21:36, 29 January 2007 (CST)
- 101 Damnvandals!
I am pretty sure we got them all. There was almost NO activity during his "work" I caught him about 2/3rds through and worked my way up. One other person reverted 2 pages and then OIC got on and he checked the ding dongs contribution page and hit the editor rollback on him and got the rest. So.I think we got em. --LordGreystoke422 21:39, 29 January 2007 (CST)
Not so lonesome?
Wow... I hadn't even seen LO on your to-do list, nor OwenIsCool's template... actually, I noticed that the Lonelygirl15 Cthulhu Interview page didn't have a link to the actual vid, so I was like, what the heck, I'll just overhaul the page and transcribe the vid.
I agree, they're very fun, extremely clever videos, and I hope he does more of 'em. ~ Jbshryne 00:05, 30 January 2007 (CST)
- Please, just because something is on my to-do list, don't ever let that stop you from pitching in whenever and wherever you want to help. LonesomeOctober is what kept me going in those dark days of mid-September.--JayHenry 00:08, 30 January 2007 (CST)
Mentioned in my Pedia recruitment video
Hey Jay Henry just wanted to tell you to peek at my new video and make sure its ok by you since I mention you and the other guys at the end. Also, I wanted to mention that.. the SQUELCHING comment in the video did not have any of you 3 admin in mind when I made it..its with regards to another matter also..it fits my whole scenario..so..anyway..let me know if you are cool with it..if not I will pull it.. AIM me..same name if you want to chat about it. --LordGreystoke422 19:45, 30 January 2007 (CST)
Great video LGS422 :)--Iris2009 20:26, 30 January 2007 (CST)
Speaking of videos...
What do you think? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epVQ18II5Q0 (I've got a half-dozen hidden messages in there of varying levels of encoding, and I'm wondering how many OpAphid junkies will be able to extract them?) --Brucker 13:06, 2 February 2007 (CST)
- LOL, that's amazing. Is that really you? Now that you've made a video do you get an actual article, and not just a userpage? I posted a video from this one time that I won a golf tournament -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DH5thjMFR8 --JayHenry 15:10, 2 February 2007 (CST)
- Yeah, I did it in low light early this morning and did some minor things to change my appearance, but essentially that's me. I kept getting pissed that YouTube cuts off the ending, as the original video has half a second more with another pointless hidden message, but I can't figure out how to fix it. --Brucker 15:23, 2 February 2007 (CST)
- I just might warrant a page. I was going to drop it with that, but then... Well, stay tuned, it's turning into a series, although I think a limited one. I got the footage for two more videos, and expect to end it there, but there might be one or two more if I come up with material. --Brucker 22:47, 4 February 2007 (CST)
- Well... I say keep plugging away. Today was proof that if fan videos are absurd enough they have a chance of eventually becoming canon material.--JayHenry 00:55, 5 February 2007 (CST)
Okay, the second one is uploaded, it should be accessible soon. It's funny, but making all these stupid codes is addictive. I wonder if anyone's going to decode them or not? --Brucker 12:06, 5 February 2007 (CST)
Ah, the third will be up later today. I had someone else film for me, and I didn't check the quality like I should have, so...it's not that great. Still, I ended up having some great fun with the audio. --Brucker 13:32, 7 February 2007 (CST)
- At this rate you'll be a video whore elite like myself in no time Brucker. If I were less clueless I would make some userboxes for different levels of Video WHOREHOOD.--LordGreystoke422 15:58, 7 February 2007 (CST)
No, I really think I'm done. I came up with a really good anagram for an itscassie response video, but the stupidest thing she seems to have done is failing to check for the presence of an alarm on the door. The whole idea for the series was to just point out the stupidest thing each blogger did, so what more is there? Except that I do like the idea of userboxes for fan video producers. --Brucker 16:24, 7 February 2007 (CST)
Changed. I want to PM you or instant message you, but for some reason, I cannot.
I Like how you put that together its very helpful --Iris2009 17:02, 6 February 2007 (CST)
Darn you for teaching me the category game to begin with! hehe, *puts splints on wrists* OwenIsCool 01:53, 16 February 2007 (CST)
Where does this belong? http://www.lonelygirl15.com/lgpedia/index.php?title=Image:Iris2009.JPG --TJ Marsh 16:41, 16 February 2007 (CST)
Why is the aphidpedia getting a revamp? Have there been problems? There isn't anything on the discussion page. oops, forgot to sign, Tigerlilylynn 16:42, 18 February 2007 (CST)
Not sure whether I oughtta respond here or on my own page? So... CherShayToute is a play on a French phrase that means "look for it all." It's a play on an online/offline nickname, sorta, too. Pronounced like the singer, Cher, then Shay (just like it looks like it should), then the number 2. I respond best to Shay, for short. The couple folks who've shortened it on the boards have made me look over my shoulder, wondering... :D
As far as the Nikki B articles... I'm on it! ;) Can I find you later to make sure I got the formatting less than wobbly? (I had found the Wiki For Dummies goodies earlier... <chuckle>) -- Chershaytoute 09:38, 21 February 2007 (CST)
Hey, Jay! I've got a huge start on things - the audio's complete on Nikki's Slurpee article, now I'm dealing with the actual video part (which I've the beginnings of a handle on). Questions are going to start appearing - should I throw them on the discussion page there, here, or on my own talk page? Till you tell me, here's the first one (posting it here on on that page's talk page, too):
Help! I'm going to need help with this page - this is my first time taking on this big a project on my own... First one...where do I find a link to the avatar that was used for a while when Brother/Tach took over Gemma's YT account? - Chershaytoute 14:56, 22 February 2007 (CST)
I seem to be finding answers as I go, sorta... I found the avatar picture, but I don't know how to link to it...or toward it, I guess - guess link to the page it's found on? It's Hackedgemma.jpg... But I kinda figure out how to do things by looking at how they've been done on other pages, and I haven't figured this one out yet...so far... <smile>
Next, the mossymansions LonelyGirl15 song that's already mentioned on the spinoffs page...a user (not the person who put up the video) already posted the words to it. I thought that might make life mighty easy...but I have no idea how to put a page together - there has to be a template...where are those found? (I know I'm not ready for these...but figured I'd ask for eventually)
Hope you've had a grand weekend by the time you get back!! -- Chershaytoute 20:55, 22 February 2007 (CST)
No questions here...just hoping you had an absolutely wonderful whatever it was wherever you went, Jay! ;) (but, I'm going to do the other two NBR pages pre-anything else <beaming smile>) -- 184.108.40.206 15:30, 27 February 2007 (CST) Hmmm... problems with our service provider goin' south...repeatedly... This was me... <shaking head> -- Chershaytoute 15:35, 27 February 2007 (CST)
Admin discussion page
Medal of Assistance Award
Congratulations you are the first user to get the Medal of Assistance Award so congratulations you can put it on your userpage.
Saw you had some revisions of the sidebar earlier, and just wanted to point out the manual ;)
Basically, the "-url" targets correspond to MediaWiki:*-url pages, which, in turn, have the target destination as their only content.
- Renegade 13:28, 27 February 2007 (CST)
- Thanks. But, as you can see, I figured it out -- List of videos is new to the navigation bar.--JayHenry 13:47, 27 February 2007 (CST)
- Yeah, seen it...but it won't be the last time you edit that page ;)
- Renegade 14:11, 27 February 2007 (CST)
- Yeah, seen it...but it won't be the last time you edit that page ;)
Looks great man :) --TJ Marsh 16:07, 5 March 2007 (CST)
Hey i just want to bring this up that this link goes to the myspace of Cassie is silent. But i noticed a comment left by Trazan that i find very distrubing. please read it.. it on her comments. Thanks. let me know if we need to do something or keep a eye open.. http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=158561909 --TJ Marsh 16:02, 5 March 2007 (CST)
I noticed what she did and then i strolled through links about her and i noticed what Tarzan said, just wanted to let you know, i care about Lgpedia and dont plan on any kind of attacks missing up the things we do, if you know what i mean. She also did the same thing on the comments of CIW youtube, she promoted herself saying she is the real one.did you warn her already?--TJ Marsh 16:14, 5 March 2007 (CST)
You'll see in just a minute.--LB15 12:51, 21 March 2007 (CDT)
This is what its going to be used for.--LB15 13:12, 21 March 2007 (CDT)
Bot up and running
I've got the bot up and running and it's working great. I got some formatting fixes done but thought that you might want to authorize it as a bot before I tackle the YouTube tags. Also, I'm thinking that the bot's talk page would be a good place for people to post jobs that the bot might be able to do. Sound good?--Jonpro 22:58, 14 March 2007 (CDT)
- There are different "functions" that the bot can do, like replace one string of text with another, mass-add a category to a list of pages, resolve broken and double redirects, etc. You can specify a certain list of pages for this to apply to (i.e. the pages in a certain category or that link to a certain page) or have it apply to all pages. Basically, you tell the bot exactly what you want it to do and to what pages. Then, it will start searching through those pages and find things that match your criteria. For example, for the formatting fixes that I already did, I said to replace ''( with ('' and )'' with ''). When it found a page, it applied the replacement and showed me a preview of the new page that highlighted the changes. If it looked like it was doing everything right, I would say "yes" and it would make the changes and continue searching through the pages. If it did something unexpected (like change '''Daniel Returns, and More Interesting Factoids (Yay!)''' to '''Daniel Returns, and More Interesting Factoids (Yay!'')', then I had the option of skipping this page and continuing on. For a few pages like this, I went ahead and let it make the edit (to fix all the other instances of this problem on the page) then went in myself to change the messed up part back. I haven't looked into all the "functions" yet, but I'm sure they'll be pretty useful. Anyway, I think this pretty much explains it. If anything didn't make sense, just let me know.--Jonpro 23:18, 14 March 2007 (CDT)
- Jonpro, when I do bot-like edits, I try and make use of the ability to search for spaces. e.g., if you want to find ")''" and not ")'''", then oftne the best thing is to search for ")'' " (note the space); this gives a higher rate of accuracy. Actually, it makes it virtually impossible to mistakenly edit something you don't want to, and instead you miss an occasional edit, but not many. ~~~~